Why is Thai service so abysmal

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe I should have asked why AN has so many people making abysmal comments.

Why??? Abysmal posts!!!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Because you get what you pay for and there is no such thing as a free lunch.

What would the meals have cost in a more affulent country in a similar establishment?

Did you "save money" dining in Bangkok and somehow get over on something by paying less? No, you got what you paid for.

Corners and quality of goods and services were cut somewhere, whether you realize it or not. Sometimes you just don't see it, other times it becomes obvious.

What you pay is relative isn't it? Since when did paying what is a normal price in Thailand mean the service is entitled to be poor as it was cheaper than in your home country. Very strange logic.

20 minutes ago, hwas said:

You “thought about visiting”, called the bar with a hypothetical question and noone bothered to answer you, so you concluded that they are ignorant or arrogant.  How about the option that they do not have the time to answer nonsensical questions?  

I suppose you didn't get as far as this which I wrote:
I'm certain I am not the only one who could be embarrassed, and it could be especially damaging if someone was hosting business colleagues.

A problem with a credit card can happen at any time, often because there is an IT/communication error in the system somewhere. I for one have read or seen this numerous times. And then what happens? But you, as you can't see further than your nose and anticipate potential problems, call me out for being ignorant. Take a look in the mirror instead. The ignorant one is you, and not receiving an answer to a legitimate question is arrogance by the management. Or indifference. Thinking ahead and anticipating problems isn't the Thai way. Nor yours, it seems.

Tell me. what would you do if you were in a no cash establishment and, for whatever reason, your card was refused? Hmm? Please let me know, as I'm curious.

I'd guess the place in question hadn't thought things through either, just like you. I also mentioned to the person I spoke with that their email contact system didn't work, and their website shows the wrong opening time. None of this is what I would expect in a high-end bar/restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sometimes, that may be because they're being paid a marginal wage and working for supervisors who treat them like dirt.

Other times, I get the feeling that many Thais just aren't as invested in their jobs and careers as some Westerners are. For those folks, it's just a thing to do in order to get by and pay the bills.

I agree what you describe is a normal practice in Thailand, but if this rich population that controls the country does this disservice and because having workers employed who pay just enough to survive certainly doesn't incite them to have a improves devotion to their work not knowing if they will live to see the end of the month.

It is a clear short-sightedness that backfires against this class of rich people, degrading the whole of Thailand in global competition.

31 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Why??? Abysmal posts!!!

As I've written above, tell me. what would you do if you were in a no cash establishment and, for whatever reason, your card was refused? Hmm? Please let me know, as I'm curious. Clearly, the management had no answer. Perhaps you do. Tell us, please.

• Thanks 1

If I get good service, I am a repeat customer. Bad service, I never go back.

In Australia, cash is a rarity. It is mostly cards now.

Here, if a business would not accept my cash, I am not going to be one of their customers.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can you explain how a manager doesn't call me as promised, why I get served ice-cold chicken, why the same meal ordered at the same time is delivered 20 minutes apart is my fault? Must be you've been lucky. Most times the service is fine, but I'm asking about the times it is not

Call you? That’s hilarious. 

I tip when I get good service and don’t when I don’t. Why not try that?

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sometimes, that may be because they're being paid a marginal wage and working for supervisors who treat them like dirt.

Other times, I get the feeling that many Thais just aren't as invested in their jobs and careers as some Westerners are. For those folks, it's just a thing to do in order to get by and pay the bills.

Sure, there could be many reasons for the poor quality of service but as a consumer you don't really care about that.

At the end of the day in a lot of places you're paying for a service you're not getting.

As someone mentioned this happens at premium places as well.

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

And by no means confined to Thailand, either, contrary to what the Thai-bashing brigade on here would like us to believe.

Correct but much more prevalent than most countries.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Have you ordered hundreds of meals at most countries? 

Yip, hundreds of meals in probably 50-70 countries which is quite a broad spectrum.

Have you?

Edited by PJ71

Customers should be the centre of all your business thinking. In Thailand it is not, businesses are opened before construction is finished; staff are rarely, if ever, trained; half the stuff advertised or on the menu is unavailable; etc etc.

In my whole life prior to coming to Thailand I ate out in top flight restaurants, and I don't mind paying top dollar for great service.  I honestly see no point in going out to any restaurants here in Thailand any more with the exception of a handful. And the problem with the handful is that when you revisit one of the them, their service has become awful as well. 

We have a decent restaurant near us which charges very high prices, and they bring your main course before the starters and the dessert before the main course.....bizarre. We still visit, but I insist on only ordering starters, then when we have eaten them order the main course. There are rules about fine dining and one is that the waitresses should allow 7 minutes between courses, not heap plates all over your table. Owning a decent restaurant is not rocket science. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

We're finally getting comments that acknowledge the reality of Thai service, instead of bashing the person who mentions its shortcomings. There are far too many people on this site who have been here too long and now regard mediocrity as acceptable. It is not.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I suppose you didn't get as far as this which I wrote:
I'm certain I am not the only one who could be embarrassed, and it could be especially damaging if someone was hosting business colleagues.

