Moving To Hua Hin In September

Manou

Hi all,

Glad to have found this site and forum! Not easy to find some dedicated to Hua Hin.

I am a 26 year old male from Holland with a in my eyes super job, because I can work using an Internet connection.

Next 3 September I am flying to Thailand to base there primarily. As I have to go to for 2 days, 1 night first I will arrive in Hua Hin about 8 September (Leaving in the beginning of November for a 2 week trip to Holland to come back after that).

My planning is to first get a hotel in Hua Hin for about 2 weeks. I already got a good one a good friend of mine directed me too.

After settling in I want to cut out a deal with an Internet cafe so I can do most of my daily work.

In the first two weeks I plan to look and find a good not to expensive 2 bedroom rental home with a land line. The way I was informed it would be no big problem to get a land line and DSL connection if there was already a phone line pointing to the house. But anyone that can tell me different or give any tips please do!

Basically I would just be working my own hours on my laptop over there. So I hope I can buy a wireless router over there. It would give me a lot more flexibility.

Now that you all know my plans I hope to get a couple of new friends trough this forum that maybe can give me some tips or point me in some right directions. It would be highly appreciated! So please IM me if you feel like it.

To not bore you all to much and end this up.. Nice meeting you all and hope to speak to you all soon!

Manou

Hi all,

Glad to have found this site and forum! Not easy to find some dedicated to Hua Hin.

I am a 26 year old male from Holland with a in my eyes super job, because I can work using an Internet connection.

Next 3 September I am flying to Thailand to base there primarily. As I have to go to for 2 days, 1 night first I will arrive in Hua Hin about 8 September (Leaving in the beginning of November for a 2 week trip to Holland to come back after that).

My planning is to first get a hotel in Hua Hin for about 2 weeks. I already got a good one a good friend of mine directed me too.

After settling in I want to cut out a deal with an Internet cafe so I can do most of my daily work.

In the first two weeks I plan to look and find a good not to expensive 2 bedroom rental home with a land line. The way I was informed it would be no big problem to get a land line and DSL connection if there was already a phone line pointing to the house. But anyone that can tell me different or give any tips please do!

Basically I would just be working my own hours on my laptop over there. So I hope I can buy a wireless router over there. It would give me a lot more flexibility.

Now that you all know my plans I hope to get a couple of new friends trough this forum that maybe can give me some tips or point me in some right directions. It would be highly appreciated! So please IM me if you feel like it.

To not bore you all to much and end this up.. Nice meeting you all and hope to speak to you all soon!

Manou

Hello there & welcome to HH!

I've been here about 2 years now & there are plenty of worse places to live! I'm sure you'll love it here.

The Internet connection down here can sometimes drive you batty -- irregular & variable are the kindest things I can say about it! Actually, I switched to a wireless modem/router today & so far, it seems a little better than the old regular-type ADSL one I used before. Nonetheless, I recommend you try to live close to downtown, as the speeds get much weaker when you live further out -- as I do.

Anyway, drop me a message sometime & maybe we can share a few cold ones after you get here. Any advice I can offer is yours -- but I'll need to keep my throat moist, of course! :o

All the best

Troopie

Another posibility is to use GPRS for a while. If speed (30-60k) is not a problem it is rather handy.

I am from the Netherlands and i work through the internet too. I have the best experience using Remote Desktop. For that i setup a computer with all the stuff i need. For me that is Windows 2003 server, Visual studio, sql databases. I use 3 virtual machines hosted on that computer. Easy for backing up.

When i have to work i just connect to this computer and do my stuff. Backups i do with KPN online backup. When the computer is in a datacaenter backup up large files throught the internet is quit good. Speed is 1000 Mbit.

When i travel i can choose to work in an internet shop, on my laptop with GPRS (edge and umts), or at home with dialup or dsl.

It is very flexible.

Give it some thought, practice working remote first to get a feel for what is the best setup for you.

Once in Thailand you just have to have dicipline (sp)! It is so easy to go to the beach, eat at a restaurant, go out, that you will forget about the work that has to be done. :o

Have a great time!

Thanks for all the welcoming replies!

Hope to receive even more in this topic!

I'll try to give everyone a personal message and reply to tips as much as possible.

Don't know if the remote desktop & GRPS is something for me..

Not always but sometimes I need a little speed and I am much to changing in my system to use a preset remote setup.

But in another situation it would be a good solution!

And yes I need to keep some discipline. I "plan" on having regular working times with some flexibility when I am settled.

