Bank Guarantee letter for extension of stay based on retirement.

Has anyone encountered this kind of stupidity from their bank?

I'm due for my extension of stay next week. Was at my local bank branch yesterday and enquired, seeing as I had so much trouble with them last year, whether they now understood what was required in the bank guarantee letter, and showed them what was required from a copy of a previous bank guarantee letter, as I didn't want to be spending 2 1/2 hours in the branch again this year, like I did last year because the staff, including the branch manager, had absolutely no idea what a bank guarantee letter was and they had to continually telephone their Head Office for instructions on what to do PLUS I had to sign so many different forms, which had never been previously required, all under the guise of new bank policy.

The first thing the staff told me yesterday was that the bank's new policy does not allow them to issue a bank guarantee letter certifying that the funds have been in the bank for the required seasoning period prior to the application, and if they did they would be fired. They gave me a template of what they are supposedly allowed to issue. It was actually a letter certifying funds for a new visa application. I took the template to my local Immigration Office (they only do 90 day reports & TM30's) and they stated that the format was not acceptable as it did not comply with the Police Order requirements. The Senior Officer photographed the template and sent it to CM Immigration via LINE and then telephoned CM. CM confirmed with me that the template letter was not acceptable.

The local Imm Office then gave me a printout of the documents required (in Thai & English) which I took back to the bank branch. Even after seeing this they still said they could not issue the required bank guarantee letter, but they would send a copy to their Head Office and call me back.

Received the phone call this morning, and despite seeing the content of the required documents as set out in the Police Order, the bank's Head Office advised the branch staff they could NOT issue a bank guarantee letter as required by Immigration.

I then telephoned CM Immigration to enquire as to what I could do if the bank continues to refuse to issue the bank guarantee letter with the required mandatory information. The chap I spoke to was quite helpful actually. Although he did state that I must have the bank guarantee letter he was understanding as to the situation and said he would have his supervisor contact BKK Immigration Head Office so they could contact my bank's Head Office and tell them they are required by law to issue the bank guarantee letter and that failure to do so could result in the bank and the employees involved being prosecuted. Although I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

I also lodged a lengthy formal written complaint with the bank's Head Office this morning. So will be interesting to see the outcome. They've got until Friday next week to get it sorted.

• Sad 1

If using money in the bank method the statement letter only needs to show the account name and the balance at that time.

Copies of the bank book deposits and withdrawals shows how long the money has been in the account.

Personally have never been asked for the bank letter to contain verification of how long the money has been deposited. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

bank guarantee letter

It is not a guarantee in the true sense, it is just to state that account is your name TTBOMK it doesn't Guarantee you have xxxxb in their bank, the statement and update of your Bank book does that. Could be lost in translation, What bank was it? 

Normally for an extension of stay you need the following;

Bank letter attesting to name and account number for the bank account – dated on the day of application or, if applying early in the morning, the previous day, nothing to do with verify seasoning period.

A bank statement for 12 months or a photo copy of bank passbook page(s) (if using fixed deposit account) that show the following: (may differ from IO to IO.)

o At least 800,000 baht for 2 preceding months.

o At least 800,000 baht for the 3 months after date of last application.

o At least 400,000 baht for the remaining 7 months.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 2

If it is CM immigration and using the 800,000 in the bank method then they now require a one year statement, updated pass book and the letter!  Luckily I went to my agent a month before my retirement extension was due and was told that the requirement for the one year bank statement was a new requirement from CM Immigration.  I takes one week to get the statement even though the only transactions every year are the addition of interest and the withdrawal of the withholding tax!!

PS;  I confirmed this requirement with 3 agencies in CM and had the wife speak to CM IO!

13 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If it is CM immigration and using the 800,000 in the bank method then they now require a one year statement, updated pass book and the letter! 

Seems some immigration offices are moving to "bank statements " for money in bank method.

CW included. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not the bank.

You do not understand the "bank letter" and other requirements.

Outlined clearly  by @Georgealbert and others.

Commenting incorrectly again Dr Jack.

Did you read the entire post? I doubt it based on your reply.

