The baffling 27 years of Richard Burrows, aka. ‘Peter Smith’

snoop1130

He knew exactly what he was doing getting on the airplane to go home after 27 plus years.

After following Thaksin journey home he thought he follow the same script?:cheesy:

Edited by thailand49

42 minutes ago, suspectdevice said:

No, it is not a country either. It is 4 separate countries.

It only has one army, navy and Air force, one UK parliament (despite devolution), one monarchy, one currency, it is one sovereign and autonomous state.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

With a extension he would not have had to leave. Just renew every year without leaving. I am still doing that except I have to report every 90 days now.

Stevenl--you have not been here that long ?...... there were no extensions-- you had to leave the country--to apply at a Thai embassy in a foreign land to come back into the country on another 1 year visa--& on that Visa there was no staying in the country after  90 days , unless you were on a working permit (or something like that) , on a 1 year Visa you still  had to leave every 90 days then re-enter Thailand. Thai women married to a farrang were not allowed to even buy a house or land.

Things are a lot easier now then the  before. --I am thinking that the  guy probably had a work Visa --Teacher or something, or maybe connected to someone ---I just wonder what made them suddenly realize who he really was.

Their not saying What it was.

Edited by oxo1947

55 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Neither of us are English! although we will admit to being British or "from the UK" if forced to say it!

PS; We do not want to be united!  🥊

Strange that you voted for it then.

Are you allied to those who chant and sing about Ulster being British then go and vote for the SNP.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Stevenl--you have not been here that long ?...... there were no extensions-- you had to leave the country--to apply at a Thai embassy in a foreign land to come back into the country on another 1 year visa--& on that Visa there was no staying in the country after  90 days , unless you were on a working permit (or something like that) , on a 1 year Visa you still  had to leave every 90 days then re-enter Thailand. Thai women married to a farrang were not allowed to even buy a house or land.

Things are a lot easier now then the  before. --I am thinking that the  guy probably had a work Visa --Teacher or something, or maybe connected to someone ---I just wonder what made them suddenly realize who he really was.

Sorry but you are incorrect in the 90 stay part. (but correct in the property bit)

I arrived to live here in the late 1980 s on a 90 day non -o marriage and have had one year extensions of stay ever since. They were initially based on marriage and later retirement.

I have never held a work permit here.

Knowing that, due to age, my memory is crap I even checked with a passport of that age to verify.

To add... Only had to show 200,000 Baht in the bank for marriage then.

Edited by terryq

12 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Strange that you voted for it then.

Are you allied to those who chant and sing about Ulster being British then go and vote for the SNP.

Since you do not know me from Adam your two sentences(!) when put together make no sense to me!

Is this your most pointless and incomprehensible post you have ever made on this forum or do you, unfortunately, have an even more excruciating example?

PS; If you have such an example please do not quote it!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added.

13 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Voted for what and whatever the vote was how would you know whether I voted and if I did vote which way I voted!

What a stupid post!

You are the one who said "we", so not a stupid post on my part.

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Since you do not know me from Adam your two sentences(!) when put together make no sense to me!

Is this your most pointless and incomprehensible post you have ever made on this forum or do you, unfortunately, have an even more excruciating example?

PS; If you have such an example please do not quote it!

You know exactly what I mean, unless Scottie refers to a dog and not the place past Carlisle where I have many friends who are proud to be British and Scottish.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, terryq said:

Sorry but you are incorrect in the 90 stay part. (but correct in the property bit)

I arrived to live here in the late 1980 s on a 90 day non -o marriage and have had one year extensions of stay ever since. They were initially based on marriage and later retirement.

I have never held a work permit here.

Knowing that, due to age, my memory is crap I even checked with a passport of that age to verify.

Yes I did put  "unless you were on a working permit (or something like that) " I was single--you might be right about Marriage , but it would surprise.  terryq, surely you remember all the bars in Pattaya  putting on (or Buying) Vans , to take everyone down to

Aranyaprathet you walked across the border done a U turn walked back--you had then had done the 90 day , From BKK it was Busses down to Aranyapprathet-- its what made that town the size it is today--- I came permanently to Thailand in 95 and 100% that was the Immigration  law then until I think about 2002--maybe 3. 

Other guys that were here in those days ---Please chip in

Edited by oxo1947

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You really think that the father of a boy Burrows was abusing would do that?

i would sincerely hope not..but stranger things have happened. I must say i have no knowledge of Burrows' charges or Peter Smith..have you?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Been here 25 years, thanks.

First year with work permit was leave every 90 days, after that not any more.

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

you had to leave the country--to apply at a Thai embassy in a foreign land to come back into the country on another 1 year visa--& on that Visa there was no staying in the country after  90 days

I think you mean that whatever visa/permission of stay you had at that time applied to your circumstances and not everyone else's!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Welsh people are British. As are Scottish people. 🤦‍♂️

The Welsh and Scots I know often beg to differ. 

Regarding the OP topic. I would really be curious to know why he returned to the UK and what "intelligence", if any, the UK authorities had on Burrows. Hopefully this wqill be reported in the UK press at some point.

Edited by soi3eddie

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Neither of us are English! although we will admit to being British or "from the UK" if forced to say it!

PS; We do not want to be united!  🥊

I think this is from you.

• Confused 1

You said  that "we" which includes you, do not want to be united but there was a referendum in which the majority voted to remain in the United Kingdom.

So the "we" that you speak of has a majority that wish to remain United.

You do not remember the above post so possibly you have a short term memory problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

When he left the UK he was 53. It is highly unlikely that that he would have amassed any meaningful pension pots at that age.

I left UK at 48 with enough contributions to be able to obtain my full State Pension, wasn't my fault they changed the scheme criteria on me

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

When he left the UK he was 53. It is highly unlikely that that he would have amassed any meaningful pension pots at that age.

34 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I left UK at 48 with enough contributions to be able to obtain my full State Pension, wasn't my fault they changed the scheme criteria on me

I wasn't talking about the state pension, note that I said 'pension pots' (plural) You comment is meaningless anyway in the context of Burrows. You didn't quote my full post which said:

When he left the UK he was 53. It is highly unlikely that that he would have amassed any meaningful pension pots at that age. And how on Earth would he lay claim to them anyway, living as he was, a fugitive from justice living under an assumed name?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I would really be curious to know why he returned to the UK and what "intelligence", if any, the UK authorities had on Burrows. Hopefully this will be reported in the UK press at some point.

Me too! Running out of cash and poor health has been mentioned in the original article. I personally doubt U.K. police knew anything. It could be a tip-off from his 'friends' in Thailand? Maybe it seemed strange to them that he never returned to U.K. in 27 years and avoided questions about his home Country? Alternatively, he could have 'fabricated' locations and visits and somebody had seen through it?