The pandemic cost 7 million lives, but talks to prevent a repeat stall

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 7:32 PM, Longwood50 said:

For two years the media headlines and TV news were essentially "chicken littles" with the sky is falling.  All because of Covid.  Now suddenly nothing has changed. No one is worrying about where to get their next Covid shot.  Few if any are wearing masks.  there are no restrictions to travel due to Covid.  The result.  Covid was just like any other infectious disease.  Some people will get it, others will not. Some will have severe health complications from it, others wont'  But now the media is silent.  I guess it is a good thing we shut the economies of the world down for two years and bankrupted millions of businesses and people to end up exactly where we were pre-covid.   

Had we not taken urgent action then, many more would have died.

Maybe those saved lives aren't worth much to you.

When the first wave hit, I quarantined myself on a farm by myself, leaving only once a week for groceries, masked up. Outside the fence of my farm, people were dying like flies. Taking precautions may have saved my life during that first wave.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

If that was true then countries that did little to nothing about covid would top the death charts. But they don’t. They most clearly don’t actually. 

A lot of countries that did nothing about COVID didn't bother to count COVID deaths.

I vaguely recall that the president of Tanzania claimed there was no COVID in Tanzania. He subsequently died of COVID.

not all countries have the infrastructure and capacity to register and report all deaths. In richer countries with high-quality mortality reporting systems, nearly 100% of deaths are registered. But in many low- and middle-income countries, undercounting of mortality is a serious issue. The UN estimates that, in “normal” times, only two-thirds of countries register at least 90% of all deaths that occur, and some countries register less than 50% — or even under 10% — of deaths. During the pandemic the actual coverage might be even lower.

Edited by Danderman123

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

If that was true then countries that did little to nothing about covid would top the death charts. But they don’t. They most clearly don’t actually. 

Try reading this before you post more Covid nonsense...........🤔

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/coronavirus-how-brazil-became-the-second-worst-affected-country-in-the-world

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Can you name some other countries that did little to nothing about covid? Did the country you name top the death list per capita. Hint: it won’t, most likely. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Can you name some other countries that did little to nothing about covid?

Sweden of course where decimated during the "Covid Pandemic"

Early in the pandemic:

Sweden's king says 'we have failed' over COVID-19, as deaths mount

By Reuters --December 18, 2020

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden's king said his country had failed in its handling of COVID-19, in a sharp criticism of a pandemic policy partly blamed for a high death toll among the elderly.
An official commission said on Tuesday systemic shortcomings in elderly care coupled with inadequate measures from the government and agencies contributed to Sweden's particularly high death toll in nursing homes.
Sweden has registered more than 7,800 deaths, a much higher per capita rate than its Nordic neighbours but lower than in Britain, Italy, Spain or France, which have all opted for lockdowns.

And then later:

Did Sweden beat the pandemic by refusing to lock down? No, its record is disastrous

March 31, 2022

"The bottom line is that Swedes suffered grievously from Tegnell’s policies. According to the authoritative Johns Hopkins pandemic tracker, while its total death rate from February 2020 through this week, 1,790 per million population, is better than that of the U.S. (2,939), Britain (2,420) and France (2,107), it’s worse than that of Germany (1,539), Canada (984) and Japan (220).

More tellingly, it’s much worse than the rate of its Nordic neighbors Denmark (961), Norway (428) and Finland (538), all of which took a tougher anti-pandemic approach."

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-03-31/sweden-covid-policy-was-a-disaster

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seppius said:

How many people died from the flu during the pandemic?, usually it's around 700,000 a years

https://ourworldindata.org/influenza

COVID deaths, even now, still far outpacing flu and RSV deaths in the U.S., as they have throughout the pandemic:

Severe Viral Respiratory Illness

Screenshot_5.jpg.588b16866145503352c9bc5c360efb7a.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/data-research/dashboard/illness-severity.html

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, johng said:

Sweden did quite well  without all the hysteria.

