Cannabis Shops to Close by April 1, 2025: Thai PM Orders Drug Rescheduling

webfact

Posted (edited)

It's going be an interesting couple months a head. A lot of Foreigners/Thais are Pro Cannabis & a lot of Thais/foreigners are against for whatever reasons. If you've followed the situation since the start you'd of known that this day was coming but no one knew exactly how it would go. Many thought it'll just be a Thai traditional doctor on site to operate.. To the foreigners who invested it was always part of the risk and a lot of investment I bet came from people who moved here and/or who didn't know the way of the land. I hope for the best for both sides and would love to see a happy medium. Good luck to all 

Edited by isandrew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, how many here believe that weed shops will really close on April 1, 2025?

Exactly, not gonna happen.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Darius1 said:

If banning marijuana is about "protecting" the Thai people and culture then alcohol should be banned first. Smoking marijuana has never killed anyone-yet alcohol (which according to a simple search) kills 20,000+ yearly with millions addicted-including over a million youth. So if it is NOT about safety-then it has to be about money. If just "weed" was sold, no edibles or other forms beyond just the flower there should be no social issues. It has been marketed this way for 1,000s of years without major problems.

Ditto....but I predict the days of cannabis are numbered. Cambodia has a golden opportunity if Hun Manet can take advantage of it.

• Sad 1

I’m not bothered if people want to smoke cannabis, but it’s more anti social than normal smoking because of the smell. Indoors only and at dedicated cannabis shops would help protect other people who are eating, drinking, socializing and don’t want the stink around them.

imho if people want to use cannabis, it’s because it alters their state of mind, much as alcohol does. So driving whilst high should also be out of the question.

its not the people who use cannabis that are the problem, its the impact that it has on people near them. At the moment its out of control.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

What are these negatives he's talking about. Road accidents, domestic disputes, sexual assaults and other crimes are always fueled by alcohol or yaba, not marijuana. Pot smokers can barely move after smoking weed with THC levels of 20-30 percent. This is Thaksin returning favors to the people who brought him home.

That barely move thing. Not such a good thing when people are driving or riding a motorbike 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

What are these negatives he's talking about. Road accidents, domestic disputes, sexual assaults and other crimes are always fueled by alcohol or yaba, not marijuana. Pot smokers can barely move after smoking weed with THC levels of 20-30 percent. This is Thaksin returning favors to the people who brought him home.

Take that:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/

It might fill your gap🙏

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

have barely smelled the stuff since the 70s.  But as I coast into retirement I am not against trying it a bit at my ripe old age of 68.  In the USA so many people have prescriptions for it, albeit legit and needed or not.  I was wondering if a girl I know that does use it would be able to buy and use some while in thailand, with or without her "legal" prescription

Weed is completely légal in many US states

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The planned reclassification of marijuana will likely unsettle the burgeoning cannabis industry

Ya think?  Captain Obvious strikes again.  

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, how many here believe that weed shops will really close on April 1, 2025?

April fools  😁

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a fan of weed, but I disagree.  Seems these shops are promoting tourism in a way.  Also, I have gone inside a few mostly very nice organized shops and the owners very friendly. 

I am sure it has caused some problems, but not more then booze I bet.

A shame if they go thru with it. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Reminds me of a Thai woman. Decide on something then the next minute change your mind. Why because the facts changed? No just because 

Are you sure that is just Thai women?

I even know some males that are like that...

Usually we just call them 'indecisive people' 

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Reminds me of a Thai woman. Decide on something then the next minute change your mind. Why because the facts changed? No just because 

This was Anutins vote buying scheme, a gift to the public to keep him in office.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is said that America is a country founded by genius and currently run by idiots. At least Thailand shares one thing in common with America.

After the big closure on 1 April 2025 you will still be able to get all the weed you might want by going to Isan.

The rock concerts in Buriram are open air pot fests and were long before the legalization and will likely be after 1 April 2025. 

Thailand is in such great economic shape that why not kill a business and bankrupt people? After all, it has no effect on the PM and the big wigs in Bangkok who live in gated communities and have not ridden a bus with common people in years.   

• Agree 2

Thats a massive rug pull. Upset cannabis shop owners, landlords and growers all losing their investment in a very short period of time. This was never going to last. Now the first question is can the genie be put back into the bottle? The second question in one of uncertainty .... what other sectors can potentially get a future rug pull?

• Agree 1

Still plenty of time before April Fools Day 2025 for a few more flip flops on the decision and a watering down on the proposal.

i can see it change to sales strictly in shops rather than online, with age checking as per alcohol and tobacco.

As these don’t stop any youth from getting a regular supply, in effect nothing will change.

• Agree 2

Once again  change your mind this place is laughable..  Bring in a law change it but once it in Thais treat it as a valid law still. Weed shops won't close  they do what they do in Vietnam turn it into a convienance store and sell it under the table simple. 

The most near sighted culture on  the planet blows my mind living hear. 

• Agree 2

Ha! great news, bound to be a lot of very unhappy people though as the marijuana boom seemed to be growing exponentially, and therein lies the problem.

The industry grew far too quickly and attracted all those get rich quick types dreaming of a life of luxury. If it had stayed calm and understated it might have had a chance but instead it became more and more glamourous, and shops became like bars or clubs, and was bound to attract a lot of attention from those anti-marijuana.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Too bad, but inevitable. At least until the next government says different. Luckily, everyone in issan grows their own 😜 weed will never be in short supply in THA. The upside is maybe a few less knucklehead tourist (and those will no self control) will decide to come here for the ganja experience.

• Confused 1