1,882 new COVID-19 hospitalisations and 16 deaths in the last week

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand is experiencing a significant but underreported surge in COVID-19 cases, with both public and private hospitals feeling the strain as outpatient and inpatient admissions rise. This trend mirrors situations in other countries like Singapore, the UK, the US, Australia, Canada, and France, driven by new variants from the KP lineage (e.g., KP.1, KP.2, KP.3).

Governments worldwide, including Thailand, are often downplaying the severity of this surge, with some manipulating COVID data. Despite claims from health authorities that new KP variants are not more transmissible or immune evasive, the increasing severity and hospitalisation rates suggest otherwise.

From May 12 to 18, 2024, Thailand reported 1,882 new COVID hospitalisations, averaging 269 per day, with many patients requiring ICU care, supplemental oxygen, or mechanical ventilation. The elderly and those with comorbidities are particularly at risk. During this period, there were also 16 new COVID-19 deaths.

The actual spread of the virus in Thailand could be more extensive than reported, as there is no data on total infections, positivity rates, ICU admissions, or ventilator use. Private hospital data indicates higher COVID admission rates than official reports, reminiscent of the Delta variant surge.

Long COVID poses a significant threat, with potential long-term impacts on Thailand’s healthcare infrastructure. The KP variants are more adapted for viral persistence, potentially leading to severe health issues like organ failure, neurological problems, strokes, blood clots, sepsis, and cancers.

Since the start of 2024, 16,819 patients have been hospitalised in Thailand due to COVID complications, with 120 deaths reported. With upcoming holidays and school reopenings, experts predict a continued rise in cases, further stressing the healthcare system. Lax health screenings at airports and borders may also contribute to the spread of new variants.

Continued vigilance

Continued vigilance and robust response measures are crucial as Thailand navigates this challenging period. For the latest updates, you can visit Thailand Medical News to stay on top of the updates.

Photo by Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And I guess there are many members here who will downplay the danger of infection.....

unless they get sick.🙏

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

And I guess there are many members here who will downplay the danger of infection.....

unless they get sick.🙏

I just got over it. It was pretty bad. I’d put it just a smidge under we should not stop the world for it, however 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, madmitch said:

But is there any hysteria in any of those countries? It hardly gets a mention in the UK and certailnly doesn't make mainstream news. 

Basically, Thailand operates in the narrow little bubble of it's own language and culture. And superstition.

Some "prominent" guy in a white coat and backed by some important-sounding acronym can say anything he wants, and it will go unchallenged here.

Edited by stats
unsourced conspiracy theory claim removed
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It hardly gets a mention in the UK and certailnly doesn't make mainstream news. 

Guess that depends on how much you follow the news, and what sources you follow. UK still running almost 100 COVID deaths per week:

Surge in Covid cases prompt fears of a mini-wave

Proportion of people testing positive for the virus has jumped from 4.6 per cent to 7.1 per cent in the space of a week

May 2, 2024

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/surge-covid-cases-prompt-fears-mini-wave-3037684?ITO=newsnow

NHS in England facing ‘storm of pressure’ as flu and Covid cases surge

Average of 3,631 patients in hospital with Covid during Christmas week, data shows, a rise of 57% in a month

Dec. 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/29/nhs-england-storm-of-pressure-flu-covid-cases-surge

UKHSA current info:

Screenshot_2.jpg.469443667a643494ef2162b74de1a09f.jpg

https://ukhsa-dashboard.data.gov.uk/

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Yes, people still get covid but for most people it's slightly worse than a typical cold but nowhere near as bad as flu.

Think again... the issue already has been addressed earlier in this thread:

Study: COVID Still Deadlier Than the Flu -- But the Gap Is Narrowing

"...5.7% of patients with COVID-19 died within 30 days of admission versus 4.24% of patients with influenza, reported Ziyad Al-Aly, MD, of the VA St. Louis Health Care System, and colleagues.

