Driver Ignores Red Light Resulting in Serious Accident and Several Injuries in Pattaya

S__247341064_new-1024x577.jpg

A 52-year-old man from Thailand allegedly ran a red light, crashing his sedan into a motorcycle in South Pattaya in the early hours of May 8th. This accident resulted in heavy injuries for the motorcyclist.

Just before 3:00 AM, the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation was alerted about a traffic collision on Sukhumvit Road in South Pattaya. A bronze-gray Mitsubishi Pajero and a gray Honda CBR 1000cc motorcycle were involved in the collision.

Emergency responders arrived on the scene to find a heavily damaged Mitsubishi Pajero with one of its wheels detached. They discovered three passengers in the car: two boys, ages 10 and 14, with head injuries, and an 8-year-old girl with various cuts and a glass wound on her wrist. The driver, Mr. Sathit Sinuansakulnee, was found to be uninjured.

Near the wrecked car, responders discovered a badly damaged gray Honda CBR 1000cc motorcycle. The driver, Mr. Wiran Suksaow, 23, was found unconscious in the middle of the road. He had sustained major injuries and was bleeding heavily. He was immediately transported to the closest hospital.

An eyewitness, 29-year-old Mr. Mongkol Khamprasong, claimed that the Pajero had been waiting at a red light next to him when the driver blatantly ignored the signal and turned onto Sukhumvit Road, directly into the path of the motorcycle. Mr. Mongkol said the motorcyclist had tried to avoid the collision but failed to do so in time.

Mr. Sathit, the Pajero's driver, did not give any statement to the press at the crash site.

The Pattaya police are now checking CCTV footage from the surrounding area to validate Mr. Mongkol's account of the accident and identify any potential charges.

Photo courtesy of The Pattaya News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Same same every day.

Traffic pulling out against a red light making a left turn is very common at many Sukhumvit junctions. The tourist coaches are a major offender. The North Rd junction is a good example.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

An eyewitness, 29-year-old Mr. Mongkol Khamprasong, claimed that the Pajero had been waiting at a red light next to him when the driver blatantly ignored the signal and turned onto Sukhumvit Road, directly into the path of the motorcycle. Mr. Mongkol said the motorcyclist had tried to avoid the collision but failed to do so in time.

A-hole.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I thought turning left at a red light was legal, provided the road is clear and there is no sign saying wait.

My understanding is that a left turn on red is only allowed if there is a sign allowing it. So, in the absence of a sign one must stop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My understanding is that a left turn on red is only allowed if there is a sign allowing it. So, in the absence of a sign one must stop.

Where I live, I have never seen a sign regarding the left turn, but everyone does turn left on a red..😋

• Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:26 PM, snoop1130 said:

the motorcyclist had tried to avoid the collision but failed to do so in time

He failed to do so full stop.  He didn't avoid the collision after it happened.

Which is why in Thailand you never go around with no helmet and try to look like a thai on a bike and avoid driving even a car yourself. Use public transport or Grab. One is always amazed in seeing all those foreigners in Pattaya, Phuket, Chang Mai,  Hua Hin and on the many Koh's... driving on 2-whellers all over with no helmet, just flip flops and no gloves, and trying to get the local-look.

47 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My understanding is the complete opposite, turn left on red if it is clear to do so  ie: give way to traffic comming from the right....unless there is a sign saying

"turn left waiting light"  or some such other interpretation of the English language...of course it make sense in Thai  but these signs are often very small and difficult to spot and often there will be a policeman hiding around the corner to nab offenders who didn't see or obey the sign.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No. Other way round.

There are signs explicitly forbidding left turn on red light.

AND: of course you still have to stop and make sure there is no traffic.

99% ignored by Thai motorcyclist. Can turn always, anytime without even turning your head.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

unless there is a sign saying

"turn left waiting light"  or some such other interpretation of the English language

It was a perfect money maker for years in Pattaya 2nd rd left to Central (down to beach).

Left turn on red was forbidden, sign in Thai language only. When cops were in the mood they could milk the tourists on scooter with no effort.

Some kill joy has then installed a sign in English as you describe.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. Other way round.

You seem very certain.

I can't see anything in the Land Traffic Act, except that one must stop at a red light. I have seen signs forbidding left turns, but I have also seen signs permitting left turn (which would suggest that permission is required).

Do you have a link to the traffic law, or regulation?

Not challenging you, just looking for clarification.

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:
13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. Other way round.

You seem very certain.

I can't see anything in the Land Traffic Act, except that one must stop at a red light. I have seen signs forbidding left turns, but I have also seen signs permitting left turn (which would suggest that permission is required).

Do you have a link to the traffic law, or regulation?

Not challenging you, just looking for clarification.

I think like much of Thailand, there is a lack of consistency which causes confusion, accidents and of course, much debate on this forum.

As I understand it, this rule is applied 'provincially' according to different standards. 

i.e. If I'm not mistaken... 

In area's such as Bangkok - A Left turn on at a red light is permissible unless there is a sign which states its not.

In Pattaya - A Left turn on at a red light is not permissible unless there is a sign which states it is.

This may also vary in other provinces.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It was a perfect money maker for years in Pattaya 2nd rd left to Central (down to beach).

Yes there is another one at the South Pattaya 3rd road Tony's Gym intersection.

I like the turn left at red light idea  it tends to speed up the traffic flow and works quite well.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

In Pattaya - A Left turn on at a red light is not permissible unless there is a sign which states it is.

In Pattaya  I have seen signs saying  wait for the light if turning left

and signs saying  "turn left always"

Unless there is a sign saying wait for the light  I always

(with caution and some small apprehension that the plod are round the corner)  turn left at a red light...In Pattaya...Bangkok I haven't dared drive there since my long haired dictionary  got us lost on the elevated highways for many hours until we had run out of cash for the bloody toll booths...luckily eventually a kindly 10 wheeler driver said follow me (if you want to live)  and we escaped from the spaghetti maze.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Henryford said:

I thought turning left at a red light was legal, provided the road is clear and there is no sign saying wait.

You are probably right.... but as an occasional motorcycle rider, keeping left, the rule seems to be bigger vehicles can turn when it is not clear. 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:26 PM, snoop1130 said:

They discovered three passengers in the car: two boys, ages 10 and 14, with head injuries, and an 8-year-old girl with various cuts and a glass wound on her wrist.

At 3am ??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Henryford said:

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

My understanding is turning left is legal, unless there is a red left arrow, or a sign saying you CAN"T.