Public Indecency at Wat Phra Kaew Spurs National Outrage and Debate

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

If I found someone taking photos of my young kid urinating, they would have a smashed phone and face. 

Pointless commenting with hostility, I don't think you are the type to allow your child to urinate on the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. 

Strange people need to be held to account, these parents are out of order. 

We all know to respect these temple's. 

There's a filter on the girl, was the photo filtered by the photographer? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Martin71 said:

Witness said Chinese..

And we all know that they like pissing and <deleted>on the streets
The bag with the xiaomi logo is also a big giveaway

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Harit Thavornkij, the eyewitness who exposed the incident, shared an image on his Facebook account of the deed taking place, right outside the palace, inciting a furious response from Thai netizens.

I think HE should face punishment for posting the picture of an 8 (!) y.o. girl relieving herself on Facebook.  Regardless of where this happened, he had no business taking and sharing such a photo.

As for the parents of the girl, they obviously should have made an effort to locate the restrooms, which cannot have been far away. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NativeBob said:

elephant pants. no thai will wear this nonsense outfit.

Elephant pants seems to be the fad for Thais at the moment, see them worn everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Get a life Thai people, outraged at a young girl needing to urinate... what would you rather, she pee herself.

When kids have to go.... they have to go.

Get a life.

You're missing the point. The location is salient and the fact that the parents clearly seem to let her do this all the time judging by the absence of embarrassment or shame on their part. 

Peeing in public is not accepted behaviour anywhere that I know of........hence the public indeceny laws that exist. The exception may be China. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

You're missing the point. The location is salient and the fact that the parents clearly seem to let her do this all the time judging by the absence of embarrassment or shame on their part. 

Peeing in public is not accepted behaviour anywhere that I know of........hence the public indeceny laws that exist. The exception may be China. 

The only reason it's unacceptable is that it was witnessed, and shared online, the location was extra outrage.

Otherwise no-one would know or even care.

Like the Thai person [male] I saw a few days ago taking a dump behind a tree on a pavement while I was out for an early morning ride.

I chose to ignore it, not take a photo and post it...  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

The only reason it's unacceptable is that it was witnessed, and shared online, the location was extra outrage.

Otherwise no-one would know or even care.

Like the Thai person [male] I saw a few days ago taking a dump behind a tree on a pavement while I was out for an early morning ride.

I chose to ignore it, not take a photo and post it...  

he was behind a tree not on the steps of a temple and he was not a foreigner as you stated he was Thai and he was an adult, not a minor. Keep going. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

It they were Chinese it wouldn't have even made the news.

In other cases where Chinese tourists were caught doing something it barely registered a response of any kind. No one cared.

And they still don't - unless the offender is "non-Asian" of course.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, twizzian said:

Yes! It’s an outrage for a Four year old doing a little pee pee when she should have sat on the elephant pants lap

Careful. many of the literal minded trolls on this site are unable to comprehend irony or sarcasm

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Wrong, very popular right now this Songkran period at local shops and markets.

Indeed, they've recently become a source of great national pride !

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Meanwhile dogs piss and poo everywhere temples included.

Humans have the ability to locate and use toilets, while dogs do not. While I agree that stray dogs are a huge  problem here, comparing humans to dogs doesn't seem quite fair, does it?

• Agree 2

Having lived and worked in Bombay (Mumbai) for 2 years in the mid-90’s, it is perfectly “Normal” for Indian Nationals  to have a Poop’n Pee wherever and whenever…..

Sidewalks were particularly dangerous places to walk.

If Thailand wants more Indian “Tourists”…… get ready to start scraping the sidewalks…..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Well, talk to the tourism goons of Thailand; they successfully managed to downgrade the quality of tourists into a bottomless pit. 

On the other hand, be reasonable and apply common sense (yeah, a big word in the Land, I know). This is a child, a small child, and given the fact, that toilets might not be clearly signed, in English, Chinese or whatever, might not have helped. 

It is certainly not a sign of disrespect towards anything. But, if the semi-divine Khon Thai are soooooooooooo sensitive, then forget about the millions of Baht entry ticket revenue, close the temple to the followers of the faith who, by birth right, must be Thai nationals - and Bob's your uncle. 

You cannot have your cake and eat it; the child for sure had no insulting thoughts and the same might apply to the parents being eventually too stupid to ask their child for a toilet visit before leaving home/hotel or whatever. 

Also wondering, if those elephant trousers are genuine. Yet another rannygazoo on copyrights - what an oxymoron in Thailand. If fake, arrest the culprit, park him in the slammer for 25 years and fine him 500 Baht to teach him and the rest of those expected 40 million tourists a lesson on how things are done in Thailand 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, verticalift said:

Having lived and worked in Bombay (Mumbai) for 2 years in the mid-90’s, it is perfectly “Normal” for Indian Nationals  to have a Poop’n Pee wherever and whenever…..

Sidewalks were particularly dangerous places to walk.

If Thailand wants more Indian “Tourists”…… get ready to start scraping the sidewalks…..

I only ever saw people do that in the corner of some field, never ever on a footpath, and everywhere had running water, unlike China. 

34 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Peeing in public is not accepted behaviour anywhere that I know of..

most civilised societies make allowances for  young children

most civilised societies would not condone anybody videoing this

• Thanks 2

I think that there is a population sentiment that foreigners should respect Thai Culture and Traditions and way to behave wich I agree with .

And there is the Socials who instrumentals and hunt any bs to feed the anger of the people to gain followers n likes , behavior wich I find bad and people should dislike as they dislike non respecting foreign individuals....

41 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

How can you establish the level of shame and embarrassment ?     or the "fact"  that they "clearly let her do it all the time "   you must have amazing powers

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

bringing to light possible double-standards in the way local law perceives foreigners vis-a-vis Thai nationals.

OK then, if they want to talk about double standards, how about Farang price thai price on unmarked goods, dual tier racist pricing in hospitals, dual racist pricing in national parks........and the list goes on.......bloody hypocrites.

5 minutes ago, Marco100 said:

I think that there is a population sentiment that foreigners should respect Thai Culture and Traditions and way to behave wich I agree with .

And there is the Socials who instrumentals and hunt any bs to feed the anger of the people to gain followers n likes , behavior wich I find bad and people should dislike as they dislike non respecting foreign individuals....

biggest problem is that these people are tourists from a country totally different in culture and every other aspect in Thai and wherever they are from.  I can recall the first time I rode in a taxi in Japan and the driver stopped and took a leak right there on the side of a busy street.  I have been at "quality" restaurants here in Thailand and have seen Chinese boys too just urinating near the outdoors tables occupied by other foreigners too - happened to be farangs and they were outraged to say the least but the Chinese took no notice of them and their comments nor was anything ever said to the children.  A bathroom was less that 5 meters away and widely marked for all to see.  As for this happening at a revered temple, enough properly marked signs should be provided at entrances to avoid such behavior as it seems to upset the locals so much.  my opinion anyway - I have seen way too much flagrant violation of local customs around the world for this to have any effect on me - just the forum comments.

15 hours ago, NativeBob said:

elephant pants. no thai will wear this nonsense outfit.

Well they do up here in the sticks a lot, but I think Chinese they do that openly there, but also its not in the temple but outside.