Bangkok holds five-day Pride fest to boost LGBTQ+ tourism

webfact

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why not seek all tourists...  why specifically LBGQT+ ????  (more on that below)

There are cries for equality - so why can't you accept it when someone suggest the LBGQT+ are treated equally....   and that means no special treatment and no negative treatment. 

Perhaps the reason there is some backlash by some against the LBGQT+ communities is because of over sensitive mouth pieces crying bigotry at those with a balanced opinion.

IF this article were about specifically coveting married couples, you might be amongst the first on this forum to cry discrimination - and if you were, on that point, I'd agree with you.

This idea that those of LBGQT+ spend more so attracting them specifically is flawed... it would be the same as specifically coveting 'Arab' tourists if they were found to spend more... and that is flawed...   

Thailand makes billions from back-packers... particularly as those who come here in their younger years, very often return for a holiday later on in life...      thus, attracting such tourists (back-packers) has more than a one off 'reward'...  as does attracting anyone who is likely to be a repeat visitor, the LBGQT+ might be repeat visitors, so attract them, also attract the bar 'mongers', many of them are repeat visitors... 

Thailand misses the point that if has a solid product - it will sell....  Thus, taking measures to make the product of Thai tourism attractive to all is where the attention should be - singling out the LBGQT+ may make people like Jing feel warm and fussy but his warm and fussiness comes with an element of hypocrisy - didn't you want equality ?

Agree to disagree with your B.S.

Your real motive is clear.

• Sad 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Imagine checking into a hotel or going shopping in Emporium and having to tick a 'check-box'...  to identify your sexual preference....    anyone would go nuts about that...   

So... how did they get this data that Jing is clinging onto so much to justify this 'special treatment' ???...    the answer is of course, someone made it up so they can have a 5 day parade. 

You're really obsessed with the special treatment resentment trope. Pathetic. 

As far as how gay tourists are identifiable don't be so dense. Use your imagination. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, stoner said:

this just sounds so silly. 

a normal tourist spends 400b on lunch means a lgbt tourist would spend 16000b. you got laughs mr. 

400 for a lunch?
try 150-200 per person. sometimes even low as 100 baht

25 minutes ago, Mindful Spender said:

400 for a lunch?
try 150-200 per person. sometimes even low as 100 baht

thank you for the insight charlie. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Agree to disagree with your B.S.

Your real motive is clear.

Yup... thought so... you are unable to deal with the discussion with balanced intelligence so you levy accusations at motive instead... 

.. my only motive here maybe perhaps to highlight a degree of hypocrisy, you are providing good examples getting so butt-hurt and responding like a drama-queen... 

-----

Now..  after reading that last sentence, you'll be beside yourself, grasp at the victim-card and accuse me of using homophobic language...

...however, neither the terms 'butt-hurt' or 'drama-queen' have anything to do with your sexuality or that of anyone else - the terms are commonly thrown around the forum without any referece to gender or sexual preference, so you can keep that 'card' in your back-pocket for when you really need it...  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup... thought so... you are unable to deal with the discussion with balanced intelligence so you levy accusations at motive instead... 

.. my only motive here maybe perhaps to highlight a degree of hypocrisy, you are providing good examples getting so butt-hurt and responding like a drama-queen... 

-----

Now..  after reading that last sentence, you'll be beside yourself, grasp at the victim-card and accuse me of using homophobic language...

...however, neither the terms 'butt-hurt' or 'drama-queen' have anything to do with your sexuality or that of anyone else - the terms are commonly thrown around the forum without any referece to gender or sexual preference, so you can keep that 'card' in your back-pocket for when you really need it...  

My God you're an insufferable pedantic bore. 

No obligation to respond to tedious disingenuous baiting.

Cheerio.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK I'll give you that one as it was actually funny! Instead of the usual stupid and mean. 

Naturally it's not an original idea though:

never even knew it existed. stupid and mean ? 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Intentional distortion of actual news. The U.S. embassy has indeed warned that they have information that there may be terrorist attacks at some Pride Events globally. Nothing specific about Bangkok. People can decide for themselves about risk but many Pride Events are wisely paying more attention to security. If that isn't happening in Thailand, that's reckless.

You are mistaken. The email I got was strictly for travellers in Thailand and specifically for this event. It was unusual to get such an email and the only other times I got this type of email from the Embassy was when they had the protests and there was violence predicted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Why does everyone get so worked up about this, we're entitled to opinions and entitled to voice them, but who cares.

A bunch of fellow humans want to walk/dance through the streets, wearing costumes and makeup (or not), having fun. 

It generates revenue, if Siam can make it an annual thing, and do it properly, the money and exposure can be substantial.

And we always have the option to start our own event, Fat Bastard Beer Belly Day or White Honky Pride Day.

Marching, lurching, staggering white guys, drunk and belligerent, dressed in flips flops, and singlets that aren't quite long enough so they show just right amount of underbelly, shouting occasional obscenities at onlookers. Not sure what the anthem blasting out of low quality stereo speakers should be though.  Suggestions?

