Why are Thais short-changed on new car warranties?

On 4/29/2024 at 12:36 PM, giddyup said:

I see the MG brand (and many other brands) in Australia  give a 7 year, unlimited klms warranty on new cars, yet Thailand only gets 4 years. Why?

Have you ever driven in one , I thought it sounded like the Flintstone Mobile , Rubble Rubble , and an Aussie guy hid don bought the truck Gearbox hone in 3 months lol

On 4/29/2024 at 3:46 PM, Photoguy21 said:

Could be it is based on the standard of the road and the quality of the driving coupled with the higher temperatures that reduces the warrantee.

Same when I lived in Saudi. The warranties were greatly reduced, I guess due to the high temperatures, large temperature fluctuations, battery life, etc. If a battery lasted three years you were doing well. Even servicing was a lot more frequent at 5,000 km due to dust and sand etc.

Toyota UK  and its sister company Lexus UK , offers the best car warranty policy. Here’s how it works: like most other manufacturers, the basic cover you get is limited to three years or 60,000 miles, whichever happens first. However. Every time you have your car serviced according to schedule at a Toyota main dealer, your warranty cover is automatically extended for another year or 10,000 miles, up to a maximum of 10 years or 100,000 miles.

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/articles/best-car-warranties-uk

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:28 PM, giddyup said:

My experience has been the opposite. When my Triton was still under warranty I never paid for anything other than oil change and filter (usually around 1000 baht), they never tried to push anything I didn't need.

But did you know what was needed?

A lot of Thais seem to be considerably less sophisticated when it comes to customer service and warranties than in a lot of other countries. When I return something to a store or demand customer satisfaction Thais are often quite surprised that I would make the effort, and they're also often quite surprised when I get a positive result. You don't get anything in this world unless you ask for it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Same when I lived in Saudi. The warranties were greatly reduced, I guess due to the high temperatures, large temperature fluctuations, battery life, etc. If a battery lasted three years you were doing well. Even servicing was a lot more frequent at 5,000 km due to dust and sand etc.

I guess no high temperatures, rough roads or sand and dust in Australia.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

BS Nissan wanted 1,200b for a cabin filter. Nissan Juke. 

They try everything on, before it goes in the workshop they give you a bill to sign, I have to cross out all the items I haven't asked for. 

I had a Nissan Sylphy....same engine and many other parts as the Duke....240 baht fitted for the cabin filter....after warranty expired I fitted it myself around 160 baht incl post from Lazada/Shoppee drop the glovebox 4 screws and its there,30 minutes max.....someone was taking the urine out of you.

Edited by petermik
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

I had a Nissan Sylphy....same engine and many other parts as the Duke....240 baht fitted for the cabin filter....after warranty expired I fitted it myself around 160 baht incl post from Lazada/Shoppee.....someone was taking the urine out of you.

Yep, I get them on Lazada, brake pads too.........🤗

After I've vacuumed them a few times first......🤭

Edited by transam

17 minutes ago, petermik said:

I had a Nissan Sylphy....same engine and many other parts as the Duke....240 baht fitted for the cabin filter....after warranty expired I fitted it myself around 160 baht incl post from Lazada/Shoppee drop the glovebox 4 screws and its there,30 minutes max.....someone was taking the urine out of you.

No I told them to blow it out with an airline, (same with engine air filter) then fitted one from Lazada, I got ripped off I paid 180 baht Inc. post :giggle:

I have also fitted new rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders from Lazada, I have the new pads ready for when I hear metal to metal, Nissan told me 20+k ago they needed to be replaced. ( I'm a mechanic by trade ).

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

I guess no high temperatures, rough roads or sand and dust in Australia.

I am assuming by your post that warranties in Aus are good? :smile:

Possibly because a MG won't make it past 4 years. And their values will be next to nothing  by than. Those that know , know I'm not exaggerating.  

• Sad 2

Everyone is giving all these comments about warranties and fail to answer the OPs question... I will try. Have you ever seen Thais or heard them comment about going to the shop to service their vehicle? Most service done is when there is already a problem with the car. Hence, an extended service warranty would not be cost effective for the buyer. When I bought my Chevy, we ask the seller many questions about warranty information, all of which he had to look up, showing he knew nothing about the topic. I am sure this is prevalent for other sellers in the country. Thais do not consider maintenance relevant as shown in most everything. So why buy it or check about longer maintenance programs offered. Also, one other replier gave a good comment about the cost in using maintenance warranty. Even though they offer it, you still end up paying more than if taken to a different shop and having it done.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Possibly because a MG won't make it past 4 years. And their values will be next to nothing  by than. Those that know , know I'm not exaggerating.  

Any hard facts to back up your speculations????

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

Any hard facts to back up your speculations????

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

Ha! Those that know, know you're talking nonsense.

Last September, I sold an MG ZS EV which was just over 4 years old. Got a fair price for it.

It drove like new and looked like new the day I sold it.

Lots of knowledgeable folk come on here LOL....

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Been to Saudi and got the T-shirt. I know exactly what you mean and totally agree with you.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 6:11 AM, transam said:

Could be, I don't know, but I wouldn't buy an MG, it's a fake...............😂

A fake what?

• Agree 1