Booze battle: Thailand still missing the middle path in alcohol control

snoop1130

Untitled-design-2-2.png

No less than four draft laws on alcohol control will soon go before Parliament, but none appear to contain a middle path that will satisfy everyone.

Two drafts, one proposed by the Public Health Ministry’s Disease Control Department (DCD) and the other by an anti-alcohol group, push for strict control – apparently out of concern about health and other impacts of drinking.

The two other drafts, one written by a pro-alcohol group and the other by Move Forward MP and craft-beer champion Taopiphop Limjittrakorn, seek to break monopoly-like conditions in the industry, which is dominated by just a handful of brewing giants.

Along with these, the government’s eight-point recommendation will also join the fray.

Strict rules

Since the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act was enacted in 2008, Thailand has ranked among countries with tight restrictions on the advertising, sale and consumption of booze.

This Act outlaws any form of advertising that displays, directly or indirectly, an alcoholic beverage’s brand or trademark.

Displaying even a picture of a glass of beer can result in a hefty fine.

“I’ve heard that one restaurant was fined close to 1 million baht once,” said Asst Prof Dr Charoen Charoenchai, a lecturer at Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi’s Faculty of Agricultural Technology.

Charoen, who leads the group behind one of the draft laws to liberalize alcohol, believes authorities have tightened control until there is almost no room to breathe.

“I don’t think this Alcohol Beverage Control Law is normal since it authorizes the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to add new stipulations.”

“Normally, legal changes should come from the legislature,” the lecturer said.

Rumors suggest the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board is planning to tag packaging with pictures depicting the dangers of alcohol consumption.

More power to control consumption?

Charoen said that if the DCD’s draft becomes law, authorities and officials will be handed inappropriate powers.

For instance, officials will have the power to search and inspect breweries or retailers selling alcohol without a search warrant.

There is concern that this will also open the door to corruption and harassment by unscrupulous officials.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-25

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Since the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act was enacted in 2008, Thailand has ranked among countries with tight restrictions on the advertising, sale and consumption of booze.

Actually I have found it very relaxed and easy to buy or consume alcohol in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Actually I have found it very relaxed and easy to buy or consume alcohol in Thailand?

Yes they make a fair bit of fuss about the negatives it might cause but heaven forbid any actions to restrict it...... anyhow, nearly 4am, need to get a couple of rounds in before I drive home!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes they make a fair bit of fuss about the negatives it might cause but heaven forbid any actions to restrict it...... anyhow, nearly 4am, need to get a couple of rounds in before I drive home!

Clunk-click every trip.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This Act outlaws any form of advertising that displays, directly or indirectly, an alcoholic beverage’s brand or trademark.

Other than the nonstop giant billboards everywhere showing the names and logos of the biggest beer companies - but oh, sorry, those are actually advertising "club soda" and "mineral water"...

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the other by an anti-alcohol group, push for strict control – apparently out of concern about health and other impacts of drinking.

I hope it will pass.🙏 Alternatively double the price for alcohol. 👍

And what have these restrictions/laws/rules ever done for actually deterring Thai people from drinking.  As far as i know Thais drink just as much as most other countries.  It's feels like that isn't the government's aim and its just about power and control🤔😉

Edited by paulikens

20 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Given the "roll" this "government" is on, nothing will get voted into law.

And if you take a picture of that beer we'll send you to jail.

I can remember a few years back when Thais got arrested because they showed a pic on Facebook

There are things they can do.

First, give the police a mandate to charge and arrest anyone drinking and driving. PERIOD

Then take away their cars in a lot.

Also, and this will upset many Farang, the rules about hours of service and selling alcohol should be changed. Any restaurant or bar that sells beer before 12 should be charged and closed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I can remember a few years back when Thais got arrested because they showed a pic on Facebook

There are things they can do.

First, give the police a mandate to charge and arrest anyone drinking and driving. PERIOD

Then take away their cars in a lot.

Also, and this will upset many Farang, the rules about hours of service and selling alcohol should be changed. Any restaurant or bar that sells beer before 12 should be charged and closed.

Can't argue with your first point but when the legal selling time is 11am, not quite so sure about the second, especially in tourist areas, where many Scandinavians are fond of a beer with breakfast!

43 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Can't argue with your first point but when the legal selling time is 11am, not quite so sure about the second, especially in tourist areas, where many Scandinavians are fond of a beer with breakfast!

Like I said it was not going to be popular LOL

There is nothing stopping them from having breakfast at home in their apartment.  The guys i see sitting at the bars watching people are not eating LOL