Smoking in public

Today on the boat whe where standing outside 2. Floor on the ferry  outside the vip room and one foreigner passed us and sit down up front, and start smoking a joint. The smoke reach us who sitting downwind with small kids and one other thai familie with kids as well.  I decide to ask him politely to not smoke in public at the boat, and he trow the joint immediately in to the sea, excused himself, and walked away.

Im just wondering what foreign tourist think they are allowed to do when arriving Thailand? 

He was obviously a tourist in his late 30'ies my best guess, 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@bamnutsak Maybe I read different than you, but he clearly spoke to the offender.  You're much too sensitive...

The OP asked the offender "to politely not smoke in public".

Strangely he did not ask the offender his primary question...

On 4/8/2024 at 4:00 PM, Hummin said:

Im just wondering what foreign tourist think they are allowed to do when arriving Thailand? 

The OP was in the best position to ask the "foreign tourist" why they think they're allowed to smoke in public.

Asking here seems, well, weird.

Am I wrong in wondering why the OP posed a question?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

not wrong at all , I reckon it was purely a rhetorical question the purpose of which was purely to express righteous indignation at the behaviour of others.   Not unexpected really considering  the current media frenzy /crackdown on foreigners.Its quite contagious,  There are a few on here who mistakenly  believe that criticising foreigners sets them above all others and elevates their status with the Thais, so its basically a mixture of virtue signalling, whilst at the same time appeasing the ever present lynch mob.  I'm just surprised there was no call for blacklisting or deportation

His fictional concern for the other Thai family was truly heart rending and more than a little nauseating

I'm starting to think it was a totally imaginary scenario

I can promise you it was not an imaginary scenario, and Im truly concerned about our impact on our self when traveling, not only in Thailand,.but in general. Been travelling the world with friends and alike doing extreme sports, and have seen my share of stupidity, and I cant say I havent done one or two stupid things myself my way before I became a bit more mature.

If he just didnt pass us up front on that tiny passage on the side of the boat, and it was only me and him, I wouldnt cared at all. 

So why not ask here in the weed forum what you guys think?

I useally tell people when I think they are out of their line in a polite way, and never experienced one bad feedback so far. 

And I have no previous histoy of making up imagery scenes or scenarios here or anywhere else

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Smoking in general ? or smoking weed on a boat in public ?....   in either case some people are just ignorant ayholes and don't care where their smoke blows - they are either dumb and ignorantly inconsiderate, or deliberately careless.

I've had a couple of issues in the past with ignorant cigarette smokers being completely careless....  Weed smokers seem to be a little more considerate but the smell goes a long distance. 

In this case it seems and idiot was just being a careless idiot... throwing the joint into the water highlights the degree of ignorance there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In this case it seems and idiot was just being a careless idiot... throwing the joint into the water highlights the degree of ignorance there.

I belive he was taken by surprise, and why he tossed it away immediately.

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I belive he was taken by surprise, and why he tossed it away immediately.

I that case... it was just a kid smoking a bit of dope and when you complained you had the desired result - no smoke blowing in the direction of your family...  

I think he reacted better than many would... it could have ended up confrontational. 

I don't think this is specifically a foreigner thing.. as in "why do foreigners come here and believe they can behave this way ?"  I think its just the way quite a lot of people are these days. 

------

I had to giggle in France a few months back.... In a queue for a ski lift with my Son and get a strong wiff of weed blowing towards us....

I turn round see a boarder with dreadlocks... I look down at his hands, see the joint and he just grins at me.... I couldn't help but grin back... he's just enjoying himself....   1 min later we're too far away so its no big deal at all....

.... Its very different in an area where its more difficult to escape - restaurant / boat etc... 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Today on the boat whe where standing outside 2. Floor on the ferry  outside the vip room and one foreigner passed us and sit down up front, and start smoking a joint. The smoke reach us who sitting downwind with small kids and one other thai familie with kids as well.  I decide to ask him politely to not smoke in public at the boat, and he trow the joint immediately in to the sea, excused himself, and walked away.

He was obviously a tourist in his late 30'ies my best guess, 

You have answered your own question.

Most young and old tourists who travel to other countries leave their brains on the plane.  They seem to think me farang and I am in a different country, so the same rules that I have in my country no longer apply.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

So why not ask here in the weed forum what you guys think?

I think they tell everyone it's legal, but tourists have no legal place to smoke, so what do you expect them to do?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I think they tell everyone it's legal, but tourists have no legal place to smoke, so what do you expect them to do?

Go upwind in front of kids with parents and smoke a joint is an good idea 💡 

Edited by Hummin

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The OP was in the best position to ask the "foreign tourist" why they think they're allowed to smoke in public.

Interrogating him after he'd politely complied and stopped smoking the joint would hardly be a rational way to go particularly as smoking is generally permitted outside in public places, with a few exceptions.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

just wondering what foreign tourist think they are allowed to do

He was obviously thinking about your health.

By not exposing you to 2nd hand tobacco smoke. 

Which causes cancer* 😆

*No lung cancer from weed,ever

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

No lung cancer from weed,ever

I have little doubt that if you consumed the equivalent of half pack of cigarettes a day you'd be susceptible to lung cancer.

Thousands of people die each year of lung cancer play from breathing pollution.

Potheads....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BusNo8 said:

Bet you didn't

Why would you say that ? I have seen plenty of monks smoke, it don't think its forbidden, Many of them also chew Betel nuts ,  Some have amassed personal fortunes, hardly in line with the teachings of the Buddha

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 6:31 PM, bob smith said:

I saw a monk having a crafty fag at the bus stop today.

bob.

Why crafty? Theres nothing says a monk cant have  a fag.... unless its the American version of fag that is. 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:54 AM, BusNo8 said:

I have little doubt that if you consumed the equivalent of half pack of cigarettes a day you'd be susceptible to lung cancer.

Potheads....

Delete.

it's windy on a moving boat more than on the beach so probably that dude thought it won't bother the other passengers.

As a fellow potsmoker and foreigner, I apologize it bothered you, we usually just wanna have good times. 

I always rent a hotel or Airbnb with balcony, that's where I smoke cannabis or at some dispensaries if they provide the facility.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:31 AM, bob smith said:

I saw a monk having a crafty fag at the bus stop today.

bob.

Bus Stop. Oh Bob how low have you fallen. Maybe you mean you saw the monk from your Benz.

• Haha 1