You're developing a habit of only partially reading posts and then posting comments that are either wrong or irrelevant.

I don't need you to refer me to things others have outlined or for you to WRONGLY state "I do not understand the bank letter and other requirements".  I've been doing this annually at CM for the past 10 years completely trouble free until my bank started to screw me around due to their lack of knowledge and incompetence. 

IT IS THE BANK. They have changed their policy and REFUSE to issue bank guarantee letters stating that the 800k has been in the account for the seasoning period prior to the application despite being shown a copy of the Police Order, in Thai and English, CLEARLY stating what is required.

I spoke with senior officers at CM Immigration yesterday and again this morning and the bank guarantee letter is required by CM certifying that the 800k has been in the bank for the seasoning period even though I have copies of my passbook for the past year PLUS 12 months of detailed bank statements.

For those of you claiming a bank guarantee letter is not required for the seasoning period, please read bullet point 4 in the Police Order hereunder:

CM has ALWAYS required this.

Imm bank documents.pdf

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Re 1 year statement. 

It is worth noting that CM immigration will accept a one year statement backed up with a 3 month statement if you cannot get your timing correct or BKK bank don't deliver on time. 

In other words you can order your 1 year statement 1-2 months before application date and collect it after 7 days and then on the date of application obtain a three month statement (issued on the spot ) to cover the gap between the issuing of the one year statement and the date of obtaining the letter and updated book. Both statements cost 100baht each!

PS;  My account is a fixed deposit account.

PPS;  Make sure the bank letter is not only signed but has the little round red bank stamp applied!!  I got refused once because it was missing!

Edited by scottiejohn

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Re 1 year statement. 

It is worth noting that CM immigration will accept a one year statement backed up with a 3 month statement if you cannot get your timing correct or BKK bank don't deliver on time. 

In other words you can order your 1 year statement 1-2 months before application date and collect it after 7 days and then on the date of application obtain a three month statement (issued on the spot ) to cover the gap between the issuing of the one year statement and the date of obtaining the letter and updated book. Both statements cost 100baht each!

I don't need to go through that BS procedure as I print my own 12 month statements the morning I go to the bank for the guarantee letter. Been doing so for the past 10 years. Bank stamps my printouts, no questions asked.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TigerandDog said:

I don't need to go through that BS procedure as I print my own 12 month statements the morning I go to the bank for the guarantee letter. Been doing so for the past 10 years. Bank stamps my printouts, no questions asked.

My Fixed deposit account has no internet access therefor I have to follow the procedure I outlined above!

PS;  I do not know if internet access is available for a fixed deposit a/c with BKK bank but even if it was I do NOT want it.

Edited by scottiejohn

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

My Fixed deposit account has no internet access therefor I have to follow the procedure I outlined above!

you made a general comment, not one specific to your bank account type. That being said, my account is also a fixed term deposit and I'm still able to print my own statements.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Commenting incorrectly again Dr Jack.

Did you read the entire post? I doubt it based on your reply.

You're developing a habit of only partially reading posts and then posting comments that are either wrong or irrelevant.

I don't need you to refer me to things others have outlined or for you to WRONGLY state "I do not understand the bank letter and other requirements".  I've been doing this annually at CM for the past 10 years completely trouble free until my bank started to screw me around due to their lack of knowledge and incompetence. 

IT IS THE BANK. They have changed their policy and REFUSE to issue bank guarantee letters stating that the 800k has been in the account for the seasoning period prior to the application despite being shown a copy of the Police Order, in Thai and English, CLEARLY stating what is required.

I spoke with senior officers at CM Immigration yesterday and again this morning and the bank guarantee letter is required by CM certifying that the 800k has been in the bank for the seasoning period even though I have copies of my passbook for the past year PLUS 12 months of detailed bank statements.

For those of you claiming a bank guarantee letter is not required for the seasoning period, please read bullet point 4 in the Police Order hereunder:

CM has ALWAYS required this.

Imm bank documents.pdf 374.33 kB · 5 downloads

Not sure if that is the police order, seems to be a list handed out by immigration, how old is that paperwork?

