Just what is life like in Rural Thailand- ever wondered ?

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And whenever I am there, visiting the girlfriend's family, latest after an hour I like to get away again.

The problem is,  if you're far enough into the country, there may not be any place  nearby to escape to.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Galong said:

After a week or so of living in a hut and dealing with the inevitable noisy neighbors, I'm sure I'd be ready to a reverse 'Green Acres'. 

the real joke of rural Thailand is that the people are terrors to live around. Noisy, burning things, trash everywhere, being stupid and drunk. It kind of defeats the purpose of living in a scenic area when the people do so much to ruin it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

It doesn't matter to me were they return to,  but they obviously cannot exist in a totally foreign environment,  living in those places is hardly living in Thailand, when surrounded by other foreigners, with all the western "essentials" close to hand,  Most can't even count to ten in Thai,  truly pathetic  Its obvious you are one of them, like a fish out of water

Chiang Mai has a small but increasing slice which has any foreigners at all. It's a massive sprawling city and in most areas you'll see no foreigners, maybe once every few days. Sure since boomers started retiring and lots of YouTube videos made I think some areas are tourists ghettos these days but that's easy to avoid. Sad though those places got wrecked by tourism.

10 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

It's not the only option --if you live in a Mid size rural town like say Udon Thani--Pop 500,000---outer area about 1.5 Mil- IMO you have best of both, it would take me under 10 min to leave the town and be in the country side--in the town about about 30 Farang type bars, many western restaurants. Shopping center's Robinson's-Villa's Mackro's-Tesco's   etc 35 minute drive you are into Nong Khai sitting on the Mekong and the Lao capital Vientiane just across the bridge from it. Bar's restaurants (and lots of Lao Girls there)  There used to be an old joke when I first came here-"if you come across a girl and she doesn't have a mobile phone or any gold, then you have crossed the boarder into Laos by mistake" 

They (Lao's) have the high speed train --go across their county to some lovely spots  Luang Prabang etc no time-or into China

If you head the other way then Khon Kean-- If I was young that would certainly  be on my list---I think more universities per population then any where else--more Uni's = more young girls, as they seem to make up about 70% of the students.

. Been in Thailand about 26 years, first 6-7 years around BKK &  Pattaya would never knock both places, had a great time,  but after a  while met someone (working in a French restaurant of all places)  broken marriage like me-- but had a small child living with her mother--after living together for a few years decided we would take the child back, but I didn't want to bring a young girl up in Pattaya so looked around.

Could I live completely Rural like the article --no--brought up in London, but this  option is nice, and there are many other mid size towns just like it throughout Thailand .

I hear you and agree 100%.  We are less than 20 odd minutes to everything in Khon Kean - out West past the airport. I agree that this is the best way to live as a couple in Thailand (not as a single). I could not live on a remote farm with the nearest big city many hours away - but this guy likes it - for now - lets see how he goes when he is 60+.  

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I have lived in very rural Isaan for two years. Beautiful home, loving and affectionate wife, beautiful countryside.....her house and land, all bought with her money, not mine so I live virtually 'free'.....and yet I am seriously looking at giving it all up.

I would not recommend anyone moves here.....but I do accept some people love it.....each to his own I guess.

is that because the of the people misbehaving or just because of lack of modern living?

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I have lived in very rural Isaan for two years. Beautiful home, loving and affectionate wife, beautiful countryside.....her house and land, all bought with her money, not mine so I live virtually 'free'.....and yet I am seriously looking at giving it all up.

I would not recommend anyone moves here.....but I do accept some people love it.....each to his own I guess.

Maybe as per @oxo1947 and myself and many others, living in a semi-rural area within 30 minutes or so of a big city with all its services and attractions is an option for you and wife.  I am sure the family will make good use of the house/land while you two are away, and there is always the option of going back if things dont work out. Moving furniture etc is cheap in Thailand - especially if you have relos or friends with a few covered utes/vans.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SamuiAddict said:

The only thing I really HATE about living here is the fkin music!  Everyone seems to have huge sound systems, some in their homes, some mounted on trucks etc and it seems like the louder and more powerful it is the more people will be impressed.  Even the temples play music from 5am sometimes.

exactly it's a nightmare. Rural north is not as bad as I think but there's still a hardcore redneck culture in rural Thailand.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:51 PM, Hummin said:

Oh my, to good to be true, but I have same experiences, except from mid february beginning of march when the heat sets in, and the fire show starts until august - september. There is good days between, but the longer I stay, the more affected I became of the clima and burning. We always travelled often in Thailand, but now Im travelling frequently more back home to escape the heat. 