Their king didn't think so, nor did the actual COVID death stats:

Sweden's king says 'we have failed' over COVID-19, as deaths mount

By Reuters --December 18, 2020

Sweden has registered more than 7,800 deaths, a much higher per capita rate than its Nordic neighbours [emphasis added] but lower than in Britain, Italy, Spain or France, which have all opted for lockdowns.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Global pandemic treaty to be concluded by 2025, WHO says

LONDON, June 1 (Reuters) - Talks aimed at reaching a global agreement on how to better fight pandemics will be concluded by 2025 or earlier if possible, the World Health Organization said on Saturday.

The WHO's 194 member states have been negotiating for two years on an agreement that could increase collaboration before and during pandemics after the acknowledged failures during COVID-19.

The UN-agency had initially aimed for an agreement this week, but talks have been extended amid deep divisions between rich and poorer countries on issues like vaccine-sharing and preparedness.

Countries did, however, reach a parallel deal to update existing legally-binding health rules, known as the International Health Regulations (IHR), which includes a new category of "pandemic emergency" for the most significant and globally threatening health crises.

(more)

You would look at excess mortality numbers since covid started to understand how well Sweden did relative to the rest of Europe. Not link obscure articles from 2020 to fit your narrative. 

It’s yet another case of the lockdown hysterics moving the goal posts. The first round was “it’ll be utter apocalyptic in Sweden”. When that didn’t work out, they started in one the Denmark, Norway. I’m quite sick of the disingenuousness of it all actually. If you really can’t see what happened by now god help you. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve posed this question so many times, I e never gotten an answer of course. If lockdowns worked why wouldn’t Sweden be at the very top of the world death charts with the most deaths, along with other countries who did little to nothing? You’d see them all topping the charts. But we don’t. So…. But whatever. Believe whatever you’ve been spoonfed

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I’ve posed this question so many times, I e never gotten an answer of course. If lockdowns worked why wouldn’t Sweden be at the very top of the world death charts with the most deaths, along with other countries who did little to nothing? You’d see them all topping the charts. But we don’t. So…. But whatever. Believe whatever you’ve been spoonfed

Interesting,i do not have any answers but maybe it is because a lot of factors are involved?

Climate,hours of daylight,density of the population, even diet can make a difference?

I am sure one day this all be will be answered but it will take some studies.

Posted (edited)

Because the population characteristics and density in Sweden are considerably different than those in the more urbanized countries of Europe...

But when you compare Sweden to its comparable neighboring countries that have more common characteristics and also chose to impose more COVID restrictions, Sweden came out far behind with much higher excess mortality during the pandemic.

Screenshot_8.jpg.f07e16395032cc35ab82a1bc70984c1e.jpg

Source:

And similar findings by Johns Hopkins, which looked at per capita COVID death rates across all countries through March 2023: Sweden again, far exceeding its comparable neighbors that had more restrictions.

Screenshot_9.jpg.c69ede4faf01e911f714db5f94f0ca5b.jpg

Screenshot_12.jpg.82e7c680078bdc0872f9d4ae3e37faa2.jpg

Screenshot_13.jpg.07512e29048d8d9df331a72bb9ac7cdd.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg.87037083184abe76995bf359549f2a7c.jpg

Screenshot_14.jpg.fcfcdc2be4e1c72d36d1d8eaa1e1340b.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

Interesting,i do not have any answers but maybe it is because a lot of factors are involved?

Climate,hours of daylight,density of the population, even diet can make a difference?

I am sure one day this all be will be answered but it will take some studies.

Exactly. Which is why there may be some variation between sweden and neighbors. Just like there was between states in the usa. But what we can be sure of is if lockdowns worked the people who did not do them would be head and shoulders above other nations who did them in deaths. But they’re not. I guess this is complicated. It doesn’t seem like it is to me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Another post with entirely unsourced and unsubstantiated claims has been removed.

Per the forum's rules:

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

Also, the thread topic here is about a potential  treaty aimed at enhancing international cooperation in the event of any future global pandemics. Further posting needs to address the actual topic of the thread.