This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

Just do like Borat and walk up to them all “how much” 

probably need to wear a "mankini" like his to get away with that

i have 3 ac, 2 is 24k btu and 1 is 34k btu, run all day, my bill this month is almost 12k bht, the highest I have ever pay a bill for electricity

Edited by vinci
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

It could be an issue with your AC unit or units. First of all you should always use an inverter they save up to 40% on electric. Secondarily you have to have your AC cleaned thoroughly every 6 months, the whole thing has to be dissembled, and third the screens should be cleaned every two weeks. Efficiency is the name of the game, if it's your place I would also look into insulation. 

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Googled this as never heard of a punkha before. Couldn't find any available on-line. Let me know where you bought yours.

Some even come with a punkha wallah.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

well lets say 40b / drink so that would be 40 * 30 = 1200 baht    However for most normal people,  the embarrassment factor of sitting in Amazon all day, and  with just one coffee  would be priceless

Take three friends.

Share one coffee.

If anyone asks, that's how they do it back home in Chennai.

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Some even come with a punkha wallah.

A "wallah" is someone who flips the fan back and forth for you, right? I don't think I would be comfortable sleeping with someone sitting in the corner flipping a fan back and forth.

punkah-wallah-1.jpeg.b7a731c38e241beefe1699a637ed722a.jpeg

A woman reading under a punkah at her residence in Berhampore, 1863.

But perhaps I could rig something up where the operator was in another room. I can only imagine the look on my neighbor's faces if I offered them a job to be a punkha wallah for me. 

8npn6cbpn5181.png.webp.db2f9c9f4ad1c49244ae7b45b4ad7c42.webp

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, vinci said:

i have 3 ac, 2 is 24k btu and 1 is 34k btu, run all day, my bill this month is almost 12k bht, the highest I have ever pay a bill for electricity

maybe it's time relocate out of the barn and in to a house.

4 hours ago, Marcous said:

Try putting the AC on dehumidify mode and take regular (probably lukewarm) showers. 

Also, a spray nozzle shower head works to cool the water coming out of the shower.

Here's a chart showing the cooling effect of water at various temps and humidity levels. 

TURBO-25K-chart-500x400.jpg.9c665ec118d85eb3a7a856afbad4ee65.jpg

A shower cools you very briefly, but then you start sweating again immediately.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A shower cools you very briefly, but then you start sweating again immediately.

Fresh borehole water from 60m straight in to the bath tub, and a fan skimming the surface of the water cools you down. Add some ice cubes. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Been out of the UK 18 months, 3 bed semi, all electric, usual bills approximately 300 quid a month, 150 electric, 50 water rates and 100 council tax, all gone up substantially since.

Over here lived for the last 13 months in a 3 bed bungalow out in the sticks, cost me less than 100 quid all in for electric and water, no council tax, per month.

What's not to like, and then there is cheaper car running costs, smokes, not a big drinker but that's cheaper and I get great sex 24/7, winner winner chicken dinner.

That's the spirit , good man. Keep it up.  We need more posts like this on here, 

I wonder if any of the serial moaners out there, started off with a healthy attitude like this but slowly but inexorably morphed into the sad old men that predominate this forum. Or have they like i suspect , always been a crowd of whinging cantankerous old sad sacks. I suspect the latter

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Keep talking like that and someone gonna lower your carbon emissions ...

exactly its 43 deg who gives a to$$ about carbon emissions, leave that to the doom goblin Thunberg and others like her

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vinci said:

Do you have incredibly large rooms, or did homepro set their best salesman onto your missis ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Googled this as never heard of a punkha before. Couldn't find any available on-line. Let me know where you bought yours. 😄

On a more serious note, this equating how much air conditioning/electricity you use with socio-economic status has got to stop. If you have good cross-ventilation, shade trees around the house, live out in the countryside, etc., your need for air conditioning in Thailand can be greatly reduced. Bragging about how low you set the thermostat on your air conditioner is like bragging about how low the gas mileage on your SUV is.

You try growing vegetables in 108F (43 C) heat, and you'll start to appreciate my perspective. Keep blasting your air conditioners and telling yourself you're living large because you can afford a 6,000 baht monthly electric bill. But there are environmental consequences for this behavior and if people were paying attention they'd see they're already paying a heavy price (i.e., quality and availability of produce, etc.) 

I saw a DW news report on the SE Asian heat wave yesterday that said Thailand has - for the moment - a relatively resilient power grid, but many other neighboring countries are experiencing power black outs because of high demand. Whatcha gonna do if and when that starts happening here? :whistling: 

People who are conserving their power consumption should be lauded, not ridiculed.

I agree keeping ones overheads as low a possible is common sense. No point in pouring money down the drain.   But with the likes of China India Brazil etc allegedly  pumping millions of tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere every single day, berating people here for setting their aircon a couple of degrees too low for a few moths of the year is pathetic and  expecting it to make one iota of difference  is laughable.

It is an attitude like this that alienates normal people from the self obsessed climate change fanatics. Its actually a rather unpleasant form of victim blaming

People who conserve their power consumption should be applauded, not "lauded"

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This heat wave is costing me a lot of money...

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?

FYI, pigs don't sweat.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

maybe it's time relocate out of the barn and in to a house.

"barn"?   sounds like he lives in a cathedral, possibly a ruin

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I agree keeping ones overheads as low a possible is common sense. No point in pouring money down the drain.   But with the likes of China India Brazil etc allegedly  pumping millions of tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere every single day, berating people here for setting their aircon a couple of degrees too low for a few moths of the year is pathetic and  expecting it to make one iota of difference  is laughable.

It is an attitude like this that alienates normal people from the self obsessed climate change fanatics. Its actually a rather unpleasant form of victim blaming

Good grief. I see 'whataboutism' is alive and well on this thread. You pointing to other polluting countries, and the other guy pointing to Bill Gates' jets as justification for  continuing behavior you know is contributing to the problem.

You should read Jared Diamond's 'Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.' There's a story in there about how the Easter Island society died out. They think it's because people cut down the last tree, and were no longer able to leave the island due to a lack of canoes. The lemming 'keep on doing what you're doing, change is pointless' mentality is cited over and over again in the book.

Do you have a vegetable garden? How's it doing this year? What if there were power outages in Thailand due to inability of the power grid to keep up? Just buy a generator, roll another joint, and don't worry, be happy, huh? Good luck with that approach. I think you're gonna need it.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have lived in Thailand for thirty-four years and have never had air conditioning.  I just paid my electric bill for the past month today. it was 767 baht.

It would be with no A/C, and turn your PC on once a week.........😝

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Do you have incredibly large rooms, or did homepro set their best salesman onto your missis ?

That’s always my question. Why do people hang out in these huge cavernous rooms all day, and cool their entire homes. Get a small office or something, be productive. Whatever though peeps can crank it however they see fit

18 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have lived in Thailand for thirty-four years and have never had air conditioning.  I just paid my electric bill for the past month today. it was 767 baht.

Jesus. That’s my electric bill with ac. Not this month but many months it is

• Confused 2