Caballo white spirit

Posted (edited)

At the risk of seeming to be a cheapskate alcoholic, I would like to recommend Caballo. It's a 40% ABV spirit and only 199THB for a 750cl bottle.

The only place I've found it so far is in Lotuss's Surin. But I expect it's available elsewhere.

I'm pretty certain that when I first saw it, a couple of years ago, the label described it as a 'distilled banana spirit'. However, that description does not appear on the label of the bottle I bought most recently.

IMO this spirit is quite pleasant to be sipped neat, and can make a nice long drink with coke or orange juice and ice.

image.jpeg.466e852926615c6331f484a69b334cc4.jpeg

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

Does it taste similar to anything you know of? 

the ratio of alcohol content to price is generally the best way to determine the attractiveness of a given spirit….

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Does it taste similar to anything you know of? 

the ratio of alcohol content to price is generally the best way to determine the attractiveness of a given spirit….

I can't say that it tastes similar to any other spirits that I might imbibe. I'd admit that I tasted a pleasant hint of banana - but that could be some sort of 'auto suggestion' from reading the label.

In any case 199THB for 750ml of 40%ABV seems pretty good value - and it definitely does not taste like paint stripper, like some of the other Thai spirits - IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

At the risk of seeming to be a cheapskate alcoholic, I would like to recommend Caballo. It's a 40% ABV spirit and only 199THB for a 750cl bottle.

The only place I've found it so far is in Lotuss's Surin. But I expect it's available elsewhere.

I'm pretty certain that when I first saw it, a couple of years ago, the label described it as a 'distilled banana spirit'. However, that description does not appear on the label of the bottle I bought most recently.

IMO this spirit is quite pleasant to be sipped neat, and can make a long drink with coke or orange juice.

image.jpeg.466e852926615c6331f484a69b334cc4.jpeg

Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, if it tastes good why not. I will give it a try should I come across it, is the taste neutral or does it have a particular flavour. 

9 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, if it tastes good why not. I will give it a try should I come across it, is the taste neutral or does it have a particular flavour. 

I am by no means an aficionado of spirits. However, I would say that it is not a neutral flavour - more of a hint of fruit - banana.

I have a bottle in the freezer, so I'll just pour a drop (neat) and remind myself of the taste.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wife bought a bottle and her and her friends could hardly drink it without adding either loads of coke or fresh oj.

I think it's a type of vodka as far as I remember looking it up.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, alanrchase said:

I prefer the taste of black cock

black-cock-thai-whiskey-900x900.jpg

I tried this and at first thought...oh yes..pleasant taste with a texture like liqueur but after a while I found it a bit sickly and gave it up. 

The Lao Khao most foreigners know is in a dark brown bottle with blue label and pull top. This is the one that tastes like turps. The newer ones with a screw top ( several brands ) in a green bottle have almost no taste and can be mixed with anything. Getting older I find 40 degrees a bit much so luckily there is a 30 degree version. Still gets you there without wrecking you. This is my current tipple which I mix with tomato juice and Worcester sauce to make a decent bloody mary. Only 60 baht a small bottle of an evening.

I might get around to trying the Caballo but sounds like better sipped on the rocks without any mix and you are probably paying more just for the frosted bottle.

I was in my local Lotus in Sattahip and whilst browsing the alcohol shelves and noticed the bottles of Caballo and decided to buy a bottle. Haven't tried it yet but did unscrew the top and have a whiff, the smell was very pleasant, I think it would be a shame to mix it with the likes of Coke or Orange, so shall try it on the rocks later, hic. 🍾

3 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I was in my local Lotus in Sattahip and whilst browsing the alcohol shelves and noticed the bottles of Caballo and decided to buy a bottle. Haven't tried it yet but did unscrew the top and have a whiff, the smell was very pleasant, I think it would be a shame to mix it with the likes of Coke or Orange, so shall try it on the rocks later, hic. 🍾

Sattahip is also my local Lotuss, although I haven't shopped there for years - since I have to drive past Big C and Makro to get there. I'm in Surin just now but it's good to know where I can find Caballo when I get home.

IMO it's a nice sip over ice, but I favour a long drink with orange juice.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Sattahip is also my local Lotuss, although I haven't shopped there for years - since I have to drive past Big C and Makro to get there. I'm in Surin just now but it's good to know where I can find Caballo when I get home.

IMO it's a nice sip over ice, but I favour a long drink with orange juice.

Its not the Lotus in Sattahip, but the Lotus just outside Sattahip on the way to Bangchan, although there's more than a good chance it will also be available in the Lotus in Sattahip. Cheers.

Edit. Apparently the Lotus is called 'Lotus U Tapao' just off Sukhumvit on the 331.

Edited by Wobblybob
More info
  • Thanks 1