Driving without valid driver's license in Thailand

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was it possible to renew a UK Driving License over Covid ??? (I've no idea)

Hello Richard Smith - UK license renewals are done online, there's no human interaction, i'm amazed you don't know this.

Nevermind Richard, every day is a school day.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

It's unfortunate that some on here are allowed to use a computer, I mean, who lets them.........😂

Do you have to get permission from your husband to use your computer?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Do you have to get permission from your husband to use your computer?

Please check before you post, its "wife", though I don't need permission from anyone, though I have a feeling you may have that problem, I mean, do they put the lights out at 7pm at your place...😂

On 5/3/2024 at 10:54 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand has a treaty with many countries for the mutual acceptance of driving licences as stated in the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

You can legally drive on your British license at least six months, it may be longer. If you’re still in the country after that time, you must have a Thai license.

However, don’t expect plod Somchai to know and you are likely to get fined although you are insured if you have insurance.

it is expired

On 5/4/2024 at 10:56 PM, vinny41 said:

Although the IDP is valid for 3 years 

..The IDP itself is valid for 12 months. However, the country you are visiting may demand a local licence if you stay more than a certain time. I believe it is 3 months in most countries, including Thailand.

I think if you stay on a non o extension you have to get a Thai license,I think you are right and IDP only allowed if on tourist or visa exempt 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, ian carman said:
On 5/4/2024 at 6:56 PM, vinny41 said:

Although the IDP is valid for 3 years 

..The IDP itself is valid for 12 months. However, the country you are visiting may demand a local licence if you stay more than a certain time. I believe it is 3 months in most countries, including Thailand.

I think if you stay on a non o extension you have to get a Thai license,I think you are right and IDP only allowed if on tourist or visa exempt 

That is also as I understand it, though I have been asked in the past to show 'documentation' or a 'link' which highlights this and I have been unable to source such information - the specific regulations remain rather vague or inaccessible. 

However, as I understand it: 

IF a foreigner is in Thailand on a Resident Visa (i.e. Non Immigrant Visa), they must get a Thai Driving License within 90 days.

This ties in with the general understanding that an IDP (accompanied by your national DL) is valid for 90 days from entry into Thailand..

The actual validity of the IDP: 1948 for 12 months and 1968 for 36 months - thats because they can also be used when travelling to 'another country' - but thats not the same as 'validity from first date of entry into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is also as I understand it, though I have been asked in the past to show 'documentation' or a 'link' which highlights this and I have been unable to source such information - the specific regulations remain rather vague or inaccessible. 

However, as I understand it: 

IF a foreigner is in Thailand on a Resident Visa (i.e. Non Immigrant Visa), they must get a Thai Driving License within 90 days.

This ties in with the general understanding that an IDP (accompanied by your national DL) is valid for 90 days from entry into Thailand..

The actual validity of the IDP: 1948 for 12 months and 1968 for 36 months - thats because they can also be used when travelling to 'another country' - but thats not the same as 'validity from first date of entry into Thailand.

When I said 3 years I was referring th its end date not the notion that you can drive in Thailand for 3 years.When I return next year it will obviously still be valid 

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The section of Thai law regarding the use of a foreign is Section 42 of the Motor Vehicle Act and has been posted on the forum multiple times.

Title 3 - Driver's license

Section 42. A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57.

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45. 

[The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis 46. In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

45 Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

46 Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:46 AM, gerryBScot said:

Hello everybody, it's been a wee while. The great news is we survived COVID and are heading to LOS for a family holiday in June. The bad news is my drivers licences have expired. I had both a British and a Thai license. I wonder what the position would be if I drive in Thaoland wthout a valid license? I recall reading a few years back something about the Mayor of Bangkok expressing surprise that as many as 60% of the bus drivers in BKK had driving licenses. Just wondering if it is an absolute no-no for me, Johnny Faraing, or if it is generally ok. I should add that I have had any endorsements, points, penalties or bans in either license or in the history of my driving 'career'. Currently resident in The Philippines and not sure there is adequate time for the powers that be here to issue a license. Many thanks.

What a silly question.

It's illegal and a crime in UK and Thailand.

