Cannabis Shops to Close by April 1, 2025: Thai PM Orders Drug Rescheduling

webfact

7 hours ago, stoner said:

garbage. 

Yes cannabis, is garbage at high THC levels it destroys lives only one person getting rich off this and he's made his money now. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Reminds me of a Thai woman. Decide on something then the next minute change your mind. Why because the facts changed? No just because 

They have a saying in Japanese...'Ona gokkuo to aki no sora'. It translates into 'A women's mind changes like the Autumn sky'. This saying is more appropriate for Thai beauracy. 

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Reminds me of a Thai woman. Decide on something then the next minute change your mind. Why because the facts changed? No just because 

everything is always about the money. I am speculating, but this might be a way of extorting more "taxes" (payoffs/brown envelopes) from the businesses in order to make the law go away. 

• Agree 2

everything is always about the money. I am speculating, this isn't even an opinion, but this might be a way of extorting more "taxes" (payoffs/brown envelopes) from the businesses in order to make the law go away. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, realfunster said:

If they enact this through parliament, I would be expecting class action lawsuits.

Hard to say how those would play out but it would certainly create negativity about the investment climate and regulatory stability in Thailand.

Whilst some of the shops looks expensively fitted out, I am also aware that companies have set up growing facilities here in Thailand, those investments will be of a higher magnitude I’m sure. I don’t know if these would be included in the government’s proposal. 

No need to enact it through parliament. They can just do the reverse process that Anutin did to legalize it.  Issue a public health ministerial regulation to amend the list of prohibited narcotics.  So the cannabis bill will be scrapped. 

I guess it just goes back to the status quo before legalization, i.e. bottles of stuff with such low concentrations of CBC and THC as to be completely ineffective available at high prices with high doctor fees from holistic clinics.  So the entire venture into medical marijuana is dead.

I expect some may attempt to sue the government but the defence will be that their licences have expired and the government has every right not to renew them in order to protect the nation, given the plethora of fake news stories about babies being murdered and woman raped by crazed madmen high on cannabis. 

Welcome to the new Thaksin regime.  He sacked the health minister who had some ideas about liberalizing things on speed pills to reduce over crowding in prisons and allow for rebab.  That will go too.  Thaksin came from the police and this liberalization of cannabis and other drugs has hit them hard in the pocket. Now the good times will roll for them again - extortion of small time users while police protected dealers are left untouched.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Closs the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Unbelievable.

Might be a good idea to regulate the sales a bit more.

But to ban and make it illegal again.

Some one has lost the plot..

More like somebody making daft decisions because they have lost the "POT"?

Somehow I smell Thaksin working behind the scenes here?  

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not in favour of drugs, but with this kind of change, you are really letting yourself know, was it that difficult before you allowed info to be obtained in other countries, or did they feel too proud to do so again.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

April 1st 2025

is a long way away.

24 hours is a long time in politics.

It’s not even law parliament would have to approve it. The article is bs like everything else this sight reports 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

If the government wants the weed shops closed they all must revive compensation..

But whats really going to happen is..

The weed shops will be told they are still free to sell legal weed with .02 THC or less........lol

I am sure no one will have a problem with paying 100-200 baht a gram for dirt weed...

Thousands of weed shop owners will be left in serious debt and bankrupt..

Why should the government give them compensation? Did the government order shops to be opened to sell weed.

IMO they opened because they thought it would be an easy way to make money.

If any compensation is paid, then Anutin and the BJT party should personally pay it themselves, as they started this whole mess.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe that's the problem , think of all the money the Police missed out on 

by legalising it , it's back to the corners if you want to buy your weed , and

the police may be waiting .....  

regards worgeordie

The police haven't been missing out on anything. The majority of the 6,000 weed shops have been paying them off because they are either unlicensed, selling some additional cannabis products that are still illegal, and other shops sell alcohol too, which they also don't have a license for, and they stay open after closing hours. Easier for the police to go around and collect the envelopes from the shops than actually have to do some work shaking people down for cannabis money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why it worked people earned money including landlords plus gov because these people rent shops and are not hiding.close it down the black market will come back,but maybe these people at the top are losing out to them now so they want it illegal again 

• Agree 1

I only hope that the thai voters remember what these incompetent and arrogant " Politicians " from the Toxin side , did to them .

And vote them out .

Never to return .

Until then , they will try their best to turn Thailand into an Autocracy .

Toxin is back pulling the strings , and with that , his " war on drugs " as well .

That failed miserably already .

Thailand needs a new , trustworthy , progressive government , not the always same ridiculous bull<deleted>ters .

Let's hope the political party that will " rise from the ashes " of the MFP , will win big again to get Thailand out of that politcal circus that is presently run by incompetent clowns .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

If the government wants the weed shops closed they all must revive compensation..

But whats really going to happen is..

The weed shops will be told they are still free to sell legal weed with .02 THC or less........lol

I am sure no one will have a problem with paying 100-200 baht a gram for dirt weed...

Thousands of weed shop owners will be left in serious debt and bankrupt..

It was a well known fact that that buds could only be sold if the THC was 0.2% or below, yet they all threw money at it hoping to make a killing. No sympathy i'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2