Kiwi Arrested for Illegal Use of Fireworks on Thai Beach

webfact

and causing noise pollution

they must have been really really noisy fireworks for the locals to get upset about the noise. good effort, give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bananafish said:

Whatever happened to the Kiwi's who wrestled the police officer to the ground? That story seemed didn't linger like the Swiss kicker story. 

think they're in custody, well hopefully.

14 hours ago, sungod said:

Been a few times. Last time I was there was over 15 years ago. There are some beautiful areas but found the place expensive (comparable to Bangkok) and the taxis have always been a rip off. Just found other areas of Thailand equally as scenic but without the hassle and cost.

Phuket was certainly a lovely island. The beaches are still some of the best compared to the ugly coast sand and water of Hua Hin area and Pattaya . The hills around and the views are scenic. So is the countryside for those that dare leave the towns and beaches .It is  the people who ruined Phuket. From the local authorities that don’t give a damn about the failed infrastructure, to the local mayors who just think about their pockets, and last but not least, the rif raf  that immigration  is welcoming onto the island. Crime is rife, the traffic and noise unbearable, and  now all the Russians buying up the island and pushing prices up through the roof.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Have they arrested the Firework seller yet for selling to someone without a license ? Is there a sign at the shop must have license to buy.

Whatever next they will be renting motorbikes to people without a driving license...............    ..... :wink:

Don't they do that already?

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Guests at your home and guests in a hotel are generally treated better than non-guests.

The "guest in their country" thing just doesn't work.

"You're a guest in Thailand, so you have to obey the rules while locals don't, because police will try to extort you" isn't the moral win you think it is.

That's what I said... you're in Thailand behave yourself and don't think you can do what the locals do and get away with it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Is it illegal to set off fireworks in Thailand, or is it just illegal to get caught? Or is it just a Phuket/farang thing?

We always have kids throwing bungers from their motorbikes or shooting off rockets. I'd always assumed you can buy fireworks everywhere and let them off to your hearts content.

". I'd always assumed you can buy fireworks everywhere and let them off to your hearts content."

YES, but only if you are Thai!🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

My my they certainly moved quickly on this.  What about the sellers of fireworks?  Remove the source then you automatically remove the problem. 

Yes, but, that would require forward thinking which isn't normal in this country.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's what I said... you're in Thailand behave yourself and don't think you can do what the locals do and get away with it.

Sure, but you also said guest. Being discriminated against/abused and being a guest don't really go together, which is why it's a faulty analogy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:38 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

I think it was only yesterday that it was reported that authorities were starting to clamp down on excessive noise and use of fireworks in Phuket. 

My my they certainly moved quickly on this.  What about the sellers of fireworks?  Remove the source then you automatically remove the problem. 

I've never been to Phuket,  seems like I'm not missing much. 

Two firework sellers were also arrested. (from the full articale in the Thaiger.)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

They must be havin a larf. Noise pollution in Thailand????   :smileylaughing: :smileylaughing:

Exactly, and Thais let fireworks off all time, Mr Brown and his lawyer Mr Envelope will win this case. 

On 5/3/2024 at 8:45 AM, freeworld said:

Why does a foreigner even need to be in possession of fireworks.

Is it another Thai only occupation to set off fireworks?

Asia isn't like western countries (Yeah state the blimmin obvious) 

In NZ and probably the UK,  the only time we're allowed firework is for Guy Fawkes celebration. 

New Year's eve may see official displays but no private fireworks can be bought. 

So when a westerner comes here and sees fireworks on sale, they naturally think ok!   And buy some.  They don't think you need a permit and authority to let them off. 

Unless there are large signs saying no fireworks then how are they suppose to know? 

Unfortunately this guy got caught when they are having a clamp down 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Asia isn't like western countries (Yeah state the blimmin obvious) 

In NZ and probably the UK,  the only time we're allowed firework is for Guy Fawkes celebration. 

New Year's eve may see official displays but no private fireworks can be bought. 

So when a westerner comes here and sees fireworks on sale, they naturally think ok!   And buy some.  They don't think you need a permit and authority to let them off. 

Unless there are large signs saying no fireworks then how are they suppose to know? 

Unfortunately this guy got caught when they are having a clamp down 

Fireworks policy in the European Union - Wikipedia

Fireworks - Wikipedia

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:08 AM, webfact said:

causing noise pollution

Hard to live in Thailand without noise pollution.

• Thumbs Up 1