BBC’s campaign to bring Thailand’s Songkran to global audiences

snoop1130

In times where video can now be AI generated this animation certainly looks last century. Bit like most government school classrooms. And speaking of AI thank you again TheThaiger Chat GPT for yet another brilliant article.

Edited by dinsdale

51 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Animated for babies because if they screen the real Songkran it would probably put many off.

And it's not even good animation, my eight year old nephew has an iPad app that creates using a similarly style.

No expense spared obviously

The thing is Songkran makes for some amazing fun filled visuals, sure we know the truth, but for marketing purposes, young'ish soapy randy people spraying water, dancing in the street, cut in some random 2 second hottie shots, makes for a good promo video. Tourists don't really care about the origins & ceremony, they're hot, wet, horny and just want to have fun with water guns.

Divert some of that submarine money, hire a pro director and film crew, do it properly. Not this year though, pooch is screwed already.

• Like 1

BBC should wait for next year, it's gonna be soo much better! Promise...

Dr Surapong cited constraints in both budget and time, tempering expectations for this year’s festivities while promising a grander spectacle in the future

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has teamed up with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) 

Oh, goodie, more Brits on their way to Thailand. 

Can we expect more Brits making the headlines now. 

I remember the Brits at Songkran, down soi Buakhao would buy those high pressure water guns that would give you hearing damage or knock an eye out of your head. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Despicable event, I'm staying in as usual for the duration

Surely no worse than the annual ritualistic 31 December / 1 January nonsense, though, from which there, sadly, appears to be no escape anywhere on this great planet of ours. Even if you try and avoid it by staying in as I always do these days, there's still no getting away from the pyromaniac lunatics who take great delight in terrorising their (and your) neighbourhoods by setting off volleys of loud fireworks just after midnight.😡

• Confused 1

"Fronted by a captivating 30-second animated advertisement crafted by BBC Storyworks Commercial Productions in Singapore, the campaign promises to be a visual feast. Running from April 10 to June 15, the ad delves into the profound social and cultural significance of Songkran, featuring a bespoke animated character as the narrative linchpin – an intrepid global traveller sure to resonate with audiences of all ages."

Made by the BBC it will be a disaster. They are a company totally out of touch with people. BBC could well stand for Biggest Bulls**t Company.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, paulikens said:

I knew as least one miserable ex-pat would pipe up and right on cue....

Its the ruination of songkran I object to, how many of these water chucking morons knew yesterday was family day and today old peoples day in songkran? Its all been bastardized on the alter of tourism and these clowns with water guns are the sort of visitors I want nothing to do with. They always claim the love Thai culture, while helping to ruin it.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, proton said:

Its the ruination of songkran I object to, how many of these water chucking morons knew yesterday was family day and today old peoples day in songkran? Its all been bastardized on the alter of tourism and these clowns with water guns are the sort of visitors I want nothing to do with. They always claim the love Thai culture, while helping to ruin it.

Where do you live in Thailand? Because if it's Pattaya then that's how it is there.  Most other places in Thailand aren't like that. One day and it's done.  If you do live in Pattaya go away during that week SIMPLE!!

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Where do you live in Thailand? Because if it's Pattaya then that's how it is there.  Most other places in Thailand aren't like that. One day and it's done.  If you do live in Pattaya go away during that week SIMPLE!!

I'd rather hang myself than live in Pattaya, Bkk and they were still water chucking yesterday making it day 4, the stupidity is almost over.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, proton said:

I'd rather hang myself than live in Pattaya, Bkk and they were still water chucking yesterday making it day 4, the stupidity is almost over.

Ok.   Well the same applies, Go away while it's on.  Most other places don't have it going on for 4 days and i can imagine it would get tiresome after four days already.     

• Confused 1

Just now, paulikens said:

Ok.   Well the same applies, Go away while it's on.  Most other places don't have it going on for 4 days and i can imagine it would get tiresome after four days already.     

P.S. No need to be such a snob about Pattaya either.   

• Confused 1