Please find attached the up to date immigration requirements for retirement, 2023, from the immigration website.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/เอกสาร-7-6.-NON-O-รายการเอกสารขออยู่ต่อใช้ชีวิตบั้นปลาย-TH-EN.pdf

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I will state it again. You do not understand the requirements. 

The fact you have bubbled through it  looking for "bank guarantee letter" is just one error.

You are referring to "bank letter". That letter simply confirms you are the owner of the account and the balance on date of issue. 

For proof the financial requirements have been met you provide bank statements or photocopies of bank book. 

How on earth did you become a moderator DrJack? Once again you're sprouting absolute garbage and it's you, in this instance, who does NOT understand the requirements for CM.

It is called a bank guarantee letter, NOT a bank letter. Even CM Immigration refer to it as a bank guarantee letter, as did CW when I originally lived in BKK. Go and read the Police Order I attached. It CLEARLY states that the letter must certify (translated for the dummies, that means guarantee) that the 800k has been in the bank for the seasoning period ( 3 months as per the copy of teh Police Order given to me yesterday) prior to the extension application.

For the record CM require all 3.  Copies of bank book, 12 months statements AND bank guarantee letter certifying 800k has been in the account for the prior seasoning period.

You need to cease making incorrect comments with regards to CM's requirements and confusing people with your comments that are only partially correct.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Not sure if that is the police order, seems to be a list handed out by immigration, how old is that paperwork?

Please find attached the up to date immigration requirements for retirement, 2023, from the immigration website.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/เอกสาร-7-6.-NON-O-รายการเอกสารขออยู่ต่อใช้ชีวิตบั้นปลาย-TH-EN.pdf

Same horse different jockey. CM still call it a bank guarantee letter and they REQUIRE that letter to contain the following: Account Name, Account Number, Passport Number, Account balance at date of issue PLUS certify that account has had 800k in it for the seasoning period prior to application.

I know other IO's have different requirements but I'm talking specifically about CM's requirements and what my bank are refusing to issue to meet those CM requirements.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

My link of requirements was from starting at the CM immigration website. You still never answered where you got that slip of paper ( it does not say it is a police order) and how old it is.

Seems strange that there are not others from CM reporting the same problem,

I am out of the conversation, as your posts show that you believe only your view is right, you seem unwilling to listen to anyone else.

Bye and hope you sort it.

Also what he quotes states it is for the documents required for a retirement visa, not extension!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

My link of requirements was from starting at the CM immigration website. You still never answered where you got that slip of paper ( it does not say it is a police order) and how old it is.

Seems strange that there are not others from CM reporting the same problem,

I am out of the conversation, as your posts show that you believe only your view is right, you seem unwilling to listen to anyone else.

Bye and hope you sort it.

I'm not expressing an opinion as to what actually transpired. I'm stating the facts as they have occurred yesterday and today, so there is no relevance whatsoever to whatever anyone else is stating. CM Immigration gave me the required documents list yesterday. As to how old they are I have no idea. That is what they gave me.

Perhaps the reason others in CM are not reporting this issue could be because they are NOT experiencing this with their banks. In other words they have a different bank to me. Oh you obviously couldn't think that logically could you.

Also like everyone else you obviously didn't comprehend my post correctly. I started by asking a question about what I experienced and if anyone else had had the same experience.

So far not a single comment has actually been posted that applies to the opening question. Just a stack of comments that have no relevance to the question at all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

CLEARLY states that the letter must certify (translated for the dummies, that means guarantee) that the 800k has been in the bank for the seasoning period ( 3 months as per the copy of teh Police Order given to me yesterday) prior to the extension application.

At CW they have always* required/accepted just a letter from the banks stating your name, account number and name. I also hand over a 1 years statement as the account is an inactive dedicated account and it has never been handed back. In terms of the law the legal document is the bank book and this is what goes to the senior IO whose signature is on the extension- the letter is just to support the veracity of the bank book - I had a IO look at mine sideways on once to check i hadn't added pages (I assume).

*last 10 years anyway.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1