Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Is that a portrait of him from his lover?

If so I thought inter species sex/marriage was banned there!

Ewe would not believe what some get UP to!

No, she's waiting in anticipation........😘.............πŸ˜‚

• Haha 1

Just now, 0ffshore360 said:

It is not easy to identify who has the greater legitimate intolerance in this topic.

I think it is quite easy IMO as we have one self confessed Brit hater and those making remarks regarding those posts/poster!

• Thanks 1

Guys Guys have you not sussed Goat yet? your falling into his trap every time you you Diss him That is what he wants he gets off on it knowing your answering him just let him spew his rubbish or he will get the thread locked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

It is not easy to identify who has the greater legitimate intolerance in this topic.

Try reading a bit more of ONE Aussies stuff, then you might catch on........πŸ˜‰

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BarraMarra said:

Guys Guys have you not sussed Goat yet? your falling into his trap every time you you Diss him That is what he wants he gets off on it knowing your answering him just let him spew his rubbish or he will get the thread locked.

We know, but TVF lets him do it, must be a reason.....................πŸ€—

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I think it is quite easy IMO as we have one self confessed Brit hater and those making remarks regarding those posts/poster!

Is there an existing difference in legitimacy of standpoint?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If flight prices went back to Β£400-Β£500 Brits would flood back to Thailand believe me..

We know it's an expensive place to visit if you get 'involved' in the night-life scene Β but if you add an Β£800 + flight ticket to it the expense can spiral out of control.

Β 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:30 AM, Misty said:

Β 

So where are British going instead?

Β 

2023 -2024. Interestingly, the UK itself is the most popular (domestic tourism) Thailand does not get a mentionπŸ˜„

Top destinations for UK travellers

"Of the destinations considered, which are you most likely to visit?" (UK adults)

Table with 3 columns and 10 rows.
Rank Destination Score
1 UK
17%
Β 
2 Spain
15%
Β 
15%
3 Greece
8%
Β 
8%
4 Italy
8%
Β 
8%
5 France
7%
Β 
7%
6 Portugal
7%
Β 
7%
7 USA
6%
Β 
6%
8 Ireland
5%
Β 
5%
9 Germany
4%
Β 
4%
10 New York(USA)
3%
3%
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Β 

Β 

Years ago when I was in Pattaya at the beginning of the influx of Russians, when most of them who visited were very wealthy, the Russians had no interest in bar girls or the sex industry.

They do now - I lived in the area for 20 years

• Like 1

Several postsΒ contravening ourΒ Community StandardsΒ have been removed:

• Post in a truthful manner and do not post defamatory comments
  • Please be polite and respectful to others
  • Do not flame, troll or stalk other members
  • Try to be positive with your post content and do not discriminate against others

On 4/20/2024 at 2:39 PM, spidermike007 said:

I have always found the Viet people to be a bit like cold fish. Not particularly fun to be around. With the Thais, many are fun and playful, and have light hearts, which I cannot get enough of.

Β 

Many of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstandingΒ woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis,Β always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. Especially one who is younger, and quite pretty. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the cultureΒ back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at under 700 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there.

It is a very personal choice. I have friends who seem to be dropping like flies. I could be dead next year. You just don't know. I am not extravagant, but I live very, very well. A nice house, a new car every few years, new motorbikes for my gal and I every few years, a great art collection, plenty of good wine in the wine cooler, a new 77" OLED TV, a world class home theatre, plenty of international travel, etc. For me, it is a great lifestyle, that I could only dream of in the US. Well worth the expense and very easy to justify. Life is way too short. I have never been a person of extreme thrift. To each his own.

I used to have more issues than I do now. I worked on my attitude, which was getting in the way of appreciating Thailand for what it is, and was clouding my experience here. Used to stress over stupid stuff, as you can see from some of my past posts. Used to allow the politics to make me angry. Now it is not something I take seriously, just something I comment on, without anger or an emotional investment. Yes, I complain online. So what? It is a healthy form of venting. Now, I just tend to laugh it off. Spent some real time back in the US recently, and it allowed some clarity and perspective, that I am very grateful for. Now, I just chuckle at most of the nonsense. Water off a duck's back, so to speak.
Β 

Well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has been facing a decline in Western tourists for a decade now. There are a dozen good reasons why Westerners don't visit Thailand as much as they used to. I was recently in Phuket and I would estimate the population of foreigners was 40% Russian, 20% Arab, 20% Malaysian and Chinese, 15% Indian, and about 2% Westerners and a sprinkling of some others. It was a low end crowd.Β 

Β 

The sad truth is that Thailand is not doing anything to improve itself they are making absolutely no effort to tackle air quality environmental issues traffic congestion or any other problems plaguing the nation. It seems to be a combination of sloth lack of vision and extreme arrogance.Β 

