Man arrested in Pattaya for threatening Songkran revellers with a gun

snoop1130

Untitled1-1-768x510.jpg

Police in Pattaya have arrested a Thai man who threatened people with a ‘real’ gun during the Songkran celebrations.

According to a report from the Pattaya News, the incident happened on Saturday afternoon, April 13, in the Banglamung district. While people were out indulging in Songkran celebrations, a man, named only as 47 year old Mr Chamnan, became involved in a heated argument with a number of people.

The reason for the argument has not been confirmed, but it’s understood Chamnan produced a Colt pistol from his home and began threatening the group. A woman named as 37 year old Pathama Nomcharoen intervened and managed to restrain Chamnan until police were called.

By Peter Roche

Caption: PHOTOS: The Pattaya News

Full story: Phuket GO 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

From the image provided, I would say that the weapon is NOT a Colt, but a cheap, imitation, knock-off that just slightly resembles a product from Colt.

For one thing, this guy sitting on the ground does not appear as if he might be able to afford a Colt.

The cost for the cheapest begin at about Bt.35000, if purchased in the US, and from the manufacturer.

So, is that a Colt?

Or, not!

https://www.colt.com/product-category/pistols/

This is the link to Colt's website.

But, there is no need to upload images of firearms to this forum, maybe....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

That is NOT a Colt, manufactured by Colt.

That seems to be just a cheap Garbage gun.

It would be very embarrassing to carry one of those.

I, personally, would not be caught dead with one of those cheap weapons.

Almost as bad as a Saturday Night Special, in fact.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

From the image provided, I would say that the weapon is NOT a Colt, but a cheap, imitation, knock-off that just slightly resembles a product from Colt.

For one thing, this guy sitting on the ground does not appear as if he might be able to afford a Colt.

The cost for the cheapest begin at about Bt.35000, if purchased in the US, and from the manufacturer.

So, is that a Colt?

Or, not!

https://www.colt.com/product-category/pistols/

This is the link to Colt's website.

But, there is no need to upload images of firearms to this forum, maybe....

That pistol looks pretty old I doubt anyone would go to the expense of making any cheap copies. There would have been plenty of this style of gun around in the 60's and 70's and Colts have been around forever, so it might be an old service pistol. US Vets. any ideas?

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

That pistol looks pretty old I doubt anyone would go to the expense of making any cheap copies. There would have been plenty of this style of gun around in the 60's and 70's and Colts have been around forever, so it might be an old service pistol. US Vets. any ideas?

I think not.

Reason:  I had a Colt 0.45 1911 Nickel Brush finish semi-automatic handgun manufactured by Colt in the very early 1970s, when I purchased it new.

That was definitely a quality gun.

Please check this schematic and compare it to that piece of Garbage in the news image.

Then, you will probably see what I mean.

image.png.36a3d7dc4740ae2a42314c4699dcdb46.png

ALSO, am I mistaken?

Or, is it true that the Recoil Spring Plug is missing from the Pattaya weapon in question?

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It is cheap to make a copy of the M1911 .45 Automatic Pistol...

For example:

40 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think not.

Reason:  I had a Colt 0.45 1911 Nickel Brush finish semi-automatic handgun manufactured by Colt in the very early 1970s, when I purchased it new.

Please check this schematic and compare it to that piece of Garbage in the news image.

ALSO, am I mistaken?

Or, is it true that the Recoil Spring Plug is missing from the Pattaya weapon in question?

No need to be pedantic.  Most countries outside the US have banned handgun ownership for the non-criminal class.

I gave the "thanks" for the information.  

Now I can't get "Saturday Night Special" out of my head !

51 minutes ago, grain said:

So it's not just grumpy old expats who get pee'd off with Songkran revelers, Thais get sick of it too. 

If they did a GoFundMe to raise this guy's bail, half the guys here on AN would kick in.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

No need to be pedantic.  Most countries outside the US have banned handgun ownership for the non-criminal class.

Head over to Old Siam Plaza in Bangkok Chinatown and you'll see that Thailand isn't one of them.  Dozens of gun shops within a stone's throw.  But eye watering prices...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I gave the "thanks" for the information.  

Now I can't get "Saturday Night Special" out of my head !

My pleasure.

Enjoy your final day of Songkran with this great song repeating in your head.

Amazing video, and thanks for the upload.

Bunch of long-haired Hippies...and

The way we liked it.

Those great days are now, so unfortunately, lost to history.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think not.

ALSO, am I mistaken?

How can I possibly compare this schematic to a grainy blurred image of the offending pistol.

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

How can I possibly compare this schematic to a grainy blurred image of the offending pistol.

Please just search the Internet to find a higher resolution image, as did I, before I posted the schematic.

Thank you.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It is cheap to make a copy of the M1911 .45 Automatic Pistol...

For example:

Your example actually shows two "copies". Versions of the 1911 are produced by several manufacturers.

Which one is the copy??