One dead, 30 injured in Singapore Airlines emergency landing

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Not been officially confirm.

I have posted all the Singapore Airlines updates above.

Oh, thanks 

It was reported that there were 2 deaths on the local radio station. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It was an overnight flight.

Time zone differences?

It would be breakfast time in the UK for some.

Yeh am not a noob, have done many time zone different flights.

never has breakfast been offered GMT+7 on any of them.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

yeah..... weather around these parts at the moment is clear as aye.

idiot.

And so are Clear Air Turbulence and air pockets.

They exist in clear air.

Idiot

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh, thanks 

It was reported that there were 2 deaths on the local radio station. 

Yes saw that reported last night, but nothing official from Airline or hospitals.

Maybe something caught up in the chaos as a mass casualty event like this causes.

If the airline releases any new details I will try to update.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It was an overnight flight.

Time zone differences?

It would be breakfast time in the UK for some.

Its also an hour or two from landing, wake people up, give em something to chew on and get em on the ground.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Its also an hour or two from landing, wake people up, give em something to chew on and get em on the ground.

The flight was heading to Singapore so more than two hours. BKK as correctly stated in the article (they got this right) was the emergency landing airport.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not "nobody" wearing seatbelts. Those buckled up would have been basically unaffected (scared shtless for sure) but those not buckled up would have been airborne.

I was referring to the words in the article. 

Before landing, while in flight, passengers are not required to wear seatbelts and can move around.  For example, to use the restroom.

The turbulence happend "suddenly" in midair.  -Not- during landing.

They were supposed to land in Singapore, not Bangkok.  So obviously, the injuries were due to the incident before landing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Was it not reported this old brittle died from heart attack 

How do you know that?  No, it was no reported.

If true, then it wasn't the result of not wearing a seatbelt during landing, was it?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

How do you know that?  No, it was no reported.

If true, then it wasn't the result of not wearing a seatbelt during landing, was it?

It is reported that he had a suspected heart attack, but what caused it has not been disclosed.

It could be purely from the experience, or it could have been when or if, he hit the ceiling .

The investigation will answer that.

Posted (edited)

Singapore Airlines Killer Turbulence: "Very Unusual To Be NO Warning!" | Ex-Pilot Explains

Possible Pilot error, malfunctioning weather tracking device? .... 

Edited by Kaopad999

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

For those not understanding potential damage to eardrums due to sudden drop in altitude @Woof999

Screenshot_2024-05-22-08-10-26-027_com.android.chrome.jpg

The cabin altitude of that era of jet is about 8000ft and is controlled by bleed air from the engines and outflow valves in the hull. The aircraft suddenly dropping would not cause the cabin altitude to change much, if at all. I reckon those masks dropped down by a combination of the sudden jolt and people's heads hitting the panels, not because the cabin altitude changed.

What I did find interesting is that the early reports stated the aircraft plunged 6000ft in 5 minutes, which is a vertical speed of -1200fpm. That's a slow decent, only 50% higher than final approach descent. A normal decent from cruise altitude could easily be 3 or 4 times greater.

It's not that I don't believe a sudden pressure change can't harm people, it's that I don't believe a sudden pressure change happened here.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Unfortunately, this emergency landing led to injuries of 30 passengers and the death of one."
Passengers died/injured because of the emergency landing. Bad reporting, or bad translation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dinsdale said:

"A Singapore Airlines flight had to make a sudden landing at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok due to harsh weather; sadly, one passenger died and 30 others got injured. The air traffic control team at the airport got an emergency signal from the London-Singapore flight at 4 pm on May 21.

As per a Facebook page called Pilot Notebook, severe weather encountered by the Singapore Airlines plane after it left London for Changi Airport led it to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport instead. Unfortunately, this emergency landing led to injuries of 30 passengers and the death of one. The flight carried 211 passengers along with 18 cabin crew.

The incident may have been caused by unexpected air turbulence over the Indian Ocean, though the official reason remains unconfirmed. It's also believed that the deceased passenger might have sustained fatal injuries due to not buckling the seatbelt during landing."

From what I have read elsewhere this is completely incorrect. The death and injuries occured during flight due to severe turbulance. This article states it was "during landing" 100% wrong. Once again the "journalistic standards" on this site are up to their usual high levels. Then goes on to say the incident happened over the Indian ocean. For sure  though the death and the injuries are certainly down to not being belted up. 

I read on other media that the man died of heart attack, not during landing.

The landing was safe, the problems happened an hour prior to the BKK landing.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You have posted zero facts that breakfast is served on any flight at 4pm in Thailand airspace.

Here is the full menu, taken from the Singapore Airline website, for SQ321. It is the second meal on the flight and time served will depend on departure time from LHR.

It is really simple, a bit like you!

IMG_5771.png

IMG_5772.png

IMG_5773.png

IMG_5774.png

IMG_5775.png

IMG_5776.png

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

777.webp

A Singapore Airlines flight had to make a sudden landing at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok due to harsh weather; sadly, one passenger died and 30 others got injured. The air traffic control team at the airport got an emergency signal from the London-Singapore flight at 4 pm on May 21.

As per a Facebook page called Pilot Notebook, severe weather encountered by the Singapore Airlines plane after it left London for Changi Airport led it to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport instead. Unfortunately, this emergency landing led to injuries of 30 passengers and the death of one. The flight carried 211 passengers along with 18 cabin crew.

The incident may have been caused by unexpected air turbulence over the Indian Ocean, though the official reason remains unconfirmed. It's also believed that the deceased passenger might have sustained fatal injuries due to not buckling the seatbelt during landing.

In related news, bad weather also caused a tragic helicopter crash in Iran on May 19, claiming the life of the Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian and nine others. The chopper had been transporting the leaders from the Azerbaijani border to Tabriz. It battled heavy fog and snowstorm before crashing in East Azerbaijan province's mountains. Iranian authorities have yet to confirm the accident's cause.

Lastly, Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin sent his condolences and ordered all government offices to fly the Thai flag at half-mast in memory of the deceased.

777-5.jpeg

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-21

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Sadly it can happen to any flight ...Let's hope things get better from here especially those hospitalized 🙏 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

God is a bit tired of these last minute requests from humans.

Sorry not my post about god, was what someone posted on my earlier thread.

When I linked that thread, that is what image from AN that came up.

Edited by Georgealbert

11 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Here is the full menu, taken from the Singapore Airline website, for SQ321. It is the second meal on the flight and time served will depend on departure time from LHR.

It is really simple, a bit like you!

IMG_5771.png

IMG_5772.png

IMG_5773.png

IMG_5774.png

IMG_5775.png

IMG_5776.png

Wins the prize for the most informative post of the year.

I quite fancy the black pepper sarnie.