Tourist Visa to USA for Thai GF

Posted (edited)

I am in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend. Has anyone recently gone through the process of obtaining a tourist visa to the USA for a Thai girlfriend?  Thoughts on the likelihood of obtaining one?  Thanks. 

Edited by trav2021

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

We hired a visa agent to help my female friend to get a US visa.  They suggested she not even mention knowing me. 

She got a 10 year visa.  She did have a good job, and had graduated college in Australia.  But no assets in her name and not a big bank account.

To the OP, run it up the flagpole.  $185 isn't prohibitive, and you're not on the hook if things don't work the way you envision.  But (especially if she's a new GF), be ready for the possibility she's been denied before...  There are serial visa seekers in many countries, including Thailand.

A good job and a Western education with good English language ability are big plusses. Not mentioning a boyfriend was good advice.

My girlfriend (now wife ) obtained a tourist visa to the US back in the 1990s. In support of her application I submitted documents proving my employment with a US multinational and long-term presence here. I also provided a letter stating that I would ensure her return to Thailand. She received a visa good for one entry back then. She now has the ten-year tourist visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, trav2021 said:

I am in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend. Has anyone recently gone through the process of obtaining a tourist visa to the USA for a Thai girlfriend?  Thoughts on the likelihood of obtaining one?  Thanks. 

It is hit and miss with the US, but the first time applying - even with a good (even good government) job who is unmarried... has a good likelihood of rejection.  It all depends on the who is involved in the decision at the Embassy.  (i.e. don't get your or her hopes up) Also having a US boyfriend - who is not providing the US government with a support guarantee if she did not leave - is not necessarily a plus...

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, marin said:

$185.00USD is the fee for the visa. There is no deposit, if you meet the criteria a visa is issued, if not the fee is gone. 

Yes, it is not a visa fee so much as a visa application fee. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anchor,  what will bring her back.

Does she have good paying job at length, own property, large imcome in bank, has she previously obtained a passport and travel outside of Thailand.

The changes are very slim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My Thai  step daughter is 27,has a Thai Government job, owns a house, owns a car ! You’re probably thinking who cares.

She just wanted to join my wife and I to visit my kids in the States for three weeks!

I filled out the DS 160 for my wife and her ,we had to wait almost 1 year for a appointment at the Bangkok US embassy.

My wife was given a b1/b2 visa while my step daughter was denied!

reason : risk of over staying.

Important to note, my wife’s sister has a green card and lives in Wisconsin .

Imop they refused my stepdaughter because officials fear the relative in Wisconsin could file a petition for her to immigrate .

Good luck

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, marin said:

$185.00USD is the fee for the visa. There is no deposit, if you meet the criteria a visa is issued, if not the fee is gone. 

thanks for the update--when i last knew someone who applied it was only 100 dollars but that was many years ago.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Bring her in via the Northern Border. She can clain asylum at a port of entry. Or even better, claim some dude was trying to traffic her into the USA.

Then meet her in her apartment paid for by us.

Get off Qanon ffs 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Our Thai niece was able to get a visa to the US, but not until the third try even though she met all of the criteria. No reason for denial was given, they just told her to pick up a form from a box on the way out of the door, the form listed all of the reasons visas are denied for, not detailing any particular one. On the second attempt the interviewer said she was denied, then told her,"come back in one year and we will give you a visa", that's exactly what happened.

Edited by Lee4Life

On 5/4/2024 at 6:54 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so a needle in a haystack basically..:)

I've been with my Thai lady for nearly 6 years and have deeply researched this whole topic of getting her a tourist Visa.

Basically it's next to impossible for most people. At best it's an arduous and expensive proposition.

Luckily she has seen enough about America on TV that she says she doesn't really care about going there.

I guess I don't either because I'm back in the USA right now. Selling my house and divesting most of the assets I have here.

After being here for close  to 2 months I doubt I will ever return

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Same stories as above. I tried to get my wife a tourist visa twice, but failed. I know a woman in her 50s who owned a company with 10 employees that failed. Then again I know a 20-something, that got a 10-year visa. (although on her second visit, it was taken away from her and told she would have to apply again next time.)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all for your comments.  

Is there a way I can accept responsibility for her and guarantee she will return to Thailand?  Something analogous to paying bail to insure she returns or I lose money?  Anything like that?

Edited by trav2021

2 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

Is there a way I can accept responsibility for her and guarantee she will return to Thailand?  Something analogous to paying bail to insure she returns or I lose money?  Anything like that?

No. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, trav2021 said:

Nope, you just make things worse.  It's much more likely she will get the visa if she didn't know you or doesn't mention you.

• Like 1

I have a Thai girlfriend who was told by a Visa agent that she could get a tourist Visa to the USA. I'm skeptical, but I'd be happy to guarantee that she will return.  

• Confused 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:02 AM, JohnOFphon said:

Just fly to Mexico, or a nearby country that will allow her in and then find a way to the Rio Grand and wade across the river. No one will stop her.

When ready to leave, retrace your steps and fly back.

Wish I were joking..

wish upon a star    

"The U.S. Border Patrol reported more than 1.6 million encounters with migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border in the 2021 fiscal year, more than quadruple the number of the prior fiscal year and the highest annual total on record.

The number of encounters had fallen to just over 400,000 in fiscal 2020 as the coronavirus outbreak slowed migration across much of the world. But encounters at the southwest border rebounded sharply in fiscal 2021 and ultimately eclipsed the previous annual high recorded in fiscal 2000, according to recently published data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the federal agency that encompasses the Border Patrol.

Migrant encounters refer to two distinct kinds of events: expulsions, in which migrants are immediately expelled to their home country or last country of transit, and apprehensions, in which migrants are detained in the United States, at least temporarily."   Pew Research Center

9 hours ago, Mike_Hunt said:

I have a Thai girlfriend who was told by a Visa agent that she could get a tourist Visa to the USA. I'm skeptical, but I'd be happy to guarantee that she will return.  

nice name