* there will be some scuffles for sure heh, ladyboi love be crazy.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 1

Cheerio.

Thought so... you have no intelligent response because you know you are overly bias and opinions you grasp onto are flawed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I glad I am out of the country when this vile travesty takes place?  I won't have to see it on the TV, or see the smiling diId@ himself, our PM, being a prIck marching in a parade;  read about it gay exploits; or have anything to do with this. 

• Thanks 1

Sad to see this pride nonsense coming to Bkk, nothing against gays and same sex marriage, but being gay is hardly a life achievement, and nothing to be 'proud' about. Many gays think this parading around in exhibition mode does not help and is divisive, I agree. I would have thought the PM would have more important things to do than attending camp street marches with that silly flag waving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Why does everyone get so worked up about this, we're entitled to opinions and entitled to voice them, but who cares.

A bunch of fellow humans want to walk/dance through the streets, wearing costumes and makeup (or not), having fun. 

It generates revenue, if Siam can make it an annual thing, and do it properly, the money and exposure can be substantial.

And we always have the option to start our own event, Fat Bastard Beer Belly Day or White Honky Pride Day.

Marching, lurching, staggering white guys, drunk and belligerent, dressed in flips flops, and singlets that aren't quite long enough so they show just right amount of underbelly, shouting occasional obscenities at onlookers. Not sure what the anthem blasting out of low quality stereo speakers should be though.  Suggestions?

To an extent, I think you are correct - why not let a bung of fellow humans walk and dance through the streets - but for 5 days ??...   

But at the same time...  IF someone were to try and instigate a 'White Honky Pride Day' it would get shut down immediately...  and rightly so...    I used the example of having a parade for 'Married Couples'... that soon would be shut down as if offends non hetero minorities...   

It is from this perspective I argue that the playing field has been unlevelled as any balanced opinion which does't perfectly fit the LBGQT+ agenda is knee-caped by the victim card.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Seeking LGBT tourists is not ridiculous at all! You obviously know nothing about the economics of tourism. Targeting demographic groups that on average spend more or even much more is the name of the game! 

You really think people are going to travel thousands of miles just to mince down the road in fancy dress?

Maybe. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, proton said:

You really think people are going to travel thousands of miles just to mince down the road in fancy dress?

Why not...  they travel to Sydney...    For the Gay and Lesbian Mardis Gras Parade...  

The smallest voices often shout the loudest...      perhaps they need to and I'd support their voice, just not the manner in which 'they' shout. 

You can see this here the way Jing plays the victim with any post he disagrees with...  discussion can't be held or entertained, instead hiding behind accusations is the go to response.

Sure there are bigots about, but in general, the world doesn't care if people are LGBQT+ they just care about how people behave and how their agenda is forced on the rest of the world with inflammatory yet ridiculous attempts behavior such as Trans wanting to use female toilets or participate in female events etc...   such behavior does no one any good.

Edited by richard_smith237

Oh you mean Trump rallies.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Cheerio.

Cheerio, nothing is more boring than people going on about being gay all the time, they are worse than reformed alcoholics. One place that is pride nonsense free is Ugnada lol

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, proton said:

I think gay traveller's are attracted to gay friendly countries in general all year just as any tourism promotion board would.

There is a reason that Taiwan and Spain are much more popular among gay travellers than Iran or Jamaica or Russia. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Cheerio, nothing is more boring than people going on about being gay all the time, they are worse than reformed alcoholics. One place that is pride nonsense free is Ugnada lol

More bigotry on display. Some overt. Others shielded with rationalized BS

. So predictable.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think gay traveller's are attracted to gay friendly countries in general all year just as any tourism promotion board would.

There is a reason that Taiwan is much more poplar among gay travellers than Iran or Jamaica.

Maybe sex tourists should have a march and a pride week? plenty of them come here for sex. I can just picture them parading down the streets in cargo shorts with a beer in their hand and their arm round a bar girl young enough to be their granddaughter.😀 Monger pride week, brings in more cash than anything!

Edited by proton
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

More bigotry on display. Some overt. Others shielded with rationalized BS

. So predictable.

You missed out hater, nazi, transphobic and racist lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

What I don't get is why so many tourists and retirees come to the most gender-diverse and sexuality-tolerant place in the world and spend so much of their time getting wound up by it.

In the last 15 years here I've worked with toms, ladyboys, gays, and yes even straights - and we all get along just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, oldscool said:

What I don't get is why so many tourists and retirees come to the most gender-diverse and sexuality-tolerant place in the world and spend so much of their time getting wound up by it.

In the last 15 years here I've worked with toms, ladyboys, gays, and yes even straights - and we all get along just fine.

Absolutely, they want to be treated the same as everyone else, and apart from a few legal areas are. No need for this imported pride nonsense in Thailand

• Agree 2