Face the consequences. Ban from entering again even hopefully🙏

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 2:08 PM, gerryBScot said:

I am just really checking if it is an absolute no-no and of course

Just remember, farangs are easy targets for extracting $'s. That said a lot of Thai's don't have licenses and can palm the hands of the cops, couple of hundred baht here or there, but farangs, depends on the situation or how severe it can be,

Not wanting to go to the extreme, but lets say your driving along and some half wit drunk decides he wants to fall over in front of your car from the kerb, instant death, how much are you prepared to cough up without any insurance.

Renewing your drivers license shouldn't be too difficult, same for getting insurance.

It's all about risk, I avoid risk as much as possible, and if it comes my way, I am prepared to say, here is my valid license and here is my valid insurance, take it or leave it or see you in court, but no extraction of $'s from me, the insurance company can deal with that.

Good luck.

11 minutes ago, CecilM said:

No license = no Installation. THAT is what I would be worried about. 

What is getting installed ? Dashcam ?

I would have to recommend against driving without a Driver's License. One accident away from a world of trouble. Use Bolt, etc., not worth the chances here in a country among the top nations in the number of road deaths. Keep in mind ... someone else's fault and you don't have a license ... 

Why can't you do a driving test in the philippines? They should be able to give you one on the spot. 

Even if you decided to drive without a license here in Thailand, assuming you're renting a car, they wouldn't give you one.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:14 AM, PJ71 said:

But as with everything the consequence for not having one is negligible.

Until you are involved in an accident in which you are held to blame and your insurance rejects claims due to the insured not having a valid license.😋

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Until you are involved in an accident in which you are held to blame and your insurance rejects claims due to the insured not having a valid license.😋

Are you sure.

I've been involved in an accident ( obviously not my fault ) and my license ( which i had ) was never asked for....

• Agree 1

On 5/7/2024 at 9:36 AM, Smokin Joe said:

The section of Thai law regarding the use of a foreign is Section 42 of the Motor Vehicle Act and has been posted on the forum multiple times.

Title 3 - Driver's license

Section 42. A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57.

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45. 

[The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis 46. In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

45 Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

46 Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

Good info - I've argued this before (on this forum) that an IDP is not required to accompany a licence that is in English from a country with a Bilateral agreement with Thailand, additionally, obtaining a Thai Driving Licence with a National Licence from any of these countries with a Bilateral agreement the process is somewhat simpler (i.e. just some classroom tests & a video etc - as most of us do).

But, your link above refers to the Bilateral agreement - which is good information. But, it does not quite highlight the issue of driving under a foreign license when in Thailand on a 'resident visa' (for a maximum period of 90 days honeymoon period in which a Thai License should be secured)... I read such information in an offical document a few years back and have since been unable to 'relocate' that information.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good info - I've argued this before (on this forum) that an IDP is not required to accompany a licence that is in English from a country with a Bilateral agreement with Thailand, additionally, obtaining a Thai Driving Licence with a National Licence from any of these countries with a Bilateral agreement the process is somewhat simpler (i.e. just some classroom tests & a video etc - as most of us do).

But, your link above refers to the Bilateral agreement - which is good information. But, it does not quite highlight the issue of driving under a foreign license when in Thailand on a 'resident visa' (for a maximum period of 90 days honeymoon period in which a Thai License should be secured)... I read such information in an offical document a few years back and have since been unable to 'relocate' that information.

Nowhere in the treaties or Thai law does it say that a license in English does not need to be accompanied by an IDP.  IDP's are not mentioned by name anywhere in the Thai law and the relevant statement is a bit vague:  "...shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement"

The current Thai policy interprets that to mean that using a license based on the 1949 or 1968 treaties does require the IDP. However a a license issued by an ASEAN country does not require an IDP because the ASEAN Treaty does not have an IDP.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. What are you calling a "resident Visa"?

Visa exempt entry, Tourist Visa and all the different categories of Non-Immigrant visa's are for a temporary stay, Non-O, OA, B, ED etc. You could have a Thai wife, Thai kids and grandkids and stayed here 30 years without ever leaving doing annual one year extensions (aka Marriage Visa or Retirement Visa). Same if you have a work permit, you are still considered to be here temporarily.

