7,000 tonnes of “missing” cadmium waste found in Chon Buri warehouse

webfact

image.jpeg

Officials have found about 7,000 tonnes of carcinogenic cadmium waste at a warehouse in Ban Bueng district of Chon Buri, which are believed to have been illegally transferred from a warehouse in Samut Sakhon, where over 10,000 tonnes were reported to have gone missing.

Jullapong Thaveesri, director-general of Industrial Works Department, said yesterday that the department had received a tipoff that many large bags, containing cadmium slag, bearing markings similar to the bags found in Samut Sakhon, were stored at a warehouse in Khlong Kiew sub-district in Ban Bueng district of Chon Buri.

Officials from the Industrial Works Department and police from the Natural Resources and Environment Crime Division were dispatched to the warehouse yesterday. They estimate that there were more than 7,000 tonnes of cadmium waste and the warehouse was ordered closed.

Jullapong said that there are about 20 warehouses in the same compound and only four of them have operating licenses.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Jullapong said that there are about 20 warehouses in the same compound and only four of them have operating licenses

Thainess.....

9 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Isn’t it time for Thailand to stop accepting waste from other countries ?

I suppose.... although this is reported to have come from Tak......

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

10,000 missing!

Found 7000!

Ehr where is the 3000 tons?

lets not quibble over incidentals

• Haha 2

Rough calculation on the missing waste. It is enough to render over one TRILLION liters (1,000,000,000,000) of water undrinkable, i.e., above the safe Cadmium drinking level (0.005mg/L).

That's 8 full Mabrachan Reservoirs of water!

22 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Rough calculation on the missing waste. It is enough to render over one TRILLION liters (1,000,000,000,000) of water undrinkable, i.e., above the safe Cadmium drinking level (0.005mg/L).

That's 8 full Mabrachan Reservoirs of water!

It's not Cadmium its tailings/slag.  So I think rather less than your calculation.  Nevertheless you wouldn't want it in your tea,