Thailand Set to Elect New Senate Amidst Constitutional Revamp

4 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

However, a significant number of these queries fell on deaf ears, receiving no response.

right... until it is time to re-elect probated taxsin once again

I wonder how much money they will promise the commoner voters if they vote for them.

"Vote for me and my party!!!  20K per adult vote if you elect us into office!!!" 

Oh!  We've seen this rodeo before.  :thumbsup:

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Denim said:

Ah....here comes the house speaker 

' Make way at the trough , make way at the trough '

IOW Put your large brown envelopes intended for me in the trough!

Edited by scottiejohn

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, tubber said:

I don't believe the commoner voters can vote for them. Only the other candidates that have registered?

I agree, this system is very similar to the old UK feudal system. They can only register if they satisfy specific criteria such as wealth and influence which depends on maintaining the status quo 

Edited by RobU
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Observers see these forthcoming elections as a fundamental stride towards fortifying Thailand's democratic fabric, hinting at a more engaged approach to the nation's governance.

Meanwhile on planet earth, observers, Thai and foreign, recognise a stitch up by those born to rule when they see one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I read a couple of articles about the new senate. But until now I didn't read who made up these utterly stupid rules. The candidates are not allowed to inform the public who they are. Only senate candidates vote for senate candidates, etc. Who made these rules?

To me it looks like whoever made the rules didn't want that anybody is informed what is going on, and they surely didn't want that the senate represents the people. Who made the rules and how is it possible that nobody complained loud enough?

TiT. Just worse than normal. And that means a lot. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder how much money they will promise the commoner voters if they vote for them.

"common voters" have no vote. Any monetary negotiations will occur during a "de-selection" process that replaces public voting.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read a couple of articles about the new senate. But until now I didn't read who made up these utterly stupid rules. The candidates are not allowed to inform the public who they are. Only senate candidates vote for senate candidates, etc. Who made these rules?

To me it looks like whoever made the rules didn't want that anybody is informed what is going on, and they surely didn't want that the senate represents the people. Who made the rules and how is it possible that nobody complained loud enough?

The post-dictator rules for change are the ruling class's rules for no-change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who made these rules?

The 2019 Constitution written by the junta government under NCPO Chief Gen. Prayut. Included are 50 senatorial positions not subject to change. Unless the Constitution can be amended with majority of current senators to provide for direct public voting, the Thavisin government cannot alter the manner of replacement of 200 junta-appointed senators, ie., by public elections. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The 2019 Constitution written by the junta government under NCPO Chief Gen. Prayut. Included are 50 senatorial positions not subject to change. Unless the Constitution can be amended with majority of current senators to provide for direct public voting, the Thavisin government cannot alter the manner of replacement of 200 junta-appointed senators, ie., by public elections. 

Thanks, does that mean the military made 10 years or so ago the rules how the senators will be elected now?

Maybe that is the case, I don't know, and I would like to know. 

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

does that mean the military made 10 years or so ago the rules how the senators will be elected now?

In short, yes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Well, you know why nobody is complaining.

Do you want to end up in jail ?😳