Biden's Controversial Critique: Japan and Allies Labeled 'Xenophobic

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Uh, I've been to Japan.

I'm here now actually. Been here more than 25 years.  So perhaps I can address your concerns.  The economy will survive by automation, as it is now. Robots replacing workers and so on, increasing productivity.  And they do let in foreign workers, depending on the needs of a particular industry. But what does NOT happen is the random immigration of anyone who wants to come.  

How does that address the allegation of xenophobia?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Have you ever been to Japan?  I lived in Japan a few years.  Even they know they have problems, with declining birth rates and an aging population.  But there was still a resistance to "gaijins," or foreigners.  Yes, Japan is among the safest and cleanest places I've been.  But their economy will not survive unless they're more open to foreign workers. 

I disagree, their economy will survive, and is very dynamic right now. Their economy may diminish in size, they may have negative GDP which is to be expected when populations decline, but negative GDP is not as bad as people portray it to be. So what if the economy shrinks? So what if jobs are lost?

A nation can continue to thrive under those circumstances and a growing population is not necessarily a good thing. 

• Agree 2

Well I would have to agree that Japan and Russia in particular are somewhat xenophobic, from everything that I've seen and heard. But maybe that's not such a bad thing. 

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If you can kindly explain how immigration fixes this I would be obliged. Short term yes, long term you are agreeing with an almost doubling of the population through immigration every generation to cover the immigrants reaching retirement ! Ludicrous idea. Migrants on temporary work visa, 100% agree, make them pay taxes and pay for your countries elderly, that way a reducing population would not be effected by immigration but benefit from work visas.

Doubling?

You made that up.

I liked when America was great before and embraced being a nation of immigrants.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

During the off-camera event, President Biden suggested that these countries, including Japan, would see economic improvements if they embraced immigration more fervently.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's not that simple.  Japan can automate and shrink their GDP all they want, but who's going to pay for the aging population?  What's declining is people of working age; the senior population is growing.  They need more workers to pay taxes to keep their social security system solvent. '

Of course it's not simple but this problem will not be unique to Japan in another generation.

Ever rising GDP's and high immigration numbers are both unsustainable in this world now.  

The Japanese will find a way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

There is no xenophobia here.

A xenophobic country would not allow tens of millions of tourists.  Universities here welcome foreign scholars. Also have thriving international exchange programmes. Ditto many high schools. Foreign products are welcome. Foreign culture is welcome. Japanese export THEIR products around the world. Also live around the world.

The fact that people don't want unfettered immigration does not equate to xenophobia.

The fact you wish to frame the issue in terms of your own personal views on immigration is not addressing xenophobia in Japan.

I could do a you say I say counter argument offering up my own anecdotal accounts from having lived  and  worked in Japan, I choose rather to go to the research:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/368363544_Racism_in_Japan_Critical_Analysis_on_Japan's_Xenophobia_and_Racial_Discrimination

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thailand is very nationalistic and does not allow mass immigration. 

Are you saying Thailand is not a great place to live? It is far better to live here, than in the West imo.

Did I say that?

Was life in Thailand even the topic of discussion?

• Confused 1