Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

There are reports of a pocket of isolated Russian troops in Vovchansk, trapped in an industrial area. 

Usually such pockets disappear with no subsequent reports of large numbers of captured Russian soldiers, maybe this time will be different.

The overall theme is that the Russians are retreating in the Kharkhiv direction.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rabas said:

Lol. Shoot the messenger, and miss! 

He is a tenured Professor of Business.

With various degrees in Government and Psychology, Public Policy, Entrepreneurship, and PhD in Organizational Leadership, he's probably as well qualified to discuss Russian propaganda in the US as anyone.

As hopefully you know, Russian propaganda is historical, storied, and ubiquitous.   

I hope you are not implying that the west and Ukraine are not using propaganda.

I assume everything from both sides is propaganda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

which is as wrong as assuming one side isn't using propaganda.

Ruzzian shills always try very hard to morally equate Ruzzia to Ukraine. no chance pal, and no better luck next time either.

It's quite revealing though that "moral equivalence" is the ultimate goal of ruscists' propaganda. They don't even try for more because they already know their place on the moral ladder.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you are not implying that the west and Ukraine are not using propaganda.

Western propaganda isn't of the blatant sort of downright lies that you would see from authoritarian regimes. But it is the shaping of the narrative , by the sin of ommission and ensuring that the career ladders of journalists and opinion formers  only get to rise up that by accepting and reinforcing that narrative that is paid for by the billionaires who own the commanding media and in whose intersts it is served.The most cogent analyis was that of Chomsky in his interview with Andrew Marr many years ago.  After the Vietnam war western goverments made sure any journalists in a war zone get carefully choreographed and selected so that the news they report is that which they want us to see. There will be no more John Pilger's that door is firmly shut.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

But the bigger concern for Mr. Zelensky is that Mr. Biden, with whom his relationship has often been contentious, might be at his last Group of 7 summit. And buried in the fine print of the security agreement they signed with flair lies this paragraph: “Either Party may terminate this Agreement by providing a written notification through diplomatic channels” that would “take effect 6 months after.”

That is exactly the kind of loophole that former President Donald J. Trump exploited with the Iran nuclear agreement, which he abandoned in 2018. Mr. Trump has made no secret of his disdain for Ukraine or his desire to rid the United States of a huge financial commitment there. Instead, he has insisted he could end the war in 24 hours — presumably by telling Mr. Putin he can keep the territory he has already seized.

https://archive.ph/tCQce

Screenshot 2024-06-14 094747.jpg

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

There’s going to be a price to be paid by all these actions that the collective west (and Japan sadly, actually strike out sadly) is undertaking. I heard recently that Stoltenberg is now advocating for mandatory contributions instead of just voluntary donations. When the west should be focusing on improving their economies and living standards for their citizens, they are pouring their very limited funds into the endless pit of militarisation against an imagined enemy.

Personally, I love all these moves they are taking to self destruct. The dominance of western nations are ending, like with all previous empires as history has shown. We are now entering an era of multipolarity with the global majority coming to the fore, led by China and supported by the other members of BRICS+ (although I don’t trust India in the slightest - a lifetime of experience has taught me so).

It’s really a blessing that there isn’t a single western leader with the intelligence, foresight and gumption to buck the trend. 

Victor Orban has been given the option by NATO to be in it but opt out of paying for Ukraine as long as he doesn't veto it. Imagine that caught on with other countries it is having your cake and eating it. If Trump wins in November the all bets are off and the odds are a coin toss at the moment.

27 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

As the Russian economy sinks, more Russian men join the army out of financial desperation.

Putin is doing a great job as an army recruiter.

Very interesting. Where did you get this nugget from? One of the many clickbait links that @rabas likes to share with us? I googled Russian economy and got the following result:

Russia's economy is growing, but can it last?

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4nn7pej9jyo

I read elsewhere that Russia has now even overtaken Japan in terms of PPP to become the 4th largest in the world. If true, this would mean that the BRICS countries comprise 3 of the 4 largest economies in terms of PPP. No wonder the west is worried.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

So first you state Russia can not realistically gain anything, then you state Ukraine will lose if they continue fighting.

Looks like you're lost in your own thoughts, not yet fully accepting a dawning realty.

Which is ?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Very interesting. Where did you get this nugget from? One of the many clickbait links that @rabas likes to share with us? I googled Russian economy and got the following result:

Russia's economy is growing, but can it last?

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4nn7pej9jyo

I read elsewhere that Russia has now even overtaken Japan in terms of PPP to become the 4th largest in the world. If true, this would mean that the BRICS countries comprise 3 of the 4 largest economies in terms of PPP. No wonder the west is worried.

You read elsewhere...............😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1