Microsoft’s latest Windows security updates might break your VPN

Screenshot_2.jpg.ce249c5bb390baafed2c756ed9a38a5e.jpg

Until the company issues a fix, the only workaround is to skip or uninstall it.

Microsoft says the April security updates for Windows may break your VPN. (Oops!) “Windows devices might face VPN connection failures after installing the April 2024 security update (KB5036893) or the April 2024 non-security preview update,” the company wrote in a status update. It’s working on a fix.

Bleeping Computer first reported the issue, which affects Windows 11, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008 and later. User reports on Reddit are mixed, with some commenters saying their VPNs still work after installing the update and others claiming their encrypted connections were indeed borked.

“We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release,” Microsoft wrote.

At least one Redditor claims that uninstalling and reinstalling their VPN app fixed the problem for them, so it may be worth trying that before moving on to more drastic measures.

https://www.engadget.com/microsofts-latest-windows-security-updates-might-break-your-vpn-202050679.html

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tomm12 said:

I guess I am lucky. My NordVpn still works.

Regards,

Or maybe it is not working, in the sense of why you are using the VPN and why there was a Windows Update about it. You should check the reason for all of this. Keyword is 'TunnelVision'.

Edited by AreYouGerman

13 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Too many words. Your post should have been:

“For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY anyone would use Windows“

The real issue here is not Windows and ALL systems are affected, except Android.

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY anyone would use Windows 11. I tried - I bought a laptop that wouldn't accept a Windows 10 install, so I tried to accept Win 11. EVERY task took 2-6 more steps to accomplish and some of my basic favorite features (task bar on top being a major one) weren't even possible.

THEN I tried doing a Win 10 install AFTER a successful Win 11 install and LORD ALMIGHTY - I got my OS back!

All I can say is, "Shame on you, Micro$oft!"

I wanted to 10 but Best Buy store literally was only selling 11 computers.  I am not a power user and really should not have to both with the details of an operating system, but microsoft update and expiration policies have made me buy a computer I did not need every 7 years or so which while annoying has not been a life changing issue

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, gargamon said:

An obviously myopic and unrealistic statement. I've taught using M$ and Apple (only because I had to for the sake of connecting with my misguided students). Most of what I do is M$-based, as is the majority of software available world wide.

23 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I wanted to 10 but Best Buy store literally was only selling 11 computers.  I am not a power user and really should not have to both with the details of an operating system, but microsoft update and expiration policies have made me buy a computer I did not need every 7 years or so which while annoying has not been a life changing issue

I use WPS which makes WORD and EXCEL compatible documents.  Adobe reader is free.  I really do not need much for normal work.  I did use Turbo tax for the second year in a row now and absolutely loved it.  I have a nominal array of investments in stock and bonds and get dividends and interest, had some W2G gambling winnings, and that was all handled routinely. turbo Tax even digests the W2 income statement information without me having to type anything and easily read in and entered my 1099 consolidated dividend and interest statement I get from Etrade (now Morgan Stanly),  And I am a Florida resident but working in Connecticut so had to do that one Non Resident state form and I love how Turbo tax transferred the data over to the state seamlessly.  had my return monies direct deposited within a week. 

57 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Or maybe it is not working, in the sense of why you are using the VPN and why there was a Windows Update about it. You should check the reason for all of this. Keyword is 'TunnelVision'.

I am not good enough to speak intelligently on this subject. When I go to the Nord website it says that I am protected. Beyond that I would not know what to check. 

Regards,

15 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

An obviously myopic and unrealistic statement. I've taught using M$ and Apple (only because I had to for the sake of connecting with my misguided students). Most of what I do is M$-based, as is the majority of software available world wide.

Yes. And the lemmings are all marching off into the sea. Sorry, I'm not a lemming that does stuff just because everyone else does.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, gargamon said:

VPNs still work fine in ALL my Linux boxes.

You also missed the point. There has been discovered a major vulnerability. It's totally mainstream, you can't miss it.

It's 'new' vulnerability and has been discovered today and thats what Microsoft tried to patch.

More here:

Edited by AreYouGerman

25 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You also missed the point. There has been discovered a major vulnerability. It's totally mainstream, you can't miss it.

It's 'new' vulnerability and has been discovered today and thats what Microsoft tried to patch.

More here:

I see it talks about rouge dhcp servers. Does it also affect a dedicated IP?

Regards,

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Yes. And the lemmings are all marching off into the sea. Sorry, I'm not a lemming that does stuff just because everyone else does.

Well, these lemmings march our salaries to the bank and sail our boats on that sea.

I used to manage NT SQL and Oracle Enterprise servers. I played around with Linux and found it to be a toy, useful to only those who had the time to waste. We had productivity to maintain.

I'm glad you are happy with Linux. Don't throw stones at the majority of the world who has real work to get done.

9 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Well, these lemmings march our salaries to the bank and sail our boats on that sea.

I used to manage NT SQL and Oracle Enterprise servers. I played around with Linux and found it to be a toy, useful to only those who had the time to waste. We had productivity to maintain.

I'm glad you are happy with Linux. Don't throw stones at the majority of the world who has real work to get done.

Funny, I was a software engineer working almost exclusively on “big iron“ machines like solaris, hpux, multics, etc.  All Unix machines. This was for companies like HP, Cisco, and Qualcomm. I'm pretty sure we got a lot of real work done.

Reminds me of an anology I give when someone insults me by calling me an IT guy. I tell them IT guys are like the guys in the gas station that fill up your tank, ask if they can check the oil or the air in the tires, or wash your windows. I design Formula 1 race cars. 

Sounds like you were an IT guy.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Funny, I was a software engineer working almost exclusively on “big iron“ machines like solaris, hpux, multics, etc.  All Unix machines. This was for companies like HP, Cisco, and Qualcomm. I'm pretty sure we got a lot of real work done.

Reminds me of an anology I give when someone insults me by calling me an IT guy. I tell them IT guys are like the guys in the gas station that fill up your tank, ask if they can check the oil or the air in the tires, or wash your windows. I design Formula 1 race cars. 

Sounds like you were an IT guy.

Shame on you. Your arrogance is staggering.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

Maybe you could ask those who use it on 1.4 billion devices each month (2022) or the 72% in the world who use it on a desktop computer (2024).

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a problem.  I run Windows in a Virtual Machine.  The Virtual Machine connects to the network via NAT.  The host Linux OS runs the VPN.  So there is no connection between Windows and the VPN which is running on a Linux host.

Which is why I run Windows in a Virtual Machine in the first place.  To keep in sandboxed so it doesn't break things. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, gargamon said:

No, W11 really does suuhhk.  W7 and to a lesser extent, W10 are OK, but W10 in its first prepatched incarnations was horrid.  W11 is crashy, freezy, not fun to use, not helpful, not quicker, not more useful... literally no value that I can find.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...