Putins Hunger.

Lets's suppose: Putins hunger is not satisfied by the Ukraine and marches on into "western Europe", turning you into a "Fugitive". Where outside of the EU would you go? US, Canada, Australia is "out", as only highly skilled labor and/or wealthy persons will find entry originating from Europe.
Where would you go?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, swissie said:

Lets's suppose: Putins hunger is not satisfied by the Ukraine and marches on into "western Europe", turning you into a "Fugitive". Where outside of the EU would you go? US, Canada, Australia is "out", as only highly skilled labor and/or wealthy persons will find entry originating from Europe.
Where would you go?

Impossible. Will not happen as NATO is allied and also allied with US.  

In fact. most of the news about Ukraine probably is far removed from reality. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

Impossible. Will not happen as NATO is allied and also allied with US.  

In fact. most of the news about Ukraine probably is far removed from reality. 

Currently the standing Army of Germany consists of around 100'000 soldiers. The ratio in other European countries is about the same. Compared to Russian capabilities, western Europe is basically "defensless".

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, swissie said:

Where would you go?

I would be more worried of the war crimes Israel is committing on a daily basis, despite the calls to stop from the UN agencies or the international penal courts. And much of the genocide being done with US weapons.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, swissie said:

Currently the standing Army of Germany consists of around 100'000 soldiers. The ratio in other European countries is about the same. Compared to Russian capabilities, western Europe is basically "defensless".

28 minutes ago, swissie said:

How do you work that out?

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

How do you work that out?

By openly disclosed figures, issued by defense ministeries, German Defence Minister (Mr. Pistorius) has confirmed this dismal situation on public TV a few days ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, swissie said:

Where would you go?

Ahhhh - The old Domino Theory.  That's right folks, Lê Duẩn and the NVA Commies marched through the entirety of Southeast Asia after the fall of the South Vietnamese government and the pull-out of the US.  They absorbed Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Burma, Bangladesh, and Eastern India before sailing to over-throw Indonesia and then heading to conquer Australia and New Zealand where this portion of the globe is now run by freedom-hating Red Communists who now seek to overthrow the world!

Oh wait, that must have been a Quintin Tarantino movie script - just like the the Inglorious Bastards 2.0 script he's now working on about Putin's marching through Europe and re-establishing a Soviet Republic from Lisbon to Lavrentiya - and then the world except if Lt. Aldo Raine and his crew and stop the Russian Hitler at a local cinema!!! 

The level of ignorance is simply amazing regarding Geo-politics and global history in general, which has a lot to do with Western expat member's visceral hatred of all countries who refuse to be Western vessel-states and bow down to the dying Imperial colonial powers who once ruled most of the world from the 17th century until now.  Yes - the world is going to change drastically, economically and militarily.  But it will be called The BRICS Nations until they rename the economic/security alliance that will become the dominate force in the world - collectively - individual sovereign nations acting as a collective.  Then the question becomes - where are you fools going to run when Chinese influence in the BRICS equation absorbs Southeast and Central Asia - and those countries are willingly absorb into the BRICS alliance for both economic and security reason.  The only thing that will change that calculus is a nuclear exchange which is become more of a reality then anytime during my life-time including the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Personally I don't believe humanity survives much longer.  And its all driven by fear, hate, and loathing -- Putin's gonna get 'cha.  Xi's gonna get 'cha.  That's if Covid don't get 'cha first.  Ya'll are amazing.  :thumbsup:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, swissie said:

Please, back on topic. What (and where) if we should end up as Western European "Fugitives"?

Again, please back on topic. 

6 minutes ago, swissie said:

Again, please back on topic. 

This is on topic -- It's not going to happen! So why worry? 

If you really want to worry about something, worry about a nuclear exchange between nuclear armed countries which is a much more likely scenario.  Then the question is:  "What's gonna kill you first?  Radiation sickness or a nuclear winter?" 
Russia isn't going to take over Western Europe or Eastern Europe either for that matter.  But if NATO marches on Russia via Ukraine I expect that global warming will be measured in a hundreds million degrees followed by a drop to the minus column world-wide.  Then you won't have to worry about where you're going to go.  People need to develop some sanity quickly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Ahhhh - The old Domino Theory.  That's right folks, Lê Duẩn and the NVA Commies marched through the entirety of Southeast Asia after the fall of the South Vietnamese government and the pull-out of the US.  They absorbed Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Burma, Bangladesh, and Eastern India before sailing to over-throw Indonesia and then heading to conquer Australia and New Zealand where this portion of the globe is now run by freedom-hating Red Communists who now seek to overthrow the world!

Oh wait, that must have been a Quintin Tarantino movie script - just like the the Inglorious Bastards 2.0 script he's now working on about Putin's marching through Europe and re-establishing a Soviet Republic from Lisbon to Lavrentiya - and then the world except if Lt. Aldo Raine and his crew and stop the Russian Hitler at a local cinema!!! 

