British Man Arrested in Bangkok Over Defamation Claims by Phuket Restaurant

webfact

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

This country is an absolute farce.

Btw, I've eaten in that Italian fellas restaurant before and it was sh!te...

bob.

Where is it then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thalueng said:

This is not about an honest review. This is about a guy trying to bring down a business because the owner restricts access to property or parking space to visitors of his restaurant. This is not to be tolerated, do not blame this to Thai law going after online scam!

are you the owner of that restaurant and their crooked methods by any chance ?`😁

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't think I can elaborate any more. Which part are you having trouble with?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on potential solutions or best practices for addressing conflicts in a constructive manner.

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

great posting gents

now let get to to the FACTS....a rare thing theser days on this site

the POST say he seemingly left many FALSE statements about the business....yes that IS defamation...

TRUE statements would NOT be...see how that works. as i have left BAD reviews here in LOS based on BAD service aka truth

Saying FALSE things about any business can lead to this ,,anywhere....see how this works???

but do go on about freedom of speech etc,,,you must be the one making jokes about bombs on planes.....smh

whats your grievance today ????

Are you intoxicated? You seem confused and you are plain wrong in your assertion 

If you want to educate yourself look up TripAdvisor koh Chang the truth has no bearing but these actions can have unexpected consequences for the hard of thinking Thai hi so.....

5 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

The hotel guy did get arrested for leaving a review. That's literally what he was charged with, defamation. I don't dispute that he was belligerent. Arrest him for belligerence then. But any business is going to get some disruptive customers and unfair reviews. It's the nature of Google and Yelp. There is no way that it's justified to put someone in jail who shared their opinion, whether they're right or wrong. Same goes for this case. A bad review cannot be a crime in anything resembling a free society. It's a backwards, North-Korea style practice that needs to be amended. 

At the end of the day, sending the cops to get this hotel guy did far damage than anything he could have written. After the incident, the hotel was buried with angry, negative reviews. What did they accomplish? Self sabotage. Opinions, even if wrong, should no be crimes. 

They've had to change their name but I would never ever go there again since the managers did this, so yes year's later it's having consequences and I reckon I am not the only person either. Reap what you sow!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thai police seem to excel in gaining confessions.

you have no idea, sir, how right you are. They promise hell and eternal suffering to "patients"

5 hours ago, gravia said:

What happens if a resturant owner gets his friends to post glowing reveiws. To up his google ratings ?

can he be arrested for false reveiws. Just a thought. and Im sure it must happen.

Reading up on other sources, this seems exactly what was happening here: the guy was tasked to "promote" the restaurant.

After falling into this disagreement, it seems that he turned those bought fake reviews from positive ones to negative ones.

Not sure what visa he could have been on, so he is burned either way.

But will we really read the owner of the restaurant getting into trouble for his creative advertising? I guess not...

If I see a bad review from someone with only a few reviews I disregard it as biased.  Either the competition trying to play dirty or somebody who doesn't get out much.  Several hundred reviews then I look at their reviews.  If I see reviews for McDonald's or other fast food places, I know they're idiots, too.  If hundreds of reviews in quality joints then I pay attention. 😄

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Reading up on other sources, this seems exactly what was happening here: the guy was tasked to "promote" the restaurant.

After falling into this disagreement, it seems that he turned those bought fake reviews from positive ones to negative ones.

Not sure what visa he could have been on, so he is burned either way.

But will we really read the owner of the restaurant getting into trouble for his creative advertising? I guess not...

Nothing illegal about fake positive reviews. Would be up to Google, tripadvisor etc to take action there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

How dare a farang make any bad comments about poor quality and service in Thailand.

There's plenty of other, more welcoming, (these days), countries to spend our hard earned wages in.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

[quote]

If Alexander only reported facts it's not defamation.

[/quote]

Wrong!  In Thailand, if you post the truth, but that truth causes the business to suffer, then it's defamation.  'Defamation' is different in Thailand compared to other countries.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

“Despite benefiting from the restaurant offering a convenient access passage, Alexander was asked to stop using it …”

in what universe does this make sense? If he was asked to stop using it, how could he benefit?

sometimes it just pointless to read any news article posted here. There are so many contradictory statements, none can be trusted. SMH.

AN is owned by the Thaiger now and we have all complained in the past about incomprehensible articles from that publication 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, G Rex said:

Spell check again?

' the cost of maintaining the root'

there.    fixed

What have roots got to do with it?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RobU said:

What have roots got to do with it?

Okay - not very funny I know

May I suggest you develop a sense of humour?

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

The internet knows how to handle this ... exactly like they handled the hotel that got a tourist arrested for his review. The Streisand effect is about to hit them like a train, if it hasn't already. Their reviews will be a smoking crater within a week of news getting out. 

The 'tourist' in question was a vindictive bully wanted in his home state in the USA for firing a gun at a bar that had told him to leave because of his atrocious behaviour brandishing a gun at the bar. He was not a tourist he was teaching English in a Thai school. His teaching visa was revoked (probably because of his violent record) and he was deported back to the USA to face investigation. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Okay - not very funny I know

May I suggest you develop a sense of humour?

Deeply confused by your post and your attitude. May I suggest that you also get a sense of humour and post comments that make sense

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1