Thai Government Contemplates Loan for Digital Wallet Program

webfact

I would love to know the interest rate on a 172 billion baht loan and the total repayable over the loan's lifetime.

If the government can get a loan of 172 billion interest-free, I would gladly give the entire cabinet a <deleted>. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

I would love to know the interest rate on a 172 billion baht loan and the total repayable over the loan's lifetime.

If the government can get a loan of 172 billion interest-free, I would gladly give the entire cabinet a <deleted>. 

Why don't they use all those millions being wasted on the 'New Senate' election vote just announced???? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!!!!5555😏😏😏😏😂🤣😂🤣

3 hours ago, webfact said:

by providing 10,000 baht in digital currency for local purchases, with expectations of stimulating economic activity.

Vote bribe pure and simple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Also if anyone who is literate on this can explain how "digital money creates a multiplier effect" I would love to hear that explaination

Digital money is spent by those who otherwise cannot to make purchases, thus increasing consumer spending, a GDP Sector.

Thavisin needs a loan for his digital wallet scheme while planning to build the world's tallest building the Burj Khalifa at 821m high, costing US$1.5 billion.

Seems like questionable priorities. 

Maybe use building funds for free higher education or work skills that helps the Thai citizens be self sustaining.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well for some reason they appointed Srettha as Finance Minister in addition to PM. He's now revealing his level of absolute genius. Always a visionary move to stimulate the economy with more debt. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, jonclark said:

Okay - so no new debt is created right?

Shouldn't all governments be following Thailand's example then to improve GDP by giving away money at every election? If increasing consumer spending through monetary gift creates a boost to GDP. I am surprised other governments don't regularly follow this model to strengthen their country's ecomony? 

While the idea is sound, the problem is that a lot of people don't spend their money, but rather save it.  It's like "trickle-down economics", the idea is that the more money business people have, the more they will spend on employing people (hence we should give them tax-breaks).  The problem is that when business people make more money, rather than growing their business and passing that money onto their employees, they hoard it.