I have enjoyed my time in Thailand, but...

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I just type and post. it isn't my intentions to be rude or inconsiderate. I just want to get my ideas out and post them. I do understand what you're saying.

Kids learn best age 5 to 10. After that learning slows. This kid you speak of is 7. You got 3 years to move, otherwise best stay in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Kids learn best age 5 to 10. After that learning slows. This kid you speak of is 7. You got 3 years to move, otherwise best stay in Thailand.

The best time to learn English or any language is 5-7. She speaks English well but her school only promotes Thai grammar and little English. I'm teaching her English on paper and she's learning history from me. I work with an English school here with a Thai owner that has been to the US many times, and learned there. His words."If she loves that child, she will let her go with you as soon as possible so she can keep up with other children her age". We have to leave before she is 10. She will be 8 this Fall.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I missed that before.

They won't be more feminine in private because a feminine woman is always feminine. If they ain't in public they ain't in private. Femininity isn't like a dress. They can't put it on in private and take it off in public.

This is from Wikipedia. It mentions a few of the things I consider feminine behavior..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femininity

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

When I said acting like a lady, I meant being one of course, not like an actor in a movie. A lot of women aren't feminine but are gorgeous yes, but it also goes the other way. If a woman is empathetic, emotional, caring, nurturing and compassionate, she is being feminine. I changed my wording.

Thanks for that Fred. That's what I'm talking about. I have met very few women that are empathetic, emotional, caring, nurturing and compassionate.  Hardly any, to be truthful. Perhaps you were more lucky than I, but when you say "a few wives" I guess not. If I found a woman like that that wanted to marry me I'd never let her go.

I thought I found one like that, but it didn't last long, and I was gone. She managed to find another sucker shortly after me that she married, but he lasted less time than I.

Don't think I had no female friends, I had lots but only platonic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

When I see threads like this, I just wonder what the hell people are bitching about.

I am currently in Australia, paying as much for one avocado as I would for a kilo in Chiang Rai. I am creeping past schools and parked police cars at 40 km/hr, because those are the nanny state rules. No 500 baht fines here. Getting on a scooter would be signing my death warrant.

Here for another month, can't wait to get back to Thailand.

You are right. These guys bitching will soon find out other countries arent that good, otherwise they would never have left.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

A few hundred words in a long paragraph are very easy to assimilate

For anyone who is willing to suffer them.

These huge blocks of text come over as rants and opinions hammered out at great pace without any concern for the reader. It’s as if it’s too much thought or effort is needed in pressing  the return key, and sod what people think 😞

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for that Fred. That's what I'm talking about. I have met very few women that are empathetic, emotional, caring, nurturing and compassionate.  Hardly any, to be truthful. Perhaps you were more lucky than I, but when you say "a few wives" I guess not. If I found a woman like that that wanted to marry me I'd never let her go.

I thought I found one like that, but it didn't last long, and I was gone. She managed to find another sucker shortly after me that she married, but he lasted less time than I.

Don't think I had no female friends, I had lots but only platonic.

The three wives I've had were attractive. One was feminine, although she could go off. The first wasn't feminine and I had three kids with her. Turmoil throughout, but I stayed because of the kids. Until the divorce which ended a few problems but brought out more. Another story.

The next was a girlfriend I had a child with, who had depression and was hurting from her childhood. She gave me our daughter and went away. She was okay as a woman but her history had her not being feminine because of fear. Her emotions were kept inside for most of it, unless she was angry.

The third wife was here. A very pretty narcissist that kidnapped our daughter until I divorced her. Strong willed, liar, sneaky, manipulator and not feminine at all. Many others I dated ran the gamut from very feminine to tom boyish to plain mean.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ArnieP said:

For anyone who is willing to suffer them.

These huge blocks of text come over as rants and opinions hammered out at great pace without any concern for the reader. It’s as if it’s too much thought or effort is needed in pressing  the return key, and sod what people think 😞

Again not my intention and I'll separate from now on, seeing it bothers some.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When they make it legal I'll be permanently high, but till then I don't want to be evicted.

Am I angry, you bet I am.

What am I angry about- the government, the failing health system and overpriced GP visits because I can't buy meds over the counter, the housing disaster, and insane rents, incompetent city councils that waste ratepayers money, the tax system, the cretinous public tv service, and that is just the start.

I loved being in Thailand- other than a short 90 day report 3 times a year, I only had to put up with the immigration clown show once a year. I lived in a brilliant hotel for less than the <deleted> I live in now because there are no houses to rent at a price I can afford. I was never cold, and it's a million times more interesting than the rural town I live in. I live 30 minutes from the beach but rarely visit it because petrol is so expensive now.

You should give Samaratins a call

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When they make it legal I'll be permanently high, but till then I don't want to be evicted.

Am I angry, you bet I am.

What am I angry about- the government, the failing health system and overpriced GP visits because I can't buy meds over the counter, the housing disaster, and insane rents, incompetent city councils that waste ratepayers money, the tax system, the cretinous public tv service, and that is just the start.

I loved being in Thailand- other than a short 90 day report 3 times a year, I only had to put up with the immigration clown show once a year. I lived in a brilliant hotel for less than the <deleted> I live in now because there are no houses to rent at a price I can afford. I was never cold, and it's a million times more interesting than the rural town I live in. I live 30 minutes from the beach but rarely visit it because petrol is so expensive now.

