Familiarity breeds contempt?

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

oh Dolfy,

boy do you have a lot to learn!!

bob.

No, I learnt to avoid grumpy old farangs long ago. You are a Pattaya man. No clue about real Thailand. No idea about people skills.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I believe Bob's stories!

maybe one day Dolfy will also come round..

I wouldn’t bet on it though!

bob.

Edited by bob smith

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

No, I learnt to avoid grumpy old farangs long ago. You are a Pattaya man. No clue about real Thailand. No idea about people skills.

so much to learn, so little time, eh Dolfy?

bob.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

To know them is to dislike them!

You said you only hang out with other Brits and not many friends so it seems you dislike people from 190 countries.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I learnt to avoid almost everyone that isn't British!

Opposite of my experience. The more I frequent a place the happier they are to see me.  Speak Thai to them which they like and refuse any tips I leave saying my continued patronage means more to them.

Must be you Bob.  More negative experiences in a week than everyone else in a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

You said you only hang out with other Brits and not many friends so it seems you dislike people from 190 countries.

I find it almost impossible to cope with more than 2 friends.

(A friend is someone you meet up with at least once a week, one on one)

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can tell Pattaya is a realistic view of Thailand as a whole.

Just a little more obvious and out in the open.

Those who live elsewhere try to pretend where they live is different and how their woman is different, but in reality it's all the same.

Well people are the same across the globe basically but you only like Brits so your people skills arent the best.

Humans are basically magnets. If you only attract problems like Bob says then he's using the wrong magnet.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Opposite of my experience. The more I frequent a place the happier they are to see me.  Speak Thai to them which they like and refuse any tips I leave saying my continued patronage means more to them.

Must be you Bob.  More negative experiences in a week than everyone else in a lifetime.

Suspect it's more to do with Bob being out and about more than us.

Mixing with Thais usually ends in tears.

• Thanks 1

I've got a personal rule that if I run into 3 buttwads in a row, I have to look back over my own behavior. Maybe it's me.

We all have bad days.  Some of us, bad decades I imagine.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I've started to notice a pattern emerging.

I usually go out to eat and drink quite a lot in various places around Thailand.

Whenever I go somewhere new for the first time they are always all smiles, greeting me and lavishing me with their service.

However, I have noticed that once I return to the same establishment and they recognize my face the servers arent nearly as friendly.

Now if i get chatting with them and I have had a few I will sometimes let my guard down and start speaking with them in Thai.

This is when things become critical.

They either warm to this, or as is in the case of the woman the other day - they get offended by it.

I am a pretty well dressed guy and I usually dine alone.

So naturally the girls/waitresses want to get to know me a bit more.

sometimes they even sit at my table. they ask questions like ‘how long you stay here?’ ‘you have thai girlfriend?’..

sometimes I give them a cover story, depending on how I gauge the atmosphere in the place (are they scammy, etc)

but other times I let my guard down and tell all.

I have definitely noticed a pattern emerging:

The places were I play the dumb farang on holiday welcome me with open arms every time,

the places that know the real me start to become more aloof and even (i think) dislike me after my 4 or 5th visit.

The truth is, I am a wealthy farang who has done good here,

I think many of them don’t like that and are envious of me.

or is it just a classic case of familiarity breeding contempt? 

do I just need to find a new place to eat?

This has happened on multiple occasions in different parts of the country.

I decided to start this a while back as kind of a social experiment.

What I found was the dumb farang fresh off the boat gets more respect and better service than the average Thai speaking expat does.

Make of that what you will.

bob.

Are you fluent in Thai or is it bar girl talk pom.pui etc etc

Just now, Dolf said:

Well people are the same across the globe basically but you only like Brits so your people skills arent the best.

I agree, most people across he globe are despicable, so by narrowing my meeting to only other Brits I bypass all the communication and cultural differences that could arise.

• Haha 1

Bob does not get out much. He lives in Pattaya amongst trash. Worst farangs, worst Thais. Good people avoid the place. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I have noticed that once I return to the same establishment and they recognize my face the servers arent nearly as friendly

Aren't you embarrassed posting this information. 

It's obvious you've shown them how negative and bitter you are towards Thailand and its people on the first visit, so every other visit they won't be as friendly. 

You are more than likely sitting there all miserable and horrible, complaining about this and that, then not even leaving a tip. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I agree, most people across he globe are despicable, so by narrowing my meeting to only other Brits I bypass all the communication and cultural differences that could arise.

Humans are just animals. Learn to pat them on the head.

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Humans are just animals. Learn to pat them on the head.

You and me baby aren't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on Discovery channels.

Bloodhound gang - Bad Touch

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Communication? Thank god you arent a Scouse or from Manchester or one of those Geordie mumblers.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Not really . I'm out every day and never have any of the issues he imagines he has. However , I don't live in a tourist area so the locals have not had to deal with a lot of foreigners on a daily basis.

When I mix with Thais it usually ends with smiles . 

I had a German aquaintance , who when speaking to Thais , used to tilt his head slightly back and talk down his nose at them and talk with a superior tone. 

The contempt was usually mutual.

Kept coming back to Thailand though. Strange that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

To know them is to dislike them!

Is it cool if I read/hear this as Madonna singing Beautiful Stranger?

To know you is to love you
You're everywhere I go

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Bob does not get out much. He lives in Pattaya amongst trash. Worst farangs, worst Thais. Good people avoid the place. 

do you work for the pattaya tourism board by any chance?

bob.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Not really . I'm out every day and never have any of the issues he imagines he has. However , I don't live in a tourist area so the locals have not had to deal with a lot of foreigners on a daily basis.

When I mix with Thais it usually ends with smiles . 

I had a German aquaintance , who when speaking to Thais , used to tilt his head slightly back and talk down his nose at them and talk with a superior tone. 

The contempt was usually mutual.

Kept coming back to Thailand though. Strange that.

I bet he hangs out in the most touristy part of Pattaya.