Two British Nationals Arrested for Illegally Working at Nightclub in Krabi

webfact

2 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

MC stands for Master of Ceremonies

I knew that, sir

However your story has one small flaw - Thai lawyer. those ba**ards, they ruined gazillion of farang lives. I met with them near KSR at so-called "Council". However being thrown to IDC for unloading truck <<<<< there's something missing, I think.

Yes, I heard similar stories too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

What about open decks? All over BKK are open deck format where Forieners come and play. Is that considered working? 

yes they are strictly required to have WPs even f they aren't being paid.

open mic and musician jams are the same. You will notice in places like BKK and Pattaya that immigration police wil occasionally check up on these gigs especially if someone is being "too regular" at a venue

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

I knew that, sir

However your story has one small flaw - Thai lawyer. those ba**ards, they ruined gazillion of farang lives. I met with them near KSR at so-called "Council". However being thrown to IDC for unloading truck <<<<< there's something missing, I think.

Yes, I heard similar stories too. 

Nothing missing at all, he was French, had a big mouth (spoke fluent Thai) and refused to back down, so the Bib refused to lose face and done their worst.  The woman concerned is actually my sister-in-law.  

1 minute ago, Trip Hop said:

Nothing missing at all, he was French, had a big mouth (spoke fluent Thai) and refused to back down, so the Bib refused to lose face and done their worst. 

Ok, that's quite an amusing perception of how police works. While that is your story I see no reason to argue. 

Why remain in such a country with so much racism agains foreigners or farangs ? Other countries in Asia are far more welcoming, cheaper cost of living and less harassment from immigration.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Just like the stupid Swiss, the stupid frenchman, the stupid russians, the stupid Europeans, the stupid Australians and of course, the stupid Brits!

Jeez, there's no end of this stupidity is there?

Why "frenchmen" and "russians" are non-capitalised, while others are? Even Brits? 

not important enough? 
[^^^ sarcasm^^^]

Edited by NativeBob
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Is there a 'clampdown' under way ?

Not just a clampdown but it's clearly "open season" on targeting foreigners working here. If it isn't Russian tour guides, British DJs, Yoga/Pilates (or whatever that <deleted> is) teachers, kindergarten workers etc. etc. then anyone doing anything without a work permit or something that is reserved for Thai citizens only would be well advised to quit immediately for fear of arrest, fine, conviction and deportation. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Just like the stupid Swiss, the stupid frenchman, the stupid russians, the stupid Europeans, the stupid Australians and of course, the stupid Brits!

Jeez, there's no end of this stupidity is there?

Where are you from pal? Somewhere just as stupid?

555 you forgot the Yanks and Canuks and Kiwis! Which one are you? 🙂 

There are far too many stupids but then that is global (and local), whether in our home countries or those who are lucky enough to be able to venture overseas. It is the global world these days. The media, both social and mainstream, make these stories easily available nowadays where, in the past, they would not have gotten a mention. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I know from personal experience that responsible regular music venues will sort out permits for long and short term performers.  It's not so dificult its just that sp mamu businesses and performers think they can get away without bothering - and a lot of them do.

There used to be a sign (maybe still is but didn't see it last month) warning performing artists in the queue ticket area of immigration at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok, that a work permit was needed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Krabi – A British man and a British woman were arrested at a night club in Ao Nang, Krabi on Tuesday (April 2nd) after they were found working illegally.

Krabi Immigration told the Phuket Express that they inspected a night club in the Ao Nang sub-district in Krabi City. They found two foreigners were working at the night club.

1.Miss KAREN, 37, British national, was working as an MC.

Mr. Gareth, 45, British national was working as a DJ.

Both of them were unable to present legal work permits.

By Goongnang Suksawat

PHOTO: Naewna

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-04-03

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

Sure they know it's illegal in any countries...just jail them.. than life Ban fro coming here.. These are cheap system abusive scum.... Just Low people on the planet... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Once living long stay in Thailand foreigners here are get more aware on how they get cheated, no doubt on that.... and it happens in every non fully developped country.

But one also gets aware that in Thailand one needs to avoid even more the falangs here as there are many many dodgy foreigners all fleeing their issues back in the west, who have set up base in Thailand. Not all obviously, but many and mainly those running businesses.

9 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Possibly because Farang DJs know how to mix the music to Farang tastes? 

Just a guess

Definitely, unless you like to dance to Carabao.

2 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

This is Thailand, the police can and will do basically what they want.  A know of a Thai who used to run a small garden centre.  She came back from the wholesalers one day and her farang boyfriend of several years at the time proceeded to help her unload a few things from the pick-up.  A plain clothes officer took a photo and demanded 30000B hush money for him allegedly working even though money was obviously never going to change hands.  He refused and got locked up in IDC before being deported at his cost and blacklisted for 5 years.  This despite the best efforts of a lawyer.  Admittedly he didn't help himself with his big mouth but testimony not to assume that the law has to be followed in the same way  as it would be in farang land.

MC stands for Master of Ceremonies and is basically someone who hypes the crowd, ad-libs to the music and forms part of the overall performance of the DJ.  Their roots in Europe trace back to the rave/hardcore scene but are common in both the Drum & Bass and UK Garage scenes. 

MCs are not needed!  If the DJ is good, you do not need a loud mouth person screaming at you when the song is playing....this generation have no clue about a DJ taking them on a Journey....my God, they are so vapid!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ronster said:

Have to wonder how many Dj's have work permits as they seem to be playing everywhere and it's not as if they can hide as their faces are usually plastered all over the place on advertising signs .

Also what about high profile Dj's that have been booked to play from abroad for 1-2 nights in the country ? Is there a special shirt term visa they get ? 

yes, there are work permits for entertainers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

MCs are not needed!  If the DJ is good, you do not need a loud mouth person screaming at you when the song is playing....this generation have no clue about a DJ taking them on a Journey....my God, they are so vapid!

I totally agree with you and never seen the attraction myself.  It's hardly just this generation though as MCs have had their part in some European music scenes since the late 80s? 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Well that would be a matter for the Thai authorities, Its hardly something for the elderly ex pats to get themselves all worked up about, 

Just your opinion, nothing more.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just your opinion, nothing more.

I'd say it was an irrefutable fact, 

Is it not a matter for the Thai authorities?

Is there a reason( that I'm unaware of ) why  elderly expats are getting so worked up over this, ?       

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, khunpin said:

Good, that they got caught! I can only hope that they will get banned from entering Thailand again! 

Why would you hope that  ?

4 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Or maybe make more sensible rules?

Tbh the rules about working in Thailand are medioeval

For you they might be, but they are the rules and laws in the country the people in question have chosen to reside in. Medieval or not, if they break them, they will have to pay for it one way or another. That is also something the ones who break the rules are very aware about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Why deport? If Thais do something illegal in their country, they get fined and sometimes thrown in prison. Why should foreigners be any different?

Because they have citizenship and you have not. They are allowed to work just based on the citizenship, but you are not. But sure, if you like prison better then deportation, that has to stand for you. 

• Thanks 1