Thai Dishes Triumph in International Salad Ratings, Says TasteAtlas

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As Britain takes more interest in esoteric cuisine

Ok, is that the same guys who eat breakfast with bacon floating in fat?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Som tam, a staple of Thai cuisine, graced the 11th spot. This iconic Thai salad consists of green papaya, long beans, roasted peanuts, tomatoes, chilli, garlic, and dried shrimp

2648113018_5f958be079_b.jpg

This is Som tam Thai which is NOT a Thai staple. This is the som tam which is the staple. Issan som tam poo pla ra of course eaten with khoa neow.

image.jpeg.ae61a9863a3c65ffd96abf4b8823eed0.jpeg

Something tells me if the true staple was entered once that 'lovely' aromo of pla ra perviated the room there would be no one left to judge the dishes. Below is one of my favourites. Red ant egg salad.

Thai Food Ant Egg Tom Yam A Northern Speciality –, 60% OFF

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1

Hehehe.

When most Thai dishes are laced with the slow acting poison, the refined sugar that is, and with added MSG, so as to make people eat more of it, get fatter, contribute to the rise of diabetes, one could ask if these salads are an exception.

These food should be in a class of its own, competitive wise....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

2648113018_5f958be079_b.jpg

As Britain takes more interest in esoteric cuisine, TasteAtlas's recent release of their global 'Top 100 Salads Rankings' comes just in time. In particular, Thai dishes marked a prominent presence, with four of their offerings included.

Fresh on the heels of the release on May 6, foodies around the world are buzzing, with a special interest in the Thai representation. Classic Thai salads – som tam, som tam khai khem, phla kung, and yum woon sen – made their mark in 11th, 19th, 39th and 46th places respectively.

Som tam, a staple of Thai cuisine, graced the 11th spot. This iconic Thai salad consists of green papaya, long beans, roasted peanuts, tomatoes, chilli, garlic, and dried shrimp – a unique mix that has long enchanted taste buds around the globe. Despite its drop from 6th place last year, the continuing recognition of this vital Thai dish only reassures its popularity.

In an interesting twist, a second variant of som tam, dubbed som tam khai khem, featuring salted egg, also seized the 19th spot. Known for its vibrant flavours and added protein element, this variant seems to be rising in popularity, according to TasteAtlas.

Phla kung, a salad made with prawns that provides a balance of spicy, sour, and slightly sweet flavours, secured the 39th place. The presence of yum woon sen, a glass noodle and ground pork dish, at 46th place further cements the dominance of Thai cuisine in the salad sector.

The coveted top spot was clinched by Dakos, a Greek delight, for the second consecutive year, followed closely by salads from Tunisia, Greece again, China, and Bulgaria. This selection only goes to show the wide variety of vibrant and delicious salad dishes from all around the globe.

With Britain's increasing desire to explore foreign flavours, these accolades for Thai cuisine will only heighten interest and admiration. So, Brits might want to clear some room in their culinary diaries – looks like there's a taste of Thailand to be had.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And what are the first 10 or 20 dishes in the ranking?

For me I would rank high Portuguese and Spanish dishes.😊

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't know about others, but my interest in Thai salads is exactly 0%.

I eat them all the time, but to each his own. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Som Tam is hardly a salad?

On pretty much every English menu I've ever seen, it's consistently referred to as "papaya salad".

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This is Som tam Thai which is NOT a Thai staple.

Of course it is. Is som tam Lao more widely consumed? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that som tam Thai is extremely popular, especially outside of Isaan.

28 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

On pretty much every English menu I've ever seen, it's consistently referred to as "papaya salad".

Of course it is. Is som tam Lao more widely consumed? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that som tam Thai is extremely popular, especially outside of Isaan.

Yes. Som tam poo pra ra is eaten all over Thailand because there are Issan people all over Thailand and it's not just those from Issan that eat it. Som tam thai I do like especially on a hot day (which is pretty much everyday) with a cold beer. Pla ra I don't eat. There are varying types of som tam but if it says papaya salad then it's som tam thai.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Popular in Thailand.. most of the rest of the world prefer a real salad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What happened to Yam ยำ? I have several mango salad venues in Jomtien. Sour, sometimes pretty unbearably so, with added lime juice, sugarless, but sometimes with just slightly riper mango. Yum! With a chicken laab. Or crispy pork. Or.... Whatever! Love Thai salads. Lettuce? Bah.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_salads

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 12:06 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't know about others, but my interest in Thai salads is exactly 0%.

Quite partial to Laab Moo, or Nam Prik.