UK passport renewal - latest requirements and advice please

Hi

Realised my UK passport is only valid until September 2024 and that I need to get a new one.  Can anyone advise me on the latest regulations and advice need to do this as seamlessly as possible.  I live in the deep south and realise this probably neccesitates a visit to BKK so before I go any help or advice rewgarding the correct forms and the correct procedures will be gratefully received

Many thanks

JAF

Off topic but perhaps useful to Oz folk.....

You can now do the whole process via mail. Very simple and my recent renewal took 20 days start to finish.

2 hours ago, transam said:

You could use an agent done totally by post, they do everything for a fee of around 5000bht + the passport fee......

There are a couple of well known agents, Key Visa Services is one......🤗

Decided to go the agent route. Thai Visa Centre who took care of my retirement visa quoted a price of 11,500 inclusive which is going to be far cheaper than me travelling and staying in BKK for 2 days.  Only thing that worries me is they quoted a time of 11-13 weeks (case by case) when surely it shouldnt take so long.

Thanks for your advice

JAF

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Decided to go the agent route. Thai Visa Centre who took care of my retirement visa quoted a price of 11,500 inclusive which is going to be far cheaper than me travelling and staying in BKK for 2 days.  Only thing that worries me is they quoted a time of 11-13 weeks (case by case) when surely it shouldnt take so long.

Thanks for your advice

JAF

You can phone Key Visa Service, speak English, as to how long UK passport turn around, I doubt it is 11/13 weeks..🤗

Or email in English..

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Thanks for your advice

JAF

Renewed recently - submitted / collected in person.

3 week turn around.

All quite smooth, despite hiccup with payment using Thai bank card, and then toing and froing with passport office. Ended up transferring funds from UK bank.

Use a UK debit card for remittance.

All the best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Thanks for your advice

JAF

I renewed my passport in Dec last year, using an agent, it took  two weeks exactly. They always quote the worst possible turn around time!

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I renewed my passport in Dec last year, using an agent, it took  two weeks exactly. They always quote the worst possible turn around time!

Can I ask which agency you used?

5 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

apply yourself online.

get it sent to a mate in the UK, and get them to post it here.

It's an idea but don't forget to send your old passport to your mate so he can send it to HMPO.  And maybe keep a copy of it here just in case immigration or anybody else have any need to see it while it's away, that's precisely why the system for replacement works as it does here as it's legally required to have or be able to at least access your actual passport at all times.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

apply yourself online.

get it sent to a mate in the UK, and get them to post it here.

Goes missing in the post, great idea..............🤔

Passport has to be with you at all times, it carries the info on your permission to stay in a foreign country.

Your passport does not belong to you, it belongs to the Crown, use the system in force to renew, legally......🤗

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I was in the UK this time last year and there were notices all over the place saying passport renewal was in excess of 10 weeks, but not seen any so far this year.

With UK holiday makers leaving things to the last moment, renewal time can be seasonal and this is the worst season.

The general election may well reduce the risk of them going on strike.

Heads up for anyone that has renewed pp..... For transfer of stamps/visa info at CW they are also requiring your bank books if using funds in the bank method (retirement) 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm going to be getting my extension/re-entry permit more or less straight away after renewing my passport so do I need to have the stamps transferred over or can I just hand in both passports? [I use an Agent for convenience & do keep the 800K in the Bank but if I need to transfer the stamps across before extending I'll apply for a new passport a week earlier than I'm currently planning to].

Also, if my 90 day report is due during the renewal process I'm assuming I can just do it online as usual using the old passport number up to the date the new passport cancels the old passport?

Edited by Mike Teavee

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm going to be getting my extension/re-entry permit more or less straight away after renewing my passport so do I need to have the stamps transferred over or can I just hand in both passports? [I use an Agent for convenience & do keep the 800K in the Bank but if I need to transfer the stamps across before extending I'll apply for a new passport a week earlier than I'm currently planning to].

Also, if my 90 day report is due during the renewal process I'm assuming I can just do it online as usual using the old passport number up to the date the new passport cancels the old passport?

Regarding the new pp transfer of stamps and visa info along with extension it's two separate steps.

If you do it on same visit they will do the transfer first and then process the extension.

Regarding the 90 report...if your report window is open ask if you can do that also in person same visit.

Prior to attending immigration for transfer and extension visit your bank and update passport  details..

Here is form for transfer of stamps. #25 on list of downloadable forms.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Regarding the new pp transfer of stamps and visa info along with extension it's two separate steps.

If you do it on same visit they will do the transfer first and then process the extension.

Regarding the 90 report...if your report window is open ask if you can do that also. 

Prior to attending immigration for transfer and extension visit your bank and update details..

Thanks, I try to avoid going to Immigration whenever possible & usually only need to go to have my photo taken at the Retirement Extension desk, so my rough plan is to:

1. Start the Passport Renewal process on 15th July with an expectation that it will be back around 12th August
  2. Do my 90 Day report (due 5th August) online using old passport details on 22nd July
  3. Do my Extension/Re-Entry Permit on 15th August (via Agent)

My extension isn't due until 26th September so if I do need to do a stamp transfer first, the agent will probably do it for me at the same time as doing my extension but worse case, I can do it & then go back to get them to do the extensions once it's done. 

Many thanks for the heads-up around needing an updated Bank Book, I'm used to making a small addition to my FD account before getting the letter/statement for my extension so will make sure I do an extra one if I need to for the stamp transfer. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Start the Passport Renewal process on 15th July with an expectation that it will be back around 12th August

Which country passport.

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Many thanks for the heads-up around needing an updated Bank Book,

In addition to the updated bankbook they wanted photocopies of all months since previous extension granted and photocopy of name- account number page. 

This was CW

Mine was back within a couple weeks, but bearing in mind you need to go to Bkk twice, or have a mate post it down to you. Would probably go agent route in the future, albeit not happy having passport in the Thai postal system. The courier the VFS use in Bangkok is super-fast.

Might be a bit slower than the above now because summer is approaching and many Brits are also scrambling to renew since the new rule of passports having to be issued within 10 years to visit Euro countries. Beforehand you could get 10+ years up to the date of previous one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which country passport.

In addition to the updated bankbook they wanted photocopies of all months since previous extension granted and photocopy of name- account number page. 

This was CW

UK Passport, going to use one of the Pattaya based agencies to do it for me. 

Account is a Fixed Deposit account so I think all of the transactions would actually be on the 1st page 😊

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

UK Passport, going to use one of the Pattaya based agencies to do it for me. 

One report in this thread of 3 week turn around and in another thread recent turn around 20 days. 

• Thanks 1