You should give Samaratins a call

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This is from Wikipedia. It mentions a few of the things I consider feminine behavior..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femininity

I had a lengthy reply to that which I'm not going to repeat, but in essence I said that most women I have known lacked sweetness, which IMO is the most vital element of femininity. A woman lacking in sweetness, is not feminine, IMO.

My Thai wife had sweetness, and was feminine, but I only found out after we got married that she was also a shrieking harpy from hell.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

There's good and bad everywhere you go, Bob.

But I second you on some of your negative feelings about this country.

All countries have some bad, AND some good. IMO Thailand had more good things than the other countries I lived in ( except for Antarctica- heaven on earth. Unfortunately Antarctica isn't a country and one can't emigrate to it ).

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had a lengthy reply to that which I'm not going to repeat, but in essence I said that most women I have known lacked sweetness, which IMO is the most vital element of femininity. A woman lacking in sweetness, is not feminine, IMO.

My Thai wife had sweetness, and was feminine, but I only found out after we got married that she was also a shrieking harpy from hell.

A lot like I said are actors, until they get what they want. Some are feminine by nature. There are women that are feminine but can go off to protect what is theirs, meaning family. I've known a few women that acted sweet like you say, but were hiding a narcissistic personality that wanted full control, and came at me like a monster when they were angry at others but I just happened to be there. The last one here came at me with a knife three times, for the same reason,or for a minor argument when she was in a bad mood.

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

But not a good place to raise them.

I would disagree here. Why do you think Thailand is not a good place to raise kids? If you have the money for good schooling it is a great place to raise kids. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All countries have some bad, AND some good. IMO Thailand had more good things than the other countries I lived in ( except for Antarctica- heaven on earth. Unfortunately Antarctica isn't a country and one can't emigrate to it ).

Sadly for us.............😏

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

A lot like I said are actors, until they get what they want. Some are feminine by nature. There are women that are feminine but can go off to protect what is theirs, meaning family. I've known a few women that acted sweet like you say, but were hiding a narcissistic personality that wanted full control, and came at me like a monster when they were angry at others but I just happened to be there. The last one here came at me with a knife three times, for the same reason,or for a minor argument when she was in a bad mood.

My wife never actually came at me with a knife, but I wouldn't buy her a gun, which she wanted. I did get her to sleep in a different room and I bolted my door at night.

Not related to the above, I refused to let her drive with me in the car, because she turned in a raving monster behind the wheel. After we got divorced she got a job driving a van, the sort that were always being driven too fast- the perfect job for someone that drove like her!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marin said:

I would disagree here. Why do you think Thailand is not a good place to raise kids? If you have the money for good schooling it is a great place to raise kids. 

I agree.  Very happy to be raising my son here rather than in the UK!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

if I had my time again I don't think I would have chosen here.

Sorry to hear you're leaving mate .... we all had our time here, so to speak, as naive fresh off the boat farangs - would have been epic to meet you up for a pint :burp:

If ya change ur mind, hit me up in BKK, I'll buy, good luck :partytime2:

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, marin said:

Racism

Dangerous roads

Polluted

Corruption

Education is inward looking

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

if I had my time again I don't think I would have chosen here.

There are many better places to live and make money,

places where you arent treated with suspicion and/or a potential criminal because you are a foreigner.

There are easier places to get PR or become a citizen,

Thailand makes this extraordinarily difficult for the average farang, and they know it!

it's like them dangling a sweet carrot in front of our noses and they enjoy watching us suffer..

this whole 90 day reporting I find completely ridiculous,

it's like they want to exert an almost sadistic control over us to make sure we are behaving as they want us to.

It's very authoritarian when you actually look at it from an objective standpoint.

when you are in it you kinda get used to it, but from an outsider looking in it does seem rather onerous.

but on the whole I go with the old 70/30 rule.

it was 70% good and 30% bad.

sadly the 30% was quite pronounced and Thailand has given me scars that may never heal.

I only hope that I don't take that resentment with me to my next destination.

and if there is a Thai sitting next to me on the plane, well, he/she is going to have a very memorable journey!

bob.

It sounds like anyone next to you on the plane is going to have a very memorable miserable journey.    😜               

• Thanks 1

Just now, nauseus said:

It sounds like anyone next to you on the plane is going to have a very memorable miserable journey.    😜               

...only if they are Thai.

bob.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Racism

Dangerous roads

Polluted

Corruption

Education is inward looking

There is racism anywhere in the world. Dangerous roads, you make me laugh. Pollution the same as anywhere if you dont live in the north this time of year. How did corruption affect you Birdman?  I guess you did not read the part about being able to pay for a good education.

Warm weather year round

Great and cheap domestic travel

Great food of all nationalities

Having a gray area when it comes to rules, its not all black and white

Really excellent international schools that deliver

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marin said:

There is racism anywhere in the world. Dangerous roads, you make me laugh. Pollution the same as anywhere if you dont live in the north this time of year. How did corruption affect you Birdman?  I guess you did not read the part about being able to pay for a good education.

Warm weather year round

Great and cheap domestic travel

Great food of all nationalities

Having a gray area when it comes to rules, its not all black and white

Really excellent international schools that deliver

Perhaps one day marin, you will finally see the wood for the trees!

bob.