"Civil Rights Leaders Condemn Book Bans and Attacks on DEI, Rallying at Supreme Court"

image.png

Civil rights leaders convened in Washington, D.C., to denounce the surge in book bans and assaults on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives, warning that such measures pose a threat to education, democracy, and historical reckoning.

The Freedom to Learn rally saw activists march from the Library of Congress to the Supreme Court, where they voiced their concerns over recent developments, including the Supreme Court's decisions on affirmative action and Roe v. Wade.

Kimberlé Crenshaw, co-founder of the African American Policy Forum, lambasted the Supreme Court, accusing it of veering off course and engaging in erasure. She condemned the vilification of DEI efforts, equating it to a new form of censorship.

The rally shed light on the alarming trend of book bans across school districts nationwide, disproportionately targeting works by women, authors of color, and LGBTQ authors. Crenshaw, whose own work has been banned in schools, underscored the importance of education in fostering an inclusive future.

The pushback against DEI policies and book bans has intensified, with Republican governors leading efforts to restrict certain topics in classrooms. Advocates argue that these measures amount to historical whitewashing and erasure of marginalized voices.

Civil rights leaders drew parallels between current attacks on education and past struggles for racial equality, invoking the legacy of Ruby Bridges and the significance of landmark decisions like Brown v. Board of Education and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Opponents of DEI policies argue that they are divisive and make students uncomfortable, while defenders assert that such policies are crucial for promoting inclusivity and confronting systemic inequalities.

Judith Browne Dianis, executive director of the Advancement Project, condemned the rhetoric surrounding DEI policies, labeling it a guise for perpetuating white supremacy. She emphasized the interconnectedness of various forms of oppression, from bans on critical race theory to attacks on reproductive rights and voter suppression.

The rally underscored a growing sense of urgency among civil rights advocates to combat the erosion of educational freedoms and democratic principles. Despite facing formidable challenges, activists remain determined to uphold the values of equality, justice, and inclusion.

2024-05-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why, do you not know what meritocracy means? 

Meritocracy, here’s an example of it. I have a friend in the US, 35 year old female who believes her self and all white people are raciest. This isn’t an organic mind frame, it originated from influencers. She is under the oppression of the left, those who want total control by way of a steady slow encroachment of incremental oppression. There are those who want to be under the control of a government, and then there are those who are unwittingly being pulled in. And of course there are those who are watching it all unfold.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well yes I do.

Though novacova demonstrably does not:

When you attain the conceptual understanding of the definition, then take another read of the illustration.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Struggling to explain your statement?:

No, struggling to understand what it is that is not clear about it. 

You can select people based on merit, or on something else, not both. If you select them based on something else, the system is no longer meritocratic.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

DEI.  I thought that was Dumb Entitled Idiots.

You can get an education, work hard, and get ahead.  Or you can squander every opportunity, sit on your butt, and demand your "fair share" of OPM.

That's what they should call them.  The OPM movement.

Good to know that equal education is available to all, no matter which state or community they reside in … I seemed to miss that during my career as an educator. Oh, I am fine, not being able to live in my own country on my earned retirement. I compensated by retiring to a lower cost country.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Good to know that equal education is available to all, no matter which state or community they reside in … I seemed to miss that during my career as an educator. Oh, I am fine, not being able to live in my own country on my earned retirement. I compensated by retiring to a lower cost country.

It's been over 50 years since skin color made the difference in educational quality.  White kids, Hispanic kids and Asian kids have the same challenges in crappy inner city school systems.  (The families that value education move to better districts).  So why should black kids get DEI preferential treatment when their educational options were the same as inner city white kids, or Hispanic kids?

My grandparents came to the USA from Belarus and Russia with no money and speaking no English.  2 generations later, we're 60% millionaires at retirement.  The next generation is already 50% millionaires and nowhere near retirement yet.  3 of the 10 will be gazillionaires by retirement.   Because they valued education and chose to move to good districts.  With the advent of the interweb, the good districts are easy to find, and generally have better jobs to move to...

