Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

Rishi Sunak resigns knowing full well Labour will win by a landslide, why?

Maybe he knows what is coming and wants to get his family safe somewhere, add this to yesterday's news in the British press, warning people to "prep" for emergencies, China now openly supplying Russia

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you think that is a good idea? I do not. NZ apparently has a lot of troops overseas as observers, which IMO is acceptable, but I don't agree to western nations picking sides around the world or that contributing to the military industrial complex is a good deal for the tax payer.

I absolutely think we need defense forces, but they should stay at home and not be teaching other nations how to kill people.

Defense forces are essential in natural catastrophes, if nothing else.

a good idea, no, but that's the role you have to play when you are part of allies, who have a strong economy who are trying to have a good position in a continuously competing world about resources and markets. And nothing new, just how Empires work, and you have enemies who try hard to stop you and break you down. It is all about world politics and world economics. 

Do we want to be part of Nato and part of Usa wealth? Or do we want to stay outside? What are our options then? Parting with China? Russia ? Freedom doesnt comes for free, you have to secure it  and figtht for it

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but Xi keeps insisting they are "neutral"

Lethal equipment flown from China to Russia for use in Ukraine, says Shapps

https://au.yahoo.com/news/lethal-equipment-flown-china-russia-095918429.html

I think regarding weapon sales they are neutral: he'd probably sell to Ukraine as well if they ask.

22 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

This is my last post on this subject

I woke up to a wet and overcast morning but the sun immediately broke through the clouds when I saw this post.

21 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

He has lied and is too dishonest to admit it. 🥴

Alas, it’s overcast again. ‘‘Twas but a lie. I should have guessed.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but Xi keeps insisting they are "neutral"

Lethal equipment flown from China to Russia for use in Ukraine, says Shapps

https://au.yahoo.com/news/lethal-equipment-flown-china-russia-095918429.html

I have it on good authority that China is exporting hundreds of thousands of the latest, most technologically advanced dual use shovels to Russia. It has a brand new design, ergonomic handles and reinforced steel shafts to minimise bending when hit on a hard object, like a helmet.

When asked, the spokesman said, we are only one minor, inconsequential country supplying our latest innovation to our partner whilst there are over 40 countries supplying theirs to the other side.

• Confused 4
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

I have it on good authority that China is exporting hundreds of thousands of the latest, most technologically advanced dual use shovels to Russia. It has a brand new design, ergonomic handles and reinforced steel shafts to minimise bending when hit on a hard object, like a helmet.

When asked, the spokesman said, we are only one minor, inconsequential country supplying our latest innovation to our partner whilst there are over 40 countries supplying theirs to the other side.

"I have it on good authority" 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yet more "stories"...........🤔

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

that should have been done long, very long time ago

US working with EU to counter China on its Russia support, overcapacity, say Antony Blinken and Janet Yellen

https://au.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-working-eu-counter-china-093000271.html

Personally, I would love to see the US and EU completely decouple from China. I recently read somewhere that something like 40% of US exports actually rely on imported goods, a lot of which comes from China.

China is the top trading partner for over 120 countries worldwide. In an all out trade war, China will suffer less than the U.S. But sadly, the Chinese government is very patient and farsighted. They know that the current trajectory will slowly but surely chip away at the US hegemony without causing themselves too much pain. They dumped 53 billion dollars of bonds in the 1st quarter of 2024, the highest ever. 

If I was more cynical, I would think that the Chinese government is actually playing the game of death by a thousand cuts with the collective west.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, rabas said:

(btw, the sads aren't mine) 

So ,how would Ukraine keep Russia out of Ukraine (my point) without Ukrainian soldiers?  You go full soundbite about the US killing Ukrainians and nuking the world, while ignoring Putin's brutal illegitimate invasion and war on Ukrainian civilians and their homes, etc. See video.

You must manually insert the video URL in a browser, it shows civilian bodies.

https://x.com/Alfaiomi/status/1793254414204981350

There are brutal wars all over the planet right now, Sudan, Burma, etc, but the US isn't sending them billions of $ worth of aid. Ukraine isn't our business any more than them ( no treaties ). It's hypocritical to claim that Ukraine has a right to western assistance while ignoring other evil conflicts.

The only difference I see is that the Burmese hill tribes can't use million $ weapons so the profits are probably not worth getting into the conflict, and then there is the unavoidable comparison in skin colour.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:13 PM, Mavideol said:

that should have been done long, very long time ago

US working with EU to counter China on its Russia support, overcapacity, say Antony Blinken and Janet Yellen

https://au.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-working-eu-counter-china-093000271.html

If Blinken is involved I wouldn't put too much importance on it. IMO he's just a big bag of wind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I woke up to a wet and overcast morning but the sun immediately broke through the clouds when I saw this post.

Alas, it’s overcast again. ‘‘Twas but a lie. I should have guessed.

It's just so disappointing, isn't it, when certain posters don't keep their word?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You should be more cynical then.

The time to stop China becoming what it is now was before Nixon opened up their ability to join the world. Far too late now. We gave them all the money they are using to build their military- more fools us.

you are completely clueless.
there is no stopping the development of a nation of almost 1.5 billion people as vast as China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tgw said:

More lack of clues here.
Obviously, some conflicts are more important than others. I'm not saying the death and suffering is less important, but the conflicts' consequences on global geopolitics. Ukraine is the most important conflict by far and will have far reaching consequences.

It is indeed important to the USA to station nukes there - that's what all this is about - the USA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

nonsense.

no US nukes were ever stationed east of the former border with Eastern Germany.
and I don't expect that to change.
but Putin stationed nukes in Belarus recently. Putin is the one doing it.

I meant in the future plans. You know very well NATO was going to do that.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2