"After adjusting for variables, the risk of death in people hospitalized for COVID-19 was 35% higher (adjusted HR 1.35, 95% CI 1.10-1.66), the authors detailed in a research letter in JAMA.

"...there were nearly twice as many hospitalizations for COVID-19 compared with the flu for the 2023-2024, according to CDC surveillance data."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1327600-study-covid-still-deadlier-than-the-flu-but-the-gap-is-narrowing/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Agree 1

A post with an unsourced and unsubstantiated claim has been removed.

Per the forum's rules:

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

Posted (edited)

Fear mongering and conspiracy done to death, not for me thanks.

Oh,  go on then.

I find it strange that selective historic topics cannot be accessed anymore - from source.

Flip flop back pedaling ?

It's a shame all the uneducated / unsourced opinions and advice from those times can't be untaken.

I'll leave you all to it.

Screenshot_20240520-155649_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240520-155822_Chrome.jpg

Edited by stats
off topic trolling comments removed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello,

What I dont understand is its difficult to find a vaccine booster !! ??? In Nakhon Ratchisma Regoin , Why ? Anyone have info to a location in this Province ? 🙂

You might try asking your regional MoPH office there...  or calling the MoPH COVID hotline at 1422... Last time I checked with them a month ago, the MoPH folks in BKK didn't know of any specific availability outside of BKK.... 

But, private hospitals now DO have the ability to obtain the new COVID vaccines and provide them for a fee -- if they want to... Even if the Thai government isn't doing so. Bumrungrad and Praram 9 hospitals are doing so in BKK.

• Like 1

There's an article on BP worth a read before pressing any panic buttons. This is the basic message. More contagious (typical of Omicron), still mild symptoms (typical of Omicron) and the at risk group are still the at risk group (typical of Omicron). In parentheses is my addition.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There's an article on BP worth a read before pressing any panic buttons. This is the basic message. More contagious (typical of Omicron), still mild symptoms (typical of Omicron) and the at risk group are still the at risk group (typical of Omicron). In parentheses is my addition.

I'll feel better when Thailand doesn't have 588 COVID cases currently hospitalized in serious condition (as per the OP post here) -- a number that's its highest since at least the start of 2023 and four times the number (144) occurring at the start of 2024 (shown in purple below).

Week of Dec. 31, 2023 to Jan. 6, 2024:

Screenshot_4.jpg.3e0b1e7ec64f13f1254158fc5ef82f97.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

And as the OP in this thread reported:

"Thailand is experiencing a significant but underreported surge in COVID-19 cases, with both public and private hospitals feeling the strain as outpatient and inpatient admissions rise.

Governments worldwide, including Thailand, are often downplaying the severity of this surge, with some manipulating COVID data. Despite claims from health authorities that new KP variants are not more transmissible or immune evasive, the increasing severity and hospitalisation rates suggest otherwise."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

unless they get sick.🙏

The fact is it's a non-severe virul infection for the overwhelming majority. This is what it is now. Once again this artice gives no detail of comorbities of those who have died and again i wonder how many of those hospitalised are going to hospital for something else and then testing postive. More detail is needed but overall the numbers are still very small in a population of 70,000,000.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

And one member laughed at me when I said I took a Covid test following a bad bout of coughing and spluttering.

I did lots of coughing and spluttering when pm2.5 was at very high levels.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ryandb said:

Not this bs again, I've never had one and never had covid once or been sick in the 4 plus years over this hypercondriacs wet dream people are living in, it's a cold unless you have underlying health problems, if you do, treat them or act accordingly.

You might never have had one (a vaccine?) during the 'hypochondriac's (correct spelling, by the way) wet dream', but over 7 million have died. I doubt they all had 'underlying health problems'. So count yourself lucky, but do not state that, just because you didn't get sick, Covid 19 wasn't a problem for others. 

