What to do with old school books?

My son has just completed year 3 (Primary) at an English Program school and has a huge pile of course books and work books, both English and Thai.  Most have been written in, although some appear to be virtually unused.  He'll be getting new books when the new academic year starts in May.  I still have his books from P2 as well!

What do most parents do with them?  Just dump the whole lot in the bin?  Can they be recycled in any way?  Keep them for posterity?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about donating them to the school for future pupils? 

I had thought of that, but most of them have been written in and look well-used.  Do most schools take back used books?  

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I had thought of that, but most of them have been written in and look well-used.  Do most schools take back used books?  

Handwritten remarks can be very helpful, see Harry Potter.

6cc60935428c88907b036431f1d259eb.jpg

Ok, seriously, I don't know about the schools.

But I know that some parents struggle with buying things for school. I am sure some parents will be happy to get books for free - even if they are not brand new. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But I know that some parents struggle with buying things for school. I am sure some parents will be happy to get books for free - even if they are not brand new. 

Love the Harry Potter book!  Wish my son wrote like that.  I'll see if the school accepts donated books.  

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Keep them. Get your kid to read them.

In Thai schools, subject matter learned in one grade is never revisited. Once they have tested at year end, that's it. Forget and move on.

Keeping old books will ensure your kid will not fall into the trap of learn, test, forget. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

There was this place in the North where I mailed old school books, uniforms, toys, etc. because they needed it. Don't know if they still accept it. You could call & find out 038-7472263 & 064-7640263. Do let us know if they still need them.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd assume the solution is somewhat obvious and donate them to a temple school.... 

That said, what language are the text books in ????

Thai and English.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:39 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

My son has just completed year 3 (Primary) at an English Program school and has a huge pile of course books and work books, both English and Thai.  Most have been written in, although some appear to be virtually unused.  He'll be getting new books when the new academic year starts in May.  I still have his books from P2 as well!

What do most parents do with them?  Just dump the whole lot in the bin?  Can they be recycled in any way?  Keep them for posterity?

Donate them to rural schools.  I am sure that you can find a Thai teacher to help you do this.  That is what I did with all of my son's books.  He graduated from high school in February and we donated the books that were useable (That had not been written in).

On 4/1/2024 at 3:39 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Paper-recycling, none were interested.

I find it ironic that when at school in the UK all our books were supplied free, by the school and collected up and reissued to the next year, while in Thailand you pay and throw away.....

Oldest book i was issued was an atlas in the 1960's which was printed 30 years earlier - many countries had changed their names and borders since it was printed!

13 hours ago, rickudon said:

I find it ironic that when at school in the UK all our books were supplied free, by the school and collected up and reissued to the next year, while in Thailand you pay and throw away.....

Oldest book i was issued was an atlas in the 1960's which was printed 30 years earlier - many countries had changed their names and borders since it was printed.

That's because in Thailand most of the books double up as exercise books.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:39 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

My housekeeper kept all my son's old schoolbooks with the "poor people can use them"

When moving house there were about 5 grades of old school books and worksheets, bagged them up and threw them out.

I'm in same position with kid in English Program school. We keep the ones which may be fun to see in the future and the majority are thrown out. 

These are all paperback books. Donating is a silly idea. Old school uniforms on the other hand can be donated.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Also, I used to make a lot of inscriptions in a chemistry book, then I graduated and decided to get rid of these books, but in vain. I needed to solve some tasks and I was forced to use chemistry assignment help this is a great resource with real professionals who did everything quickly and efficiently, but I would like to do it myself. That is why it is sometimes important to keep books to yourself and not give them to anyone.

During my school years, we lived poorly, so I completely agree with you.

Edited by Minnierogers