Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

5 hours ago, superal said:

It is clearly odds on that K. Starmer will be the next PM , after yesterdays by election results . So I have emailed him at the House of Commons and asked him if he will review / unfreeze  the UK pension for those living abroad outside of reciprocal agreement countries . What chance of a reply ?

He is a courteous and conscientious man by all accounts so I think you will certainly receive a reply.However it's unrealistic that he would endorse such a large unfunded commitment shortly before a General Election and at a time of acute financial pressure with many competing priorities.My understanding is that the cost of uprating is approximately Pounds 1 billion p.a and there are about 500,000 overseas people affected.Actually that's a smaller figure than I has earlier anticipated and is I think doable under the right circumstances.But it will in any scenario be a long time from now.What's needed I think is a much more aggressive campaign - demonstrations against visiting UK ministers, lobbying Ambassadors on every occasion with energy and directness (don't let them get away with their usual - nothing to do with me mate responses), lobbying for expat representation in Parliament like the French.Expats now have the vote so a persistent and annoying letter writing campaign to MPs can be undertaken.Don't play nice - it won't advance the cause.Don't be shy about embarrassing decision makers.

• Thanks 1

As long as one admits to be living in Thailand, pensions will not be increased. Before the incumbent PM agrees to a spend of a billion pounds, he/she will calculate the number of votes this is likely to bring him/her and they will of course, add up to zilch.

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

However it's unrealistic that he would endorse such a large unfunded commitment shortly before a General Election and at a time of acute financial pressure with many competing priorities.

Everyone wants to make it about money but that is a distraction, it is about morality and equality.

You are right it is all about campaigning which hasn't been handled very well. The APPG said it should be abolished but they tried to push financial hardship rather than injustice.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:26 PM, MicroB said:

And its possible, without having made no contributions in tax and national insurance, to return to the UK after a working career outside of it, and receive full benefit of that NHS.

Todays taxes are to pay for today's healthcare, not tomorrow's.

Only if you intend to, or imply you intend to, stay in UK.

The same for any expats.