Why are there restrictions on weed but not on alcohol?

5 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Definitions from Oxford Languages:
dope
/dōp/
noun
INFORMAL
a drug taken illegally for recreational purposes, especially marijuana or heroin.
"my dad caught me smoking dope"

So, dope is Cannabis or Heroin, and my comment was in reply to: "Dope, I suppose we must thank the Chinese for that, though I am not going look"

Fair enough, Opium isn't Heroin though...

• Agree 2

Well, they tried to ban alcohol in the US with the 18th constitutional amendment. As a result, crime rose throughout that period, known as Prohibition. Several European nations also introduced prohibition but due to Hollywood, the American version is more famous.

After that failure they had to repeal it using the Twenty-first Amendment. It is the only Constitutional amendment ever repealed (that I know of).

People use alcohol to help them relax and lower inhibitions, which explains a lot of wild behavior by normally shy Thais.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Fair enough, Opium isn't Heroin though...

It is not opium, but it is an opiate. 

Heroin is a drug made from morphine which comes from opium...

Heroin started it's life as a cough suppressant.... from Bayer.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:45 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

And after I posted this, within an hour I had someone who found my not needing a gun for protection confusing and another who found it sad. There are some very, very weird people on this forum.

i have never even been in a fist fight

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Because ALL of the politicians and rich people own shares of the alcohol business and only a few own shares in the weed business. :wai:

look into canada's cannabis industry and you will find them. 

On 5/21/2024 at 5:55 PM, BangkokReady said:

weird, because alcohol causes more harm than guns, yet serves no actual purpose, while guns are useful for self-defence. 

This comes from an American I suppose. Obviously you like teachers with a gun, students killing other students, neighbour killing neighbour?

In addition your statement is wrong🙏

• Confused 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:59 AM, Purdey said:

Well, they tried to ban alcohol in the US with the 18th constitutional amendment. As a result, crime rose throughout that period, known as Prohibition. Several European nations also introduced prohibition but due to Hollywood, the American version is more famous.

After that failure they had to repeal it using the Twenty-first Amendment. It is the only Constitutional amendment ever repealed (that I know of).

People use alcohol to help them relax and lower inhibitions, which explains a lot of wild behavior by normally shy Thais.

Well, and then there are those strict Muslim countries. No alcohol. I wonder how they can survive? 😂

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:55 PM, BangkokReady said:

I often wonder about this myself.

When it comes to other things that people want banned, cigarettes and guns seem a lot more urgent.  It's weird, because alcohol causes more harm than guns, yet serves no actual purpose, while guns are useful for self-defence.  Equally, cigarettes are often the target of negative press, while alcohol, which also has a lot of negative health effects, pretty much gets ignored.

I think the problem is that alcohol is simply too popular for the cons to outweigh the pros.  That is, the harm caused by alcohol doesn't bother people as much as not being able to drink it would.

Many studies show that guns are used much more for violence than for self defence

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:59 AM, Purdey said:

Prohibition was not all bad?It was the reason behind a new industry that is still enjoyed by many people,mainly in the US.

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

This comes from an American I suppose. Obviously you like teachers with a gun, students killing other students, neighbour killing neighbour?

In addition your statement is wrong🙏

How so?

There aren’t any restrictions on weed. I recently smoked it at an outdoor restaurant. In fact oh yeah I better bring some joints with me to Pattaya in case we don’t get to a new weed shop right away. 

Posted (edited)

Weed and regular consomption booze are bad for the mind. One plainly has to sit in some funky girlie bar in Thailand and listen to the lads talking. You almost feel sorry for the numbness of their minds, totally dried out with regular booze (or weed) consomption. Legal or not is one thing. But the main responsability is individual and a personal choice on how long one wants to enjoy life. Up to you, as they say.... stay safe and healthy.

Few glases of wine and some booze here and there once or twice a month when mingling socially definately does not harm. But the chaps who are feeding on beer and malt daily for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner and night cap...what to say ? sad really.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Confused 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:14 PM, Conan The Barbarian said:

I mean why not have it on both anyway both of them are harmful to your health and I guess alcohol is more harmful 

The obvious, especially in Thailand, would be to ban anything that titrates more than 15% of alcohol. Which would leave wine and beer.

On 6/1/2024 at 5:03 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Weed and regular consomption booze are bad for the mind. One plainly has to sit in some funky girlie bar in Thailand and listen to the lads talking. You almost feel sorry for the numbness of their minds, totally dried out with regular booze (or weed) consomption. Legal or not is one thing. But the main responsability is individual and a personal choice on how long one wants to enjoy life. Up to you, as they say.... stay safe and healthy.

Few glases of wine and some booze here and there once or twice a month when mingling socially definately does not harm. But the chaps who are feeding on beer and malt daily for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner and night cap...what to say ? sad really.

Username checks out.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1