Thailand house of representatives approves same-sex marriage bill

webfact

18 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I would have thought that Thailand would have been seen as a pretty welcoming and tolerant destination for LGBTQ+ for a long time already?

Typical hypocrisy in this country, as with prostitution: Let's have lots of it but let's pretend it's not there, and certainly not officially recognized (Buddha forbid!).

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

What the formally-recognized marriage now in prospect will do is give ME protection here in Thailand in the event that my b/f predeceases me. He owns all the assets here - house, land, car. (I just own the money-flow.)

What protection would it give you over & above what a Will would give you or are you assuming that you will not have to sell the house/Land within 1 year because it's a Same Sex marriage? 

Genuine question as I've never seen the point in getting married (unless there are kids involved) & am yet to hear an argument to convince me otherwise (A Marriage certificate doesn't prove you love somebody or guarantee you won't leave them & there are other/better ways to protect them when it comes to leaving them your assets).

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented from an immigration point of view and whether the unions will be treated the same as Thai Male-2-Foreign Female or Thai Female-2-Foreign Male, hopefully which ever way it goes it will lead to a debate on having more equality in Thai/Foreigner Hetro marriages...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Dunno, but while I perceive a two females in a relationships as enticing and delicately scented, the sodomy, pillar of male Gay love, makes me feel sick. 

Now now , Easy Boy, I remember  what my Mam said when I was still in the Netherlands . How can you be sure If you don't Try it. 

But I Suppose for many people it's the Thought what counts/Put one off.

Some others might say If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

What protection would it give you over & above what a Will would give you or are you assuming that you will not have to sell the house/Land within 1 year because it's a Same Sex marriage? 

I/we don't expect it's the sole answer to - as it were - a maiden's prayer, but it certainly ought to strengthen one's standing when the marriage ends through death of the Thai partner.

But the devil will be as always in the detail. The current mixed status of Thai/Falang & Falang/Thai partnerships doesn't augur well, but the current government is certainly making the right noises about equality generally ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is wonderful news, love should be recognized no matter what form it takes

So you are advocating "love" when peadophiles are involved and bestiality involving animals?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

No mention in the OP that foreigners will be included in this.    Foreign women marrying Thai men enjoy certain advantages that  foreign men marrying Thai women do not....

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-based-on-marriage-to-a-thai-husband/

This will be open to abuse.   Ie pretend to be gay ,  register a sham marriage, gain citizenship      

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So you are advocating "love" when peadophiles are involved and bestiality involving animals?

Have you any idea how many bestiality moment are here in Thailand done by the local youth? I know in my neighbourhood several cases with dogs and cows.. and they are heterosexuals.. Please don't mix all non hterosexuals with perverts

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Just because he doesn't agree with it doesn't make him a homophobe/bigot. I disagree with him, but he has a right to his opinion. 

Watch his language - which I multi-quoted in my post- the terms he used are not "Just because he doesn't agree."  "He has a right to his opinion," sure but he couched his biases/prejudices in flowery/arcane terms to fool you.

If you don't see them or don't want to see them, then of course you have the right to your opinion. Doesn't make him any less a bigot though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, watthong said:

I used to take a stance of ignoring the bigots, and trying to hold on to the topic at hand which concerns the wellbeing of the LGBTQ plus community. But that doesn't stop them bigots from hijacking said thread by inflaming it with their vitriols. So let's call a spade a spade. (To steal a line from my "sister" Jingthing:) You are a hardcore homophobic bigot ! So try to find your place in an enlightening society if you can. FYI, bigotry will not get you neither here nor there.

It's you who at the first place brought up the idea of sodomy/buggery - which involves a man/woman butthole, so again let's call a spade a spade. What's a vagina and a butthole have in common? They both discharge body waste. Therefore what makes sodomy more "sickening" than vagina-penetrating intercourse? Bigotry, that is. Just an aside, in my inexperienced teens I was lured into intercourse with a female classmate. Turned out she was having her period. I was turned off because of her female genitalia - which I finally had the chance to observe up close, and nah, not to my liking - but not because of the sight of her bloody tampon, which I considered a necessity to her natural bodily function.

Its posts like this that do more harm than good the the LBGTQ community. Stoking up anti LBGTQ feeling by telling people who have a different opinion that there opnion is wrong and is bigoted. Telling people what they can/can't do is only going to fuel animosity. Why shove this down peoples throats? Be gay if your gay and just be happy..........but don't think you can tell me how to live my life just cause because I'm straight. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Its posts like this that do more harm than good the the LBGTQ community. Stoking up anti LBGTQ feeling by telling people who have a different opinion that there opnion is wrong and is bigoted. Telling people what they can/can't do is only going to fuel animosity. Why shove this down peoples throats? Be gay if your gay and just be happy..........but don't think you can tell me how to live my life just cause because I'm straight. 

I often wonder why people have the need  to tell others of their preferences  in life, I dont run around screaming  about it for sure.

• Confused 3

I often wonder why people have the need  to tell others of their preferences  in life, I dont run around screaming  about it for sure.

it falls under the banner of.

Look at me, Look at me.

You will look at me,  now. 

Edited by quake

Just now, quake said:

it it falls under the banner of.

Look at me, Look at me.

You will look at me now. :giggle:

theyre mainly narcissists, like almost everyone with a mobile  phone these  days.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, watthong said:

Watch his language - which I multi-quoted in my post- the terms he used are not "Just because he doesn't agree."  "He has a right to his opinion," sure but he couched his biases/prejudices in flowery/arcane terms to fool you.

If you don't see them or don't want to see them, then of course you have the right to your opinion. Doesn't make him any less a bigot though.

Only in your eyes, not in mine or many others I imagine.

• Agree 1