Family and village people are friendly, never had one bad incident, or any problem. Best thing no close neighbours, but still affected when there is funerals, budda days, weddings, and other celebrations and parties which goes on for days.

with Two big shopping days a month I get what I need from Makro and Tops. Which is a roundtrip of 180km

But living like this is not for everybody, even Im born on a farm, it is not a walk in the park.

If you do not have any interests and get up in the morning, it is easy to be bored to death. 

Motorbikes, large well equippet home gym, farm work, animals and travels make life better and more interesting.

Still Im making a plan for after my 70'ies, or when I know my time is up in Isaan to make a move. Where I do not know yet, since things can change before that. 

Most important, do not get stuck

The biggest drawback up here in the boonies is the amount of underage motorbike riders as there are very little if any, police about.

I have to say though that apart from the disgraceful road behaviour, I can't think of any crimes that have been committed in the 17 years I have lived here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The biggest drawback up here in the boonies is the amount of underage motorbike riders as there are very little if any, police about.

I have to say though that apart from the disgraceful road behaviour, I can't think of any crimes that have been committed in the 17 years I have lived here.

Yeah thats definitely another problem, and the older drivers as well.  I've noticed that the way to pull out of a road round here is - just head straight out, don't stop, no indicators, if the road is clear get into your lane but if cars are coming just drive the wrong way down the side of the road.  Almost everyone does this.  A lot of people also cut right across you when turning in etc, had a few near misses, luckily I'm a good driver.  The kids just drive everywhere fast - and put holes in the exhaust so their 110cc crap bike sounds like a fighter jet haha

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 1:18 PM, PJ71 said:

This looks like a biased view to me.

I live in rural thailand and also prefer it to the hustle and bustle but the negatives i have are:

- power cuts almost as soon as it rains

- lack of western foods ( this does not concern me much )

- no agents for visa issues

- trips to bangkok when needed can be a trek

- lack of local airport

- lack of socializing with other expats ( this does not concern me but may some )

- limited options for house furniture

- poor quality of workmanship of trades ( could be said for all Thailand )

- dangerous farm vehicles on the roads

Most of what you have said is true. When I first came here there were plenty of farangs here and in the surrounding area, now I am the only one left here as all the rest have either died or moved away.

I do have to say that I have been very impressed by the workmanship and good prices involving work done around my property since I came here.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Most crimes is done by police and their boys (drugs) and family relation violence. 

Theft of fish and crops, stealing wood, illegal hunting, 

Never experienced anything either, but we have 3 dogs, and if we are not there, her parents live at our place 24/7. Always one at our farm. Not me or m gf decision, but her parents, and Im happy they feel that responsibility for our farm and us.

Since day one when we started to build, her father slept on location, and built his little bamboo shelter to sleep.

Two stray dogs kept him with company, and are now two of our trusted guardian dogs. 

"Theft of fish and crops, stealing wood, illegal hunting," Yes that probably goes on, but I don't hear about it. 

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I remember having to climb onto the roof of my ex's Isaan house in order to get a mobile phone signal to check my email....

Next time I brought emergency rations in the boot of my car because her mom used to feed me fish heads for lunch (she did actually like me!).

She gave you fish heads for lunch because she liked you??

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Was it like in the movies where you had to keep making various excuses to leave, and then race back and forth between both on the same night?

That would be hard to pull off.

Totally off-topic, but yonks ago I did that in Bangkok.  Shared a condo with a Thai woman (now ex #3).  Every morning "Off to the gym darling" and I would run round to another apartment block and jump into bed with another Thai woman (now ex #2).

What on earth was I thinking?!  It all ended when #3 found compromising emails on my computer that she thought were from #2, but actually were from #4.......

The noughties were fun, to a point!!