The level of ignorance is simply amazing regarding Geo-politics and global history in general, which has a lot to do with Western expat member's visceral hatred of all countries who refuse to be Western vessel-states and bow down to the dying Imperial colonial powers who once ruled most of the world from the 17th century until now.  Yes - the world is going to change drastically, economically and militarily.  But it will be called The BRICS Nations until they rename the economic/security alliance that will become the dominate force in the world - collectively - individual sovereign nations acting as a collective.  Then the question becomes - where are you fools going to run when Chinese influence in the BRICS equation absorbs Southeast and Central Asia - and those countries are willingly absorb into the BRICS alliance for both economic and security reason.  The only thing that will change that calculus is a nuclear exchange which is become more of a reality then anytime during my life-time including the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Personally I don't believe humanity survives much longer.  And its all driven by fear, hate, and loathing -- Putin's gonna get 'cha.  Xi's gonna get 'cha.  That's if Covid don't get 'cha first.  Ya'll are amazing.  :thumbsup:

Interesting. How do you bring this in connection with this thread?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Where would you go?

Whose hunger?

"Not an inch to the east."

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Compared to NATO Russia is a joke. Number of soldiers doesn't mean much if these forces clash but the difference in active military personnel is not much. NATO has the most advanced weapon systems in the world and represents more than 50% of the worlds GDP. Russia represents about 2%. Either way both have more than enough to destroy significant parts of the other side if it came down to it. That's the most Russia could achieve, they could never win, only inflict significant damage but then get destroyed themselves. So I'm not exactly scared that Russia will try and therefore am not thinking about where to go should Putin try.

• Agree 1

For the first time since 2006 I have to ask the moderators to close a thread of mine. Current posters staunchly refuse to comment on the headline of this post, instead trying to turn this into another Ukrainian/Russian ping pong game.

I would therefore suggest, that unless posters focus in on the "Headline" of this post, this thread should be closed, with my approval.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, swissie said:

For the first time since 2006 I have to ask the moderators to close a thread of mine. Current posters staunchly refuse to comment on the headline of this post, instead trying to turn this into another Ukrainian/Russian ping pong game.

I would therefore suggest, that unless posters focus in on the "Headline" of this post, this thread should be closed, with my approval.

A bit drastic no? I think it's fair to say the premise is not realistic. But let's play along. IF Putin were to attack NATO (which he wont) and IF I would have to flee and IF places like Australia rejected non-skilled EU residents (which they wouldn't in case of war) and IF I were not a high-skilled person (which I am) then I guess staying in Thailand wouldn't be such a bad option UNLESS China joins the fray and drags the whole of SEA into it as well. If that were the case then maybe somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Spain might be pretty safe. Maybe Canary Islands?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

Why not migrate to Russia 

Yeah! I am looking into it as we speak.

The issue is 'dating'. As one of those 'handsome' leftovers who go to Thailand to get a girlfriend, I have doubts that I will be a hit with the local Russian women with those Aryan facial features.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

A bit drastic no? I think it's fair to say the premise is not realistic. But let's play along. IF Putin were to attack NATO (which he wont) and IF I would have to flee and IF places like Australia rejected non-skilled EU residents (which they wouldn't in case of war) and IF I were not a high-skilled person (which I am) then I guess staying in Thailand wouldn't be such a bad option UNLESS China joins the fray and drags the whole of SEA into it as well. If that were the case then maybe somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Spain might be pretty safe. Maybe Canary Islands?

Rats! A Russian Occupation will likely bring a halt to pension-money transfers to some European "refugees". No matter where they are. Even in Thailand.

Respect: You are the only one that has (so far) adressed the subject in connection with the headline. 

2 hours ago, swissie said:

By openly disclosed figures, issued by defense ministeries, German Defence Minister (Mr. Pistorius) has confirmed this dismal situation on public TV a few days ago.

I meant, how do you work out that Europe is basically defenseless. Land armies are proving less and less effective. Russia reputedly has an army of over 3 million. But where is it, and where has it got to in Ukraine? European NATO nations could probably muster the same number. Defending Russia on all sides would be an impossible task. Almost 14,000 miles of borders, with 24 countries, including the US and Japan. It has relatively few large cities. There's nothing there. It's why Putin is so effing paranoid. His only defense would be nuclear.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, swissie said:

Rats! A Russian Occupation will likely bring a halt to pension-money transfers to some European "refugees". No matter where they are. Even in Thailand.

Respect: You are the only one that has (so far) adressed the subject in connection with the headline.

I think it's fair to assume that Russia attacking NATO would be the start of WW3. All bets are off and I would not count on pensions anywhere, even in your home country. The primary objective would be to find a safe place where your life is not threatened. Second step would then be to see how one can have a life in that location but there are always ways to at least find some lodging and food if one is at all capable of doing something productive. I would not rely on the state or any other third person taking care of me apart from maybe family. So money transfers etc would be not high on my list of concerns as long as I am a bit prepared. In fact I always think it's good advise to not rely too much on others and to always have multiple options.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, swissie said:

Where would you go?

I would pick up a gun an go to Moscow!

• Agree 1

Putins invasion of Ukraine has exposed his useless - zero disciplined military and its leaders.......joke ! He ain't expanding anywhere......

• Thumbs Up 1

Putin cant do it. Even after he defeats NATO, the freedom loving peoples of Western Europe with grab their M4 Rifles from their closets with steely, manly determination and fight the Russian hordes to the last man.

Wait: Rifles in their closets?. Steely and Manly? Bwahahahahahah

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Please, back on topic. What (and where) if we should end up as Western European "Fugitives"?

I am already there 🙂. I left the UK almost 24 years ago.

Greetings from Laos

• Agree 1