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, novacova said:

DEI is an assault on the minds of the malleable, naive and gullible 

Exactly! Which is why the Right opposes this 100% of the way - they're malleable (you can just redirect their anger and rage to the next target with this one being immediately forgotten), they're naive (they actually think that they're going to somehow turn the clock back to the 1950's by forcing people to only read books that would have been written during that era) and gullible (they think Donald Trump is a heroic Christian savior).

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JCauto said:

You will note that this research and report were undertaken and published by McKinsey, a noted communist organization dedicated to the advancement of colored and under-privileged people. That's sarcasm by the way, I know you Boomers sometimes don't look carefully before you start shouting at the computer. 

Good catch.  McKinsey also published this gem on Boeing...

https://www.mckinsey.com/capabilities/quantumblack/our-insights/data-as-jet-fuel-an-interview-with-boeings-cio

In the oilfield, we used to suffer through a McKinsey audit every 5 years or so.  Their recommendations always proposed treating talent as a fungible commodity, where a $70K cub engineer was as good as a $200K 30 year guy.  I've seen 30 year guys save the company 100x their salary in a day when they pointed out what happened 10 years ago when we last tried what that noob is proposing.

That's why Boeings seem to be falling apart and crashing.  Fungible talent.  Another DEI feature.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

That explains a lot. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Modern civilization is based merit and should only excel and build upon that foundation, but the DEI gimmick really isn’t mediocracy, it’s digressiveocracy, driving civilization in reverse. Large corporations and politicians have succumbed to the Dumb Entitled Idiots gimmick. Plain stupid. Hopefully I’ll be dead and gone by the time the digressive halfwits are in full swing on flying and repairing airliners and using scalpels on innocent patients. 

Modern western civilization. 

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

https://www.mckinsey.com/capabilities/quantumblack/our-insights/data-as-jet-fuel-an-interview-with-boeings-cio

In the oilfield, we used to suffer through a McKinsey audit every 5 years or so.  Their recommendations always proposed treating talent as a fungible commodity, where a $70K cub engineer was as good as a $200K 30 year guy.  I've seen 30 year guys save the company 100x their salary in a day when they pointed out what happened 10 years ago when we last tried what that noob is proposing.

That's why Boeings seem to be falling apart and crashing.  Fungible talent.  Another DEI feature.

Sorry, I'm just catching up to the latest campaign being waged by the Right - I now see that it was apparently DEI that caused planes to fall apart at Boeing. I'm sure that this national campaign that seems to include every Right-Wing talking head from Tovarich Tucker Carlson to Diaper Don hisownself isn't just the latest disinformation blitz that is aiming for the 2024 election and being magnified on every media platform. I'm sure you just had a strong interest in aircraft safety and corporate performance. LOL. You guys are too easy. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

I am still searching for "fungible talent and DEI" but can't seem to find a single article that supports this as being a feature of the DEI initiatives. It would instead seem that the idea was to diversify the talent within the organizations and keep that diversification afterwards, otherwise why would they bother with it? So I'm sure you're going to provide us with that reference, after all, you wouldn't be disingenuous and pretending to be debating but actually be acting in bad faith?

I mean, if you were doing that, you'd do things like put a reference into your post but not enable it to be linked to so people wouldn't read it. However, of course, you could just say "I forgot", and then "why didn't you just copy it and paste it into a new Browser Tab?" So I did.

Guess which words do not appear within that article? If you guessed "Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, DEI" then you're a winner! None of those words or the acronym made it in. The reason? They weren't relevant, it was an article discussing data analytics and platforms at Boeing so that they could improve their efficiency and avoid duplication and disconnects. So you put a fake link into your response because it was by the same company pretending that it was McKinsey saying something about Boeing that presumably pointed to their issues with DEI, but in fact it had nothing whatsoever to do with DEI. Then you added an anecdote from your work and implied that this "fungible talent" idea is somehow both connected to DEI and McKinsey.

It's basically a fake response with no meaning that avoids actually addressing the crux of the matter (that one of the world's leading business consultants has studied this specific issue of DEI and that it equates to far better financial performance by the companies that practice it) and instead constructs a fake response that purports to show the same people saying something different when in fact they did no such thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1