Β  Β  Β You keep quoting this decline in western tourists over and over again any time this subject comes up and it is simply not true, and certainly not for a 'decade'.Β  From 2015 to 2019, the only 'western' country that had a very slight decline in tourists to Thailand was Australia.Β  All the other western countries tracked, including the UK, were up in numbers during that period.Β  SomeΒ  slightly, some more.Β  UK was up about 5% for that period.Β  The western tourist numbers likely are way down for the past few years as countries are still recovering from covid, but pre-covid, not the case.

https://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourists-nationalities-Thailand.asp

On 4/20/2024 at 11:21 AM, bugger bognor said:

Thailand could learn a few lessons from Cambodia 300 dollars for a year reTirement Visa 2 picturesΒ  took 2weeks to get no paperwork no embassy or immigration vIsit done from my hotel no 90 day report no tm30 and multiple entRY and a very warm welcome

Β 

Β 

Cambodia has an equivalent of the TM30, which, unlike Thailand is an absolute requirement for extending a visa. I say this because each immigration office is different. While many require a TM30, not all of them do.

Β 

One difference is that the Cambodian system doesn't appear to require re-registration if you've traveled somewhere.

<<Beyond tangible costs and regulations, a subtler shift in Thailand's perceived image may be at play. Some British tourists mention concerns about overdevelopment in certain areas, diminishing authenticity, and occasional reports of scams or incidents targeting foreigners. While these issues might not be widespread, they can contribute to an overall impression that influences a traveler's decision-making process.>>

Β 

OK. It is all Thailand's fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:50 PM, Tropicalevo said:

The offerings are usually reciprocal.

How can Thais get into the UK visa free?

Β 

Thailand is negotiating for visa-free access to Schengen.

Won't help Brits obviously, but that could definitely be useful for Thais living in the UK as it would get rid of the need to get a visa for a day trip to France or Belgium, or just the whole pain of dealing with visas when booking a holiday in Europe (because the visa process for Schengen requires that you have booked the flights, and booked the hotels, prior to applying for the visa - which means you have to either pay extra for a refundable booking, or be willing to lose the money if the visa isn't granted on time).

I have a Thai wife, but I'm currently in Hong Kong, and she can cross the border to China with no issues where I have to get a visa in advance. The Thai and UK passports are moving in opposite directions on the passport strength list that shows the number of countries you can enter visa free.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ty Hareways said:

If flight prices went back to Β£400-Β£500 Brits would flood back to Thailand believe me..

We know it's an expensive place to visit if you get 'involved' in the night-life scene Β but if you add an Β£800 + flight ticket to it the expense can spiral out of control.

Β 

Blame Brexit for that.

The pound was worth more than 52 baht the day before the vote. 47 baht a few days later, and it's not as if it's recovered in the years since. it's around 45-46 baht right now - and that's following a recent improvement.

Β 

You can still get under Β£550 these days if you book 4-5 months in advance, avoid school holidays, and avoid peak season in December/January and you don't fly direct... - i.e. Etihad in September is Β£536 return on skyscanner at the moment.

Β 

The economic downturn in the UK is one of the worst in developped countries so it makes sense far holidays tend to decline.

A bit suprised Thailand decided to advantage Russia over the rest of Europe for visa exemption. It doesn't give a good image of the country. And seeing Phuket as a Russian colony is not very attractive in the current context.

Maybe we haven't seen better visa exemption because they try to negociate some access to European countries for Thai people. Hope they get it, I would be happy to see more Thai tourists in Europe and better visa exemptions.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:26 PM, BestB said:

That’s the difference between being a tourist and someone living full time.

Β 

while internet speeds are impressive getting connected , reconnected or disconnected from the service may turn into a ww3 , as more than often simple things are turned into a nightmare.

you say thailsnd plowed ahead? In what regard?Β 
Β 

let me tell you , I opened a new company and no one knows what license I require to get . Each government office points finger at each other while I go in circlesΒ 

Β 

my visa has been same for 25 years and yet every year they require same documents over and over again and sadly enough it is the same officer manning same counter who has seen me 25 years and not once have I had just a nod , forget about a smile or a small talk.

Β 

even bar scene. There are there to entertain and get drinks from foreigners and yet speak even less English than they did a decade agoΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

"my visa has been same for 25 years and yet every year they require same documents over and over again and sadly enough it is the same officer manning same counter who has seen me 25 years and not once have I had just a nod , forget about a smile or a small talk."

Β 

Couldn't agree more! Especially the text that I have highlighted!Β 

Β 

Maybe someone on here can explain why they need the same documentation year after year after year? For instance, I can understand them needing a Kor Ror 2 form every year to prove that you are still married, but why do they need a copy of your Marriage Certificate EVERY YEAR? That is just one instance of what I consider to be unnnecessary paperwork - there are many more!Β 

Β 

Surely these details can be/are kept on a computer, so they could just put in your name/passport number, and press "Enter" and print off a "check list"?

Β 

Very frustrating in this day and age - no wonder Thailand in many respects is still considered a Third World Country!!!Β 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1