Question about parking a car in thailand

16 hours ago, Dan O said:

is it a diesel? I have had that happen with my diesel because the exhaust was blowing into a shop and the smell was really bad.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

How do it in your home country?

In many EU countries you would be fined!

But hey, it's Thailand. No rules, no laws? No politeness?

You should not stay here🙏

👄  :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bluejets said:

Don't be such an arrogant ignorant a-hole.

The guy was merely asking for advice, is that your usual reply to a polite question .  Or just the one you use when you don't know the answer but would like to indulge in a bit of virtue signalling?  Apparently  a self appointed D.I.Y. "expert"    perhaps you should limit your replies to questions relating to that subject.  

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

When you get home leave your car running in the drive and get a nice comfy lawn chair and sit it about 2 meters from the back of your truck... Have a nice sit for about 20 minutes and ponder your initial question...

Btw... Don't try this in a closed garage as it could kill you... :coffee1:

Considering modern diesels are all fitted with catalytic converters it could be a very very slow death

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

How do it in your home country?

In many EU countries you would be fined!

But hey, it's Thailand. No rules, no laws? No politeness?

You should not stay here🙏

How things are done in ones own country are of course irrelevant, likewise the penalties for noncompliance in EU countries.  "But hey"  you got one thing right, this is indeed Thailand, They do indeed have their own laws, and those are the only  laws one needs to concern oneself  with.

It is not you who dictates who should or should not stay here, 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, luckywooman said:

Yes it’s diesel from year 2020

Most countries in the world have the regulation to have the engine running when the car is standing still (idling) max 1 minute. Not because of the smell but because of the air pollution that we have already. If it is to warm in the car for you then go out of the car!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KannikaP said:
17 hours ago, Crossy said:

In an EV you (or your dog) can sit in the cool for as long as you like without upsetting anyone with fumes :whistling:

Only to find that you do not have enough juice left to get you home. 555

You should have researched that...  (as should the people who gave your comment a 'love').

Various answers on this... running your AC in an EV for an hour or so will not drain the battery

The average EV can run the AC for 5-8 hours and only use up 10-30% of the battery.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If I get to the mall indoor parking before mall opens, SUV or truck both diesel stays running with cool AC blowing. When I pick up my kid from school and have to wait 20 minutes, diesel SUV stays running AC blowing. As does most everyone else parked near me.

Some folks are just too thin skinned. I suppose some vehicles are poorly tuned and smoke, my vehicles are properly maintained and are not bothersome. 

No, you're wrong. Any diesel SUV is bothersome to people in range of the fumes - they are filthy and disgusting.

Let me guess, you drive a Fortuner?

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Some folks are just too thin skinned. I suppose some vehicles are poorly tuned and smoke, my vehicles are properly maintained and are not bothersome. 

Then you shouldn't mind sitting in an enclosed garage for a length of time with your engine running... 

My car is diesel... its irrelevant how well tuned your car is, B7 stinks...  I fully understand that people nearby do not want to breather in those fumes...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luckywooman said:

What’s the right thing to do? Do I have to shut off my car when I’m parked? I like the cool air 😅

The short answer is: YES.
However, if you buy an electric car, it might be okay to leave the engine running for cooling air.

• Haha 1

You don’t have to shut off your car in Thailand. Every Thai runs their car for ages I’ve even seen them parked at parties and run them all night for christs sake. Poor op got so much bad advice just run it. Ignore anyone who says anything. When in Rome. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The short answer is: YES.
However, if you buy an electric car, it might be okay to leave the engine running for cooling air.

would it be best to leave the engine of an electric car running to avoid draining the battery too  ? lol

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

No, you're wrong. Any diesel SUV is bothersome to people in range of the fumes - they are filthy and disgusting.

They are neither filthy or disgusting in my opinion   

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

You don’t have to shut off your car in Thailand. Every Thai runs their car for ages I’ve even seen them parked at parties and run them all night for christs sake. Poor op got so much bad advice just run it. Ignore anyone who says anything. When in Rome. 

Fill your boots and highlight to everyone on here how you are as antisocial as the Op... 

....  are you one of those people who will comfortably irritate others through antisocial behavior ?... Loud-Music bothering neighbors, smoking in restaurants etc ?...  'cos when in Rome.... :whistling:

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

They are neither filthy or disgusting in my opinion   

Stand behind one for a while then come back here.

Filthy, smelly, disgusting - that is undebatable.

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

would it be best to leave the engine of an electric car running to avoid draining the battery too  ? lol

They don't have an "engine". And it is fine to leave the AC running in one - it has marginal effect on the battery. I think you don't understand the massive energy packed in to an ICE battery pack. You can charge an iPhone more than 50 times for around 1% of charge of a typical EV.