Just look at the name of the form filled out to extend your "Marriage" or "Retirement" visa. TM7 APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM.

I have been a member of AN/TV since 2004 and the claims about No IDP being required if license is in English and the claim that an IDP can only be used for 90 days (or other period like 60 days or 180 days) have been made on the forum regularly and not once, ever, in 20 years, has anyone ever found a legitimate reference to back up those false claims.  It is not in Thai law and not in the 1949 or 1968 treaties.

Please don't bother posting a link to the old article on Trip Advisor by someone who made the claim about the 90 day validity. He got it wrong and the forum members who believe Trip Advisor takes precedence over Thai law are also wrong.

The Motor Vehicle Act Section 42 posted earlier is the ONLY relevant info in Thai law. You can't just make up stuff.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:46 AM, gerryBScot said:

Hello everybody, it's been a wee while. The great news is we survived COVID and are heading to LOS for a family holiday in June. The bad news is my drivers licences have expired. I had both a British and a Thai license. I wonder what the position would be if I drive in Thaoland wthout a valid license? I recall reading a few years back something about the Mayor of Bangkok expressing surprise that as many as 60% of the bus drivers in BKK had driving licenses. Just wondering if it is an absolute no-no for me, Johnny Faraing, or if it is generally ok. I should add that I have had any endorsements, points, penalties or bans in either license or in the history of my driving 'career'. Currently resident in The Philippines and not sure there is adequate time for the powers that be here to issue a license. Many thanks.

Why are you asking such a question? You know it is illegal to drive in any country without a valid driving license. Use your UK license updated if necessary and then get an IDP.

• Agree 1

I think I have already answered your sily question.

Get your UK license renewed before coming, you have time or don't drive here.

If something goes wrong you could be in for a whole lot of hurt

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

Nowhere in the treaties or Thai law does it say that a license in English does not need to be accompanied by an IDP.  IDP's are not mentioned by name anywhere in the Thai law and the relevant statement is a bit vague:  "...shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement"

The current Thai policy interprets that to mean that using a license based on the 1949 or 1968 treaties does require the IDP. However a a license issued by an ASEAN country does not require an IDP because the ASEAN Treaty does not have an IDP.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. What are you calling a "resident Visa"?

Visa exempt entry, Tourist Visa and all the different categories of Non-Immigrant visa's are for a temporary stay, Non-O, OA, B, ED etc. You could have a Thai wife, Thai kids and grandkids and stayed here 30 years without ever leaving doing annual one year extensions (aka Marriage Visa or Retirement Visa). Same if you have a work permit, you are still considered to be here temporarily.

Just look at the name of the form filled out to extend your "Marriage" or "Retirement" visa. TM7 APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM.

I have been a member of AN/TV since 2004 and the claims about No IDP being required if license is in English and the claim that an IDP can only be used for 90 days (or other period like 60 days or 180 days) have been made on the forum regularly and not once, ever, in 20 years, has anyone ever found a legitimate reference to back up those false claims.  It is not in Thai law and not in the 1949 or 1968 treaties.

Please don't bother posting a link to the old article on Trip Advisor by someone who made the claim about the 90 day validity. He got it wrong and the forum members who b

The Motor Vehicle Act Section 42 posted earlier is the ONLY relevant info in Thai law. You can't just make up stuff.

'Resident Visa'  = Non-Immigrant Visa or extension thereof.

I would advise anyone coming who intends to drive, to bring an IDP, regardless of my understanding of the regulations - as I pointed out earlier - I have in the past read an official document that mentions the 90 day / resident visa issue.

As you mentioned, discussions have been ongoing for years and it seems to be somewhat of a grey area which is easily overcome by getting an IDP for tourists.

And, if in the country any longer than 90 days, get a Thai DL...   All ambiguity is then removed. 

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I think I have already answered your sily question.

Get your UK license renewed before coming, you have time or don't drive here.

If something goes wrong you could be in for a whole lot of hurt

Is the Op in the UK or in Thailand already - I'm not sure if that has been made clear.