British Man Arrested in Bangkok Over Defamation Claims by Phuket Restaurant

webfact

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Try reading more than just the headline. Or is it too hard for you to get past the big letters?

No one in Thailand has ever been arrested for leaving a review saying the service was bad, or that the food wasn't good. I have done it myself for Sea View Resort in Koh Chang (yes, the one who prosecuted the other idiot) and the management responded and apologised for the incident and vowed to improve service because it was a fair and balanced review.

This moron had a dispute over access to his condo and (allegedly) bombarded the restaurant with one star reviews and also got his mates to join in, such that their Google rating dropped from 4.9 to 3.1. That is obviously going to have a negative effect on their business and is a form of defamation. I don't believe it should be a criminal offence, but it is in this country and some others. Don't defame businesses or people and you'll be fine.

He was stupid, vindictive and petty.

Please elaborate

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ryandb said:

I'm guessing it wasn't just petty revoking of use there was likely noise or certain types of people joining him that the restaurant didn't want its patrons to see or hear, I don't for one second believe this should be a criminal case but if a provable loss of income from false reviews then a civil case would be fine

If there was evidence of noise etc, as you mention, did the owner ask politely for him to stop whatever the issue was?

We don't really have all the information, but In Thailand even if you leave a negative review which is true and you have evidence, you can still get in trouble, which is crazy!

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I have never heard of a prosecution based on a single focused Yelp review. Multi-posting bad reviews over something unrelated to the business should be prosecuted. It is deliberate and it is dishonest.

THIS..ive made many true reviews about BAD service etc,,,,based on FACTS....some here dont seem to understand this concept..they just want to post their daily grievances

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

great posting gents

now let get to to the FACTS....a rare thing theser days on this site

the POST say he seemingly left many FALSE statements about the business....yes that IS defamation...

TRUE statements would NOT be...see how that works. as i have left BAD reviews here in LOS based on BAD service aka truth

Saying FALSE things about any business can lead to this ,,anywhere....see how this works???

but do go on about freedom of speech etc,,,you must be the one making jokes about bombs on planes.....smh

whats your grievance today ????

Perhaps Alex also dinned there, and his chums.......🤔

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

thank you  ive posted bad reviews based on FACTS .....the kid was making up stuff and bombing the owner with fake reviews..for all the dim witted here....for the slow ones..you cant make up lies and post them about others business...ok???

"Dim witted here", that's a bit much coming from you..............:huh:

• Thumbs Up 1