Touchy Subject... Something we don't want to think about...

Same as every country, abet, foreigner can't own land, but as already stated, she should have a will.   And added protection for you / OP @AcuDoc, maybe another trusted person's name on paperwork, unless of course you know who you can transfer to, if needed (if staying or till sold) within the 1 year grace period, and still live there.

This has already been discussed on so many threads, and all a bit of common sense.  Know the law and prepare for the worst.

My wife has will, and trusted daughter's name is on all important paperwork.  No worries, unless they both crap out in the same car crash.  Which case I just transfer to one of her 7 siblings till I sell it along with all the crap I inherit from my daughter.  If sold within the year, which it would be, then I wouldn't even have to transfer to one of wife's sisters.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AcuDoc said:

I am 70 years old and my wife is 39 so I am pretty sure and hope and pray that I am going to die before my wife

with that age gap im sure she hopes the same thing 🙂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Angus55 said:

Of course . As soon as you die you are no longer bringing money into the country .

VISA valid until end date, extension valid until reason for extension ends or end date if first.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have a Thai will, and an Australian will.

The Thai will leaves all assets ( mostly cash ) in Thailand to her. The Australian will leaves all assets there to my son.

pretty much what i am having drawn up... my us assets i'm doing 50% to my wife and 50% to the grandkids (2)... they both work hard and are also in the ex's family trust from my first wife, which to this day is still one of my closest friends, which will have them set for life... my thai wife will need the money more...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As her husband (a registered marriage, presumably) your wife's intestate estate would be split between you and your son but, as someone else pointed out, you'd have to dispose of any land you inherited, being a foreigner.   There is no document or provision for a foreigner to own the land in the intestate circumstance that you forsee.

does it matter that he is my step son... he is from her first husband... he is mine thru our

marriage...

Edited by AcuDoc

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR you can make a Thai will together with your wife and nominate who the house and land will do to if she dies before you. If you have legally adopted your wife's son by her first marriage (here I am not 100% certain), he will get the first chance, followed by her parents, followed by blood relatives (brothers and sisters in age), and then uncles and aunts, then your wife's cousins.

If your wife's son is underage he can still inherit the house and land though the court may appoint someone in the family as his guardian.

In a will any of them can be written out.

If the house and land are left to you alone, you are allowed 1 year to dispose of it.

Here is one link which you may find useful.

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/thai-family-and-marriage-law/legal-aspects-of-a-last-will-and-testament-in-thailand

You can also do an internet search along the lines of "What happens if my wife dies before me".

I hope that this is of some use to pointing in the right direction.

thanks so much... very useful info... i have not and will not adopt my "thai son"... he is a great kid but it is not something i am willing to do... again thanks for the great info

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, AcuDoc said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As her husband (a registered marriage, presumably) your wife's intestate estate would be split between you and your son but, as someone else pointed out, you'd have to dispose of any land you inherited, being a foreigner.   There is no document or provision for a foreigner to own the land in the intestate circumstance that you forsee.

does it matter that he is my step son... he is from her first husband... he is mine thru our

marriage...

No, he's her son, so he has the same entitlement as a biological child of you and your wife when she dies                          .

On 5/14/2024 at 4:35 PM, AcuDoc said:

We (I) bought land last year and we are going to build a house so when I die she has her own place... She never asked me to do, my wife is very low maintenance, this is something that I wanted to do for her. I am not a wealthy man, do not have a lot of money in the bank and still working in order to make money to build the house which if I wasn't married that money would be for my retirement...

Good grief. Just leave her the money and she can build a house herself.

You sound like you think she can't do anything without you to do it for her.

As for the land, you already know the answer. You don't own it, PERIOD. Up to the family to let you stay or not. Would you even want to live in the house if she wasn't around?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 11:35 AM, AcuDoc said:

So here is my question... worse case scenario if my wife dies for some reason what happens to the land, does it just go to her family... I know that as a farang I can't own land but is there a legal document that could have the land go to me or that it could be sold... I get along great with my in-laws and believe that they would let me live there until I die

As has already been said, have her accomplish a Will, with you designated as the inheritor of her house and land. Then go to the land office and record either a 30 year lease, or a usufruct, on the back of the Chanote.

Thus, the Will says you get the land. But, because you can't own it due to Thai law, you get "right of first disposition," meaning you can give it away to a relative, or sell it to a stranger. Makes no difference to you, at least for the next 30 years, as no one can remove you during that period, because of the lease (or even longer, if a usufruct). Only if you didn't want your relative to get the land would you sell it to a stranger -- and that would be at a substantial discount, since the stranger can't do much with that land, with your butt stuck on it for 30 years.

Edited by JimGant

1/ A Will
2/ A POA

You get one year to sell the house UNLESS you get a Usufruct for your life time - but then it goes to her family. If you want to get the money OUT then git it in a Will and sell - inconvenient but at least you get the $$$