Coronavirus Death Toll and Trends - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The fact is it's a non-severe virul infection for the overwhelming majority. This is what it is now. Once again this artice gives no detail of comorbities of those who have died and again i wonder how many of those hospitalised are going to hospital for something else and then testing postive. More detail is needed but overall the numbers are still very small in a population of 70,000,000.

Yeah, the same nonsense as from every Covid-non believer or those who deny the virus. 

It's a virus, man. And damage more or less your body or parts of it. Even think of Long COVID.

Ignorance doesn't help.

And if YOU will get it you're complaining: I didn't know that it would hit me so severe.🙏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ryandb said:

Not this bs again, I've never had one and never had covid once or been sick in the 4 plus years over this hypercondriacs wet dream people are living in, it's a cold unless you have underlying health problems, if you do, treat them or act accordingly.

So having not had it, you are effectively commenting in ignorance.  Not that I believe it is worthy of the mass hysteria but it is far from just a cold as you state and affects different people in different ways.  Having had it myself 3 times (the last time being about 6 weeks ago), it has never really hit me that seriously although the last time/variant, I wasn't capable of anything other than sleeping and binge watching Netflix for a week.  On the other hand I have a mate who was a strong fit guy in his mid 30s, who spent 7 days in an induced coma during the early infection wave and states that it has affected him long term.  Tell him to his face that he's a hypochondriac and he'd drop you where you stood and most probably send you to ICU for a week. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I did lots of coughing and spluttering when pm2.5 was at very high levels.

And bad air, such as Thailand has seasonally, makes COVID worse!

Even low levels of air pollution tied to longer COVID-19 hospital stay

Adult COVID-19 patients exposed to air pollution spent an average of 4 extra days in the hospital, further overwhelming health systems, concludes a Belgian study published ...  in the European Respiratory Journal.

"Our findings indicate that people who were exposed to air pollution, even at relatively low levels, were sicker and needed more time in hospital to recover," senior author Tim Nawrot, PhD, of Hasselt University, said in a European Respiratory Society press release.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/even-low-levels-air-pollution-tied-longer-covid-19-hospital-stay

7 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Yeah, the same nonsense as from every Covid-non believer or those who deny the virus. 

It's a virus, man. And damage more or less your body or parts of it. Even think of Long COVID.

Ignorance doesn't help.

And if YOU will get it you're complaining: I didn't know that it would hit me so severe.🙏

You do realise that the common cold is a virus don't you? By the way I'm not a covid non believer as you say. It exists. It's a virus. It's now Omicron and has been for as long time and it's a highly contagious, non-severe virus for the overwheming majority. 

p.s. I've had covid at least twice. Once Delta and the other time Omicron. Not pleasant I'll admit but neither was the flu when I had that or severe headcolds when I've had them. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

There should no longer be any "danger of infection", as the overwhelming majority of people are multiple-jabbed, which was, according to the "scientific" community, the politicians and the media of the entire planet, the only way to "put Covid behind us".

So surely Covid is behind us, right?

Or were we lied to?

At the peak of the pandemic, 25,000 people per week were dying of COVID in the U.S. Now that figure in recent weeks was less than 500.

Screenshot_4.jpg.d6d5fccffd6c22ba9c08b8a90a3bc1c3.jpg

Source:

What was done worked!  But once respiratory viruses emerge, they rarely if ever totally disappear. COVID likely is with the world, albeit at reduced levels, for the long haul.

WHO chief declares end to COVID-19 as a global health emergency

5 May 2023

The head of the UN World Health Organization (WHO) has declared “with great hope” an end to COVID-19 as a public health emergency, stressing that it does not mean the disease is no longer a global threat.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/05/1136367

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You do realise that the common cold is a virus don't you? By the way I'm not a covid non believer as you say. It exists. It's a virus. It's now Omicron and has been for as long time and it's a highly contagious, non-severe virus for the overwheming majority. 

p.s. I've had covid at least twice. Once Delta and the other time Omicron. Not pleasant I'll admit but neither was the flu when I had that or severe headcolds when I've had them. 

Good luck👏