Something like try to work from 9-17 at least at weekdays and more if needed, but not make to much "fun" appointments during this time if it is not a special thing I really want to do (so going to the beach etc. is not what is in my intention to call special LOL).

You are right its going to be very difficult to do this in a new environment.. That's why right now I am working hard to have some easy weeks when I arrive to settle in in a relaxed way and look for a nice place to live with some time on my hands.

Good tip to look for a place to leave close to the centre Troopie. Think that is also the way to have a bigger chance the phone line is already there. And I look forward to having a few cold ones with you, so I will give you my email trough IM.

Manou

Hi all,

Manou

May I ask what kind of Visa you plan to stay in Thailand with?

Sure I am planning to get a 1 year non immigrant multiple entry visa at the Thai ambassy in the next few weeks.

This way I only have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

Thats the right way to go am I right?

Dontcha just love these IT peeps who find it hard to get any information about Hua Hin?

Just google the name!

Me cynic.

LOL not hard, but not everything is covered and trying to make some new Hua Hin friends here.

Most sites give information of what they promote themselves and its always best to ask tips from someone who has been there.

Of course you can deside what you do with it yourself, but its sorta like a manual.. You can maybe not understand what is in there and I show you to press a button and your all set. Live and let live I always say :o

Sure I am planning to get a 1 year non immigrant multiple entry visa at the Thai ambassy in the next few weeks.

This way I only have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

Thats the right way to go am I right?

But on what basis do you think you qualify for such a visa?

On a fun basis.

Sure I am gonne do some work there, but officially I just have my company based at home as well as my clients.

Over here in Holland I have not discovered a reason line on the form by the way, but if I have to give a reason.. Holliday..

A really long one LOL

Why do you ask? Anything I need to know?

Edited by Manou

Hi Manou

You will be fine on that visa,

As long as you are not employed out here or earning money in thailand there will be no problem.

Do your work online at home and enjoy.

There is a glut of property here at present to rent so take your time and look around for the best deal.

If you have any problems give me a pm and i will help you find a place at the right price.

As said internet is no problem (not for me anyway). not as fast as they claim but does the job.

Mike.

Thanks mike!

Was already worried that I was misinformed about the easiness to get this Visa, so you made my day! LOL

Always nice to meet some friendly expats over there so if you are up for it give me a pm to let me buy you a Singa :o

Manou

Thanks mike!

Was already worried that I was misinformed about the easiness to get this Visa, so you made my day! LOL

Always nice to meet some friendly expats over there so if you are up for it give me a pm to let me buy you a Singa :o

Manou

A Singha? Why not buy him a beer instead -- make it a Chang! :D

Try as I might, I cannot find a ' for fun ' category listed among those that may qualify one for a non immigrant visa leading to a 1 year stay. If I am right in assuming the OP is a newcomer to Thailand with no special affiliation it seems to me that a visit visa is his only option and given the current regime that limits the issue of these to genuine tourists perhaps the best he can anticipate is a double entry. Perhaps I am wrong and there may be someone who can confirm Tuktukmike's assertion to the contrary is the correct one?

While I'm on a marriage visa, I have lots of friends and acquintances on the "fun" visa. It seems if you really want to stay in Hua Hin and have lots of positive energy it always works out within the immigration framework. A little creativity and flexibility and persistence go a long way.

Try as I might, I cannot find a ' for fun ' category listed among those that may qualify one for a non immigrant visa leading to a 1 year stay. If I am right in assuming the OP is a newcomer to Thailand with no special affiliation it seems to me that a visit visa is his only option and given the current regime that limits the issue of these to genuine tourists perhaps the best he can anticipate is a double entry. Perhaps I am wrong and there may be someone who can confirm Tuktukmike's assertion to the contrary is the correct one?

the gent,

As you know, I don't often agree with you, but I'm with you 100% on this one. It is not as easy as certain members are making out. For an unmarried (to a Thai) person, under 50, with no work (& so no work permit) to stay in Thailand for "fun" for one year is not going to be easy due to the current enforcement of regulations.

Anyone can apply for a non immigrant multi O visa, and at present there is no problem obtaining this visa.

Penang have also now started re-issuing this visa along with B visas.

I dont see where anyone thinks there is a problem for this guy obtaining this visa.

Single unmarried to a thai is no problem, reason for applying for an O visa. Long Holiday.

I would imagine 90% of guys out here are on this very same visa.

Mike. :o

Edited by tuktukmike