What would you do with that scam?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You never order anything for delivery ?? - they usually call to ensure you are in before delivery.

And what if its the Bank calling... (your Bank never calls, right ?)

What if its your Bolt / Grab taxi wanting to confirm your address ?

You may be retired, so its a bit easier... I can't ignore unknown calls because they could be recruiters.

Hang on I am in the west I don't use Bolt or grab I do use Online Orders Just now I ordered a portable wheelchair and I order food online as well. Never ever I got scammed. 

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You never order anything for delivery ?? - they usually call to ensure you are in before delivery.

You may be retired, so its a bit easier... I can't ignore unknown calls because they could be recruiters.

Hang on I am in the west I don't use Bolt or grab I do use Online Orders Just now I ordered a portable wheelchair and I order food online as well. Never ever I got scammed. 

Ah..  well, that makes a bit of a difference...     Are you talking landline then or cell ?

Landline - its difficult not to not answer (in the UK anyway)...  and cold callers are a PITA...

Cell - its a bit easier to deal with unknown numbers, but it could still be the bank, the hospital etc...

Anyway - never answering any call you where you don't recognise the number means you wont get 'cold called' for sales or a 'receive a scam call...   But, it definitely means you could miss a call that you would otherwise have wanted to answer.

But, to say I never got scammed, is flawed reasoning, I do answer unknown numbers, and have also never been scammed... 

Each to there own, and your preference is your preference..... its just like the preference to use or not use digital payments, its not the choice I question (and debate) but the reasoning and justification.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

The sender is only identified by "ZFMGC5"
Not a phone number.
Blocking the name "ZFMGC5" is if no use.

Agreed. That was exactly my point. Blocking these scam senders is useless. Only reporting them will result in effective blocking. 

• Thanks 1

I get the sms in question now and then and delete it. End of. I also receive cold calls now and then, but my phone shows me the region it's coming from, several areas in the Bangkok region, and I know from that what it is and don't answer it. Yesterday, my wife got our first call from someone wanting to deliver a package we hadn't ordered, yet another scam. She asked who it was addressed to, it wasn't us and she told them so. All you need is a bit of common sense.

18 hours ago, Dioj said:

Most of these scam SMS messages can't effectively be blocked because there is no number associated with them. They are sent out by bulk SMS spam servers. So when you block them your phone isn't really able to create a proper block. 

Best thing to do is report them to your cell phone service provider. Eventually they should be able to filter them for you. Also, if you are going to report them then don't delete them until you've reported them, just in case your service provider needs some information contained within the text message. 

you may not be able to block on your phone BUT install a call blocker app that also blocks SMS messages and just add the number to the blocked list. The app will then automatically do what it's designed to. Around 6 months ago I was constantly receiving phone calls & SMS messages with Malaysia's country code. Never answered or opened any of them. Just added to the blocked list in the app and haven't received any calls or SMS messages since.

However, if you at some point delete those numbers from the blocked list in the app that will actually unblock them. 

What happens here maybe once a week (phone scam, etc) happens multiple times daily in other parts of the world.

Ignore and block.

And refuse or give fake numbers to everyone )like when getting a store loyalty card, etc). 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Block, i got one the other day

Screenshot_2024-05-09-11-59-08-015_com.google.android.apps.messaging~2_015543.jpg

I think now the vat tax is applied to all overseas purchases perhaps the tax will have to be paid at the post office prior to delivery. more scams on the way. How can you tell? 

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

In the past I must have clicked on something via SMS (not that I recall) because credit just gets eaten all the time

True have reset Sim 3 times but as soon as the new month starts on the 1st the credit starts disappearing again. 

Pain because the only time I'd need credit is the emergency hospital ambulance numbers just imagine having heart attack and the phones telling you to add credit !

No matter how much you reset SIM card.  You will still get spam this way. Your phone number is either found randomly or is sold by the phone service. If they address you by name then it is sold by the phone company for sure. My wife receives many calls monthly claiming to know her and has limited information about her. And they ask questions to learn more. Luckily she is smart enough and plays along with them until they give up. I get many using my phone number that add my line and then message me that they know me using a different name. So stupid are these that my line shows my real name yet they say hello with a different name. 

36 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I get many using my phone number that add my line

You know you can stop that in Line if you want to?

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

I think now the vat tax is applied to all overseas purchases perhaps the tax will have to be paid at the post office prior to delivery. more scams on the way. How can you tell? 