A problem with a credit card can happen at any time, often because there is an IT/communication error in the system somewhere. I for one have read or seen this numerous times. And then what happens? But you, as you can't see further than your nose and anticipate potential problems, call me out for being ignorant. Take a look in the mirror instead. The ignorant one is you, and not receiving an answer to a legitimate question is arrogance by the management. Or indifference. Thinking ahead and anticipating problems isn't the Thai way. Nor yours, it seems.

Tell me. what would you do if you were in a no cash establishment and, for whatever reason, your card was refused? Hmm? Please let me know, as I'm curious.

I'd guess the place in question hadn't thought things through either, just like you. I also mentioned to the person I spoke with that their email contact system didn't work, and their website shows the wrong opening time. None of this is what I would expect in a high-end bar/restaurant.

First of all, if your card does not work, the fault is on you, not the restaurant. If you are so concerned, why not try the card somewhere else. Anyone with a gram of common sense would know that the restaurant policy is not cast in stone and as one alternative they would change their policy to accept cash.  Get over yourself

• Agree 1

im a 5 star dude but i can confirm theres no 5 star in thailand, only priced as 5 star but the qualuity & service is 1-2 stars.

Welcum to thailand! 

so for meself, i dont waste my energy & money and those 5 stars places in LAND OF SMILES. (even at the gents club my dudes,i do it muself if u know what i mean(

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, mogandave said:

Compared to what? I about 150 of them that were worse than Thailand. 

Which ones?

I'll try to avoid them.

24 minutes ago, retarius said:

Customers should be the centre of all your business thinking. In Thailand it is not, businesses are opened before construction is finished; staff are rarely, if ever, trained; half the stuff advertised or on the menu is unavailable; etc etc.

In my whole life prior to coming to Thailand I ate out in top flight restaurants, and I don't mind paying top dollar for great service.  I honestly see no point in going out to any restaurants here in Thailand any more with the exception of a handful. And the problem with the handful is that when you revisit one of the them, their service has become awful as well. 

We have a decent restaurant near us which charges very high prices, and they bring your main course before the starters and the dessert before the main course.....bizarre. We still visit, but I insist on only ordering starters, then when we have eaten them order the main course. There are rules about fine dining and one is that the waitresses should allow 7 minutes between courses, not heap plates all over your table. Owning a decent restaurant is not rocket science. 

There is a restaurant in Chiang Mai called Le Coq D'Or. I have only experienced impeccable service and food there. It's well upmarket, about the same prices as a mid-range restaurant in Melbourne. I have gone there for over ten years, special occasions.

IME restaurants are only as good as their managers. The worst service I have ever experienced was in the Yarra Valley and New Zealand, and on both occasions it was the managers.

Posted (edited)

It's true.  The cashier at Seven Eleven (a moody ladyboy) dragged herself to the counter and smashed her hands on it.  After taking the money she dropped the 4 baht one by one from a high height into my hands as if to say 'you have disease I don't want to touch you'.  I litterly had to get a blood test, an xray and a urine sample for the school I work at.  No diseases here.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Sad 1

I'd say I've seen professionalism and enthusiasm more in Australia from retail workers - looking at the minimum wage they're paying it's understandable 

restaurants- in Thailand if it's not big chain owned and the owners are hands on in training and on-site the service is usually good, if they have incentives for the waiter to sell wines and such they learn to become knowledgeable 

19 minutes ago, hwas said:

Anyone with a gram of common sense would know that the restaurant policy is not cast in stone and as one alternative they would change their policy to accept cash

I do not assume such things which is why I asked for clarification. They didn't respond, which is not the kind of service I expect from a high-end establishment.

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So I was curious what would happen if a foreign credit card (mine) was refused

Obviously, in that specific circumstance they would accept another payment method.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I litterly had to get a blood test, an xray and a urine sample for the school I work at. No diseases here.

"I litterly had to..."

Unbelievable!   You're a teacher, "litterly" [sic]?  Perhaps semi-literacy is a disease?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks for your sarcastic and idiotic reply. Is that the best you can do? Maybe I should have asked why AN has so many people making abysmal comments.

youve been here long enough to know what this site has become since TVisa died.....    so the place should change policy to appease you...maybe is a way to keep farang out as thais i see all pay with phone ...and im the guy paying cash.....kinda like how clubs back home would instill dress codes to keep certain elements out........take the hint..find another place or abide

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I do not assume such things which is why I asked for clarification. They didn't respond, which is not the kind of service I expect from a high-end establishment.

is why i dont go to hiso snobby joints....i perfectly content eating street food and drinking my sangsom outside

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Still doesn't answer the question. If you don't care about poor service then you might see a clue as to why it doesn't change. Apathy rules.

I think that competence in every area seems to be on the decline... and in every country.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The title of this thread is "Why is Thai service so abysmal?".  Not, "Why is service in Thailand occasionally less than I would like", or "Why did I get so bent out of shape by a couple of minor service incidents in Thailand?".

Now it sounds like you're the one being petty, Joe.