Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

Posted (edited)

So far only Reuters are claiming this in the last few hours, and other agencies have got the story from them.  Somehow, I don't think they'll take his offer, even if it is confirmed.

"Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with a ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines, four Russian sources have told the Reuters news agency...

...according to two of the sources who spoke to Reuters, Mr Putin thinks recent gains in the war are enough to sell a victory to the Russian people. "

The sources also claim that Russia could carry on the war if they wanted to, but that would involve another mobilisation, which Putin doesn't favour.  So all would be forgiven and forgotten, and they'll be friends again?  I have a bridge to Crimea for sale to anyone who believes that.

Vladimir Putin ready to 'freeze' war in Ukraine with ceasefire recognising recent Russian gains, sources say | World News | Sky News

And straight from the Reuters mouth here, including this summary:

image.png.7637e5323584b9b0ea097795c9349922.png

Exclusive: Putin wants Ukraine ceasefire on current frontlines | Reuters

Edited by ballpoint
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The weapon missing from the Ukrainian arsenal is something that can detect and destroy MANPADs in the front lines. Russians have loads of those that can take out any nearby aircraft, which deter Ukraine from using aircraft near the front lines.

The long range Russian anti-aircraft assets are being taken out, but the short range portable systems need to be taken out. To the point where using a MANPAD is a death sentence.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:01 PM, rabas said:

Rogue Russia threatens the world, not just Ukraine

Your turn, please provide evidence that Burmese hill tribes are a threat.

Rogue Russia threatens the world, not just Ukraine

Surely, surely you can't be serious?

Russia almost got whupped at the beginning of the Ukraine invasion and you think they can invade the rest of the world.

Excuse me while I have :coffee1:.

It's called propaganda, BTW.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

"At least two people have been killed and 35 others wounded after Russian forces hit a supermarket in the northern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv with two glide bombs, local officials say"

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg33y9eedz7o

Ukraine target military, Russia civilians

I said a while back that if Ukraine targeted facilities in Russia they could expect a response. IMO this is part of the response.

They have already destroyed much of Ukraine's electricity generation and will likely continue to do so, but seems that isn't enough to dissuade  Ukraine from drones in Russia.

I'm not saying it's right to do so, but annoy the bear and expect a swipe or two in return.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, rabas said:

The Kremlin routinely feigns interest in meaningful negotiations as part of a longstanding information operation ...

The Kremlin will continue to feign interest in negotiations at critical moments in the war to influence Western decision-making ...

Sounds like what the US does. There are no clean hands in this conflict.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2