Excellent point.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

you may not be able to block on your phone BUT install a call blocker app that also blocks SMS messages and just add the number to the blocked list. The app will then automatically do what it's designed to. Around 6 months ago I was constantly receiving phone calls & SMS messages with Malaysia's country code. Never answered or opened any of them. Just added to the blocked list in the app and haven't received any calls or SMS messages since.

However, if you at some point delete those numbers from the blocked list in the app that will actually unblock them. 

Which app? As I mentioned, many senders send from a goofy name as the sender and not a number. 

18 hours ago, Negita43 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They come in on different numbers many times so blocking them doesn't help - are you a five-year old child?

Your point is correct except for the last part which is completely unnecessary - not everybody might be as "tech savvy" as you.

Read Sticky Rice Balls' post to which I was responding before you have a completely unnecessary go at me, then you might be able to understand my comment.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Negita43 said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Or get something like Bitdefender

On you phone here in Thailand?

"On you phone here in Thailand?"

That does not make any sense - what do you mean?  If you're trying to ask me if I have Bitdefender on my phone here in Thailand, the answer is "Yes".

Posted (edited)

Don't answer read the messages or answer the calls.  Easy.  Or get something like Bitdefender; I get the same messages as you showed but Bitdefender immediately recognises them and diverts them to a scam file, before the incoming message tone has even finished and from where they can be deleted.

Don't answer read the messages or answer the calls.  Easy.  Or get something like Bitdefender; I get the same messages as you showed but Bitdefender immediately recognises them and diverts them to a scam file, before the incoming message tone has even finished and from where they can be deleted.

How do you get Bitdefender? A bit off topic but I am fed up getting these AIS adverts all the time.

Edited by NoshowJones

13 hours ago, Confuscious said:

The sender is only identified by "ZFMGC5"
Not a phone number.
Blocking the name "ZFMGC5" is if no use.

Blocking the sender and marking it as "Spam" is an option on SMSs. Open the message to read it (without clicking on any provided links) and click on the options, "Block and report spam" is one of them (it is on my phone, anyway).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
13 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well I just don't answer to numbers Who are not in my phone book 

A courier's call would be expected and will come from a local number, so there's be no problem answering that call, same for an expected taxi, but is it very possible that he does not have deliveries or books taxis.   

Why would his bank be calling a private individual, unsolicited?   If there's something important or relevant, banks will write, not call.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Blocking the sender and marking it as "Spam" is an option on SMSs. Open the message to read it (without clicking on any provided links) and click on the options, "Block and report spam" is one of them (it is on my phone, anyway).

My phone, Vivo Y22, only gives the option to Block the sender.
Which is useless.

Screenshot_20240514_120352.jpg

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't how to block the sender the point of this?

As said many times in this thread, only "Blocking" the sender is of no use as the sender uses a spoof identity, not a phone number.
Only "Report" the sender and block the incoming SMS at the provider is a way to eliminate the scammer.

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you tried clicking on the three dots, top right?  That's where my options are.

Yes,the only option is "Block".

So what is it that your are wanting to do, then?  You're aware of Bitdefender, why not use it?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Only "Report" the sender and block the incoming SMS at the provider is a way to eliminate the scammer.

Bitdefender is also a way to control the receipt of the messages.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Yes the one i got was very good timing, as it was announced in the press about the new import tax charge. I knew because it was received on my second phone i don't use for Lazada and two, no deliveries outstanding

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what is it that your are wanting to do, then?  You're aware of Bitdefender, why not use it?

What are you trying to proof?
Silly and trolling answers.

The "Bitdefender" solution was proposed by a member only a few messages ago and "Bitdefender" may prevent the message from being displayed, it does not prevent the scammer for keep sending his Scams.
Only a "Report" can do this.

IF the thread is not to your liking, just skip it and go to the next thread.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

What are you trying to proof?
Silly and trolling answers.

The "Bitdefender" solution was proposed by a member only a few messages ago and "Bitdefender" may prevent the message from being displayed, it does not prevent the scammer for keep sending his Scams.
Only a "Report" can do this.

IF the thread is not to your liking, just skip it and go to the next thread.

"The "Bitdefender" solution was proposed by a member only a few messages ago..."

Yes, me!    I'm not trying to "proof" [sic] anything.

""Bitdefender" may prevent the message from being displayed, it does not prevent the scammer for keep sending his Scams".  Only a "Report" can do this".

Nothing can prevent the messages from being sent, not even a report.  A report may prevent them from being received, just as Bitdefender will prevent them from being seen.

"IF the thread is not to your liking, just skip it and go to the next thread".

I have no problem with the thread but it seems that you do; if the thread (or my input) is not to your liking, just skip it and go to the next thread.

Edited by Liverpool Lou