8 Lao women arrested in Thailand for prostitution

image.jpeg

The sex trade is technically illegal in Thailand, but laws against it are rarely enforced

Authorities in Thailand have arrested eight Lao women, seven of whom entered the country illegally to work as prostitutes, and one who worked as their madam, Radio Free Asia has learned.

According to the Anti-Trafficking in Person Unit of the Thai Department of Special Investigation, the seven women were aged 21 to 36, and they were arrested at a karaoke bar in Bang Pakong district in the southern province of  Chachoengsao. The eighth woman is the wife of the bar’s owner. 

A police officer in Bang Pakong district confirmed Monday that the seven women, who were arrested on April 4, are still in custody and are awaiting trial and will be deported to Laos later.

The sex trade is technically illegal in Thailand, but laws against it are rarely enforced. Authorities do, however, more strictly enforce immigration laws.

“Usually, people from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are allowed to work in Thailand in only certain types of work like construction, but not in entertainment venues or karaoke bars,” Col. Pattanapong Sripinproh of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Unit told RFA Lao. 

“They are not allowed to work as bar girls or drink girls,” he said. “If they do, they’ll be arrested.”

image.jpeg

Thailand's Central Investigation Bureau raid a karaoke shop April 4, 2024 in Bang Pakong district, Thailand. (Manager Online)

By RFA Lao

TOP: Thailand's Central Investigation Bureau raid a karaoke shop April 4, 2024 in Bang Pakong district, Thailand. Manager Online

Full story: Radio Free Asia - RFA 2024-04-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The sex trade is technically illegal in Thailand, but laws against it are rarely enforced.

What's the point, for Thais it is a 1k fine and up to one month in prison, I have never heard of one prostitute going to jail.  1k can be made in 30 min.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The sex trade is technically illegal in Thailand, but laws against it are rarely enforced. Authorities do, however, more strictly enforce immigration laws.

Competition will not be tolerated, especially during hard times.

• Thumbs Up 1

You would wonder why Thailand has prostitution laws because they are only enforced against foreigners, typical Thai justice. We can break our own laws but you cannot!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Oldest profession in the world.

An appeal to antiquity/tradition is a common logical fallacy - you seem to be justifying  the oppression of women.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Underlines the fact that the sex still relies on exploiting women in poverty.

if your father is a rice farmer......what's your choice between none and nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

An appeal to antiquity/tradition is a common logical fallacy - you seem to be justifying  the oppression of women.

Are you actually in Thailand......?  🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RT555 said:

if your father is a rice farmer......what's your choice between none and nothing.

That's actually a ridiculous statement

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

Prostitution is not exclusive to oppression and not to the degree you may believe.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Prostitution is not exclusive to oppression and not to the degree you may believe.

You just keep on trying to justify it - in the face of logic and reason.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Those who do it willingly are hardly "oppressed"   There's one in the village here with 3 houses and two pickups  Would you like her phone number so you can "save " her.  She would probably have something to say to you if you tried, and I'm guessing the second word would be "off"

this is a statement of your own ignorance rather than an intelligent examination of the root reasons for prostitution..

my ex summed it up perfectly when she said

"I feel sorry for them"

"What, those girls?" I asked

"No" she said, "the men".

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You just keep on trying to justify it - in the face of logic and reason.

I have expressed a single opinion and have not, do not , will not justify oppression in any form.

Can I suggest you examine your grounds of logic and reason ?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

this is a statement of your own ignorance rather than an intelligent examination of the root reasons for prostitution..

"I feel sorry for them"

It is a statement of fact,  The root reason for prostitution is simple , supply and demand.  As long as nobody is forced into it against their will its nobody's concern what arrangements  consenting adults arrive at.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Those who do it willingly are hardly "oppressed"   There's one in the village here with 3 houses and two pickups  Would you like her phone number so you can "save " her.  She would probably have something to say to you if you tried, and I'm guessing the second word would be "off"

I doubt there is one…I bet your wife and her family watch you like a hawk

49 minutes ago, kwilco said:

"I feel sorry for them"

I doubt anybody using the services of prostitutes gives a flying <deleted> about your ex 's sympathy

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

It is a statement of fact,  The root reason for prostitution is simple , supply and demand.  As long as nobody is forced into it against their will its nobody's concern what arrangements  consenting adults arrive at.  

Statistically the majority of prostitution are run and organized by women . That the demand obviously is for men explains the supply. Trafficking  in the insidious underbelly of the business is an unfortunate reality also. Separating choice  from slavery  is what creates the dilemma that creates the polarized opinion.