Are humans now more or less advanced?

I go every day eat lunch and enjoy a cup of coffee at some mall.

Today, while eating lunch at Central Plaza's food park, a woman and her daughter came to sit at the table next to me.
We greeted each other and had a little chat.
The daughter was 4 years old.
While spoon feeding the daughter, the child was playing on a cell phone.

Her little hands holding the phone while her little tumbs were pushing the screen at random places with precision.

I tried to imagine when I was 4 years old and somebody would give me a cell phone if I would know what I had to do with it.
No manual.
No instructions.
No buttons or switches.

Are children in this century more advanced as the children from 60 years ago?
Without doubt more tech savy.

Already a fact that something like 1 in 5 have speaking on the phone anxiety and so avoid, people getting more introverted with their poor communication skills, on the plus side better at gaming....and tech things

"Smart Phones" = dumber, programed people.... Starting at preschool levels....

Loss of interpersonal skills, social skills, ingenuity, problem solving, attention spans, actual research abilities, compassion, reality, job skills, responsibilities......

Not good....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Loss of interpersonal skills, social skills, ingenuity, problem solving, attention spans, actual research abilities, compassion, reality, job skills, responsibilities......

Not good....

The little girl knew exactly on which "buttons" on the screen to click -> problem solving, ingenuity,
The little girl was glued to the cell phone screen -> attention span,

Maybe not the kind of skills which were needed to actually be compared to a mature person, but certainly more advanced at her age as I was when I was 4 years old.
Agreed, I had other skills, more social oriented as this little girl.

I remember my own daughter, when she was 8 years old, she asked me to download a program on her computer to do her "Speedpaint".
The program (Japanese) was very similair to Adobe Photoshop, but more oriented to "Speedpaint".
I downloaded it from a Torrent site, checked it for viruses, and installed it on her computer.
Later that day, when she started her computer, she started to make a "Speedpaint" movie without reading a single manual.

More technology, less humanity.

Lucky they actually talked to you. I was at a cafe recently when a family of 4, I would suggest mum and grandma and 2 kids around teenage years. All 4, including the older lady all on their mobiles and not talking to each other let alone any stranger. The son actually paying with 2 phones. 

• Agree 1

Humans are like a cancer on the Earth. We are consumed by our own hubris and believe we are the most important thing in the universe and everything else can be used and destroyed as we please to satisfy our desires. Until we learn to live both socially and environmentally compatible lives on the Earth, we have no business trying to go to other planets. If we do, that should not be called "colonizing"; it should be called "metasicizing." :sad:

15 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Today, while eating lunch at Central Plaza's food park, a woman and her daughter came to sit at the table next to me.

Her little hands holding the phone while her little tumbs were pushing the screen at random places with precision.

I tried to imagine when I was 4 years old and somebody would give me a cell phone if I would know what I had to do with it.
No manual.
No instructions.
No buttons or switches.

You grow up and use technique and technology what is on the market at that time.

So in 60 years from now we'll meet new technologies and kids then will use it.🙏

• Agree 1

Depends on your idea of "advanced", I'd say less advanced; can't tie their own shoelaces, can't replace a lightbulb, can't change a tire, can't take criticism, etc. I've seen so many examples of things people can't do now days that were common years ago. Seems like social media "likes and follows" are more important than real life things. And people remember less because their "smart devices" do it for them. When I was a teen I remembered around 10-15 phone numbers, now I'm down to 2-3, my phone has all of them on it. IMO we're getting dumber as a race and devices are getting smarter.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Not good....

and hjave to be spoon fed like the OP's "girl"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

and hjave to be spoon fed like the OP's "girl"

The "girl" was too busy with playing on the phone and fixed to the screen.
She didn't even turn her head each time the spoon was brought to her mouth.

War in Ukraine, war in Gaza, war in Yemen...how many wars in Africa?

America with an 800 Billion defense budget while people are homeless.

You tell me.

• Love It 1

38 minutes ago, LALes said:

War in Ukraine, war in Gaza, war in Yemen...how many wars in Africa?

America with an 800 Billion defense budget while people are homeless.

You tell me.

Wars have always existed.

The lack of information such as internet was not existing and we were not so informed as now, but there have been worldwide wars in the past.

And the problem of the homeless people is not new or reduced to only america.

Homeless people problem exists also in Europe.

Although, having homeless people and homeless war veterans while offering 5 star hotel rooms to illegal immigrants is a sign of the times we are living in.

Would this have been possible 60 years ago?

I don't think so...

1 hour ago, LALes said:

So, we are regressing.

Like another poster said, humans are becoming more tech-savy and more technology advanced but are more dumber on survival skills and communication skills.

In some way, humans are becoming robots.

On 5/8/2024 at 4:28 PM, Confuscious said:

No manual.
No instructions.
No buttons or switches.

Its the 12 monkey syndrome, its real and you can believe it.

• Sad 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:28 PM, Confuscious said:

No manual.
No instructions.
No buttons or switches.

She now has an eating disorder and will be at the bottom of her classes for the next 15 years.

Humans are more efficient at killing each other.  Human nature hasn't changed, is a best guess.  Humans are habitually slaves to their desires [including myself] So choosing the 'desire' is paramount in self-control. 

Since the science of mathematics has definitely disproven Darwin's theory, and the science of mathematical probabilities has proven a 'mind' behind the universe, maybe humans will self